Did you ever see such an ugly Seated dime?

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• ugly dime 1.jpg
    ugly dime 1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 732
  • ugly dime 2.jpg
    ugly dime 2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 733
Upvote 0
What I don't understand is why the nickels come out so nice. I found this V nickel in the same spot.

Attachments

• 1884 V nickel.jpg
    1884 V nickel.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 741
I found an 1899 Barber dime that would give that one a run for it's money in the ugly department. It was found near a burn pile....and the lye in the soil had leached all of the copper from it. Darn shame too....had been nearly new when it was dropped. Even the lower part of the hair ribbon was distinct under magnification. It's junk though....

Wyatt

LOL, since I have yet to find a seated coin there is no such thing as an ugly seated dime!! HH

That is an odd one... It looks like there might be a nice dime under there somewhere... ;D
The nickel looks like it was just pulled out from under a drawer, very nice...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

I had a silver coin like that ,I soaked it in olive oil for a month then I vas able to scrape the crude off with my finger nail. Good luck and congrats on the coin.

Just looks dirty to me bk. A little time in foil and hot baking soda water might just do wonders. I've cleaned shipwreck coins this way and they looked a lot worse than your coin.

Badger

Is that a 46 or a 66? Can't make it out only the 6.Two rare dates if it is either one of them.Nice dime,it'll clean up pretty good,be careful.

Did you ever see such an ugly Seated dime?

Not nearly as often as I'd like to! ;)

PRAIRIEWOLF said:
Do the foil thing BK . It will clean right up with no loss .
I tried the baking soda and aluminum foil thing. It cleaned up pretty good except for the small scratch I put on it.

Attachments

• 1876 seated dime.jpg
    1876 seated dime.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 347
Just kidding!
It didn't really clean up very well. I think I'll need a lot more baking soda. :P

Attachments

• 080506 001.jpg
    080506 001.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 365
  • 080506 002.jpg
    080506 002.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 326

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back