cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last saturday did real good on two things. I bought 450 cell phones from my regular source. That now makes just over 15,500 old beat up and broken cells.

Also while I was on my yardsale route I saw a sale along the route (no advertising and no signs) I asked my usual coins and cell phones questions. Got a no on both but we just started to talk about the computer greenboard parts and plugin cards he had for sale. I guess he liked what I was saying so he told me he did have coins that he inherited from his uncle.

He brought out a plastic box big enough to hold a pair of shoes. It was full of all sorts of coins and proof sets. He said I could buy everything except the proof and mint sets. So I spent the next hour exploring and counting. I could tell he was getting impatient so I threw out a nice number and he accepted.

His uncle did not have any set goal when he collected these coins back in the 1960 and a little later. I found a receipt from a BID BOARD dated 1968 from the same coin shop I went to in 1968. That shop is 40 miles away from here. I think the uncle just bought things that looked nice. there were also just some older clad JFK's and I think the newest coin was 1976. But the oldest is around 1815 or so.

So I guess it is time to figure out macro on my camera and start listing on ebay. I sell very few coins there any suggestions? I don't want to get ripped off because the coins are so small.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Dan,

Since you've done so well with phones, have you ever thought about putting a program together where you team up with schools, churches and other not for profits, like the Boy Scouts?

These groups could collect the phones during a three week drive, and then call you for pick up. You sort and sell the phones, and then pay the church .25 cents each, and more for the good ones, which you could flip on the 'bay. Invariably, you are going to find a do-gooder who has dropped a few working iPhone 5's in the box.

You would need: a collection bin, and some standard flyers that said "Cell Phone Drive-New, Used or Junk".

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you've done so well with phones, have you ever thought about putting a program together where you team up with schools, churches and other not for profits, like the Boy Scouts?

I have started working on something like that already. I have contacted the adult leaders in my daughters old 4H club. They are awaiting on approval from "up-above" I really need to call and ask what is happening.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done well selling coins on ebay. I scan coins using an all-in-one printer and then play around with cropping and image size to get something that ebay will accept that also gives bidders a good image of both sides of the coin. My scans really bring a coin's flaws to light, but at least the bidder is getting an honest picture of the coin.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
CC-Hunter

Great idea using a scanner. Fantastic results. Just never crossed my mind before.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I have started working on something like that already. I have contacted the adult leaders in my daughters old 4H club. They are awaiting on approval from "up-above" I really need to call and ask what is happening.

I'd be pushing to have either your daughter's old 4-H club sponsor the drive at your county fair, or see if they have a Junior Leaders club who could sponsor during the fair.

Why not pull from the whole county, instead of just one club?

I'd have them try to collect the phones at the gate as people drive into the fairgrounds.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be pushing to have either your daughter's old 4-H club sponsor the drive at your county fair, or see if they have a Junior Leaders club who could sponsor during the fair.

Why not pull from the whole county, instead of just one club?

I'd have them try to collect the phones at the gate as people drive into the fairgrounds.

The county fair was last June. I want to start with just one club to work out the kinks (if any) and then i would also be able to say the "Hilltoppers" did real good. The fair idea is good but i do not think too many folks will have old phones on them when they go to the fair. We have two fairs out here. Both managements are hard to work with. All they think about is making money. The worst one is the Los angeles county fair, I think it starts this weekend.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scan coins using an all-in-one printer and then play around with cropping and image size to get something that ebay will accept that also gives bidders a good image of both sides of the coin. My scans really bring a coin's flaws to light, but at least the bidder is getting an honest picture of the coin.

That is exactly what I thought would happen. That is a more then honest picture of the coin. Do you think it brings down the price?

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you decide to sell the coins let me know your eBay name! I might buy some!

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the scan brings down the price of the coin. I think bidders appreciate the best images they can get and good images will help knowledgeable coin buyers grade the coin. In any event, a lot of buyers on eBay overpay anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread