Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
bigscoop, you say:

"Flowers, rocks, etc., do not fall within the scope of metal detecting"

Yes, but laws tend to lump both natural, and cultural (man-made/historical) resources in the same boats. Thus, we are snared in the same "don't alter/touch/deface/collect rules as the natural resources. In fact, even more-so, if you think of it. Because things like wildlife, trees, flowers, pretty rocks, etc... are sort of "renewable". But historic cultural resources, are not. So if anything, we/you are more in trouble, and thus less likely, to prevail on any law-makers to change laws, to allow you to collect cultural resources for your own mantle place. Yes, I know it's silly, because what good is it doing sitting there buried under the soil, and no one even knows it's there, to begin with (ie.: what are you hurting by finding and taking it??). But in they eyes of the govt, lawmakers, and especially archies, it opens a pandora's box to say "ah shucks, go ahead and take a few historically sensitive things". I guess you can argue that something is 50 yrs. or less of age, but what fun is that?? Heck, I don't leave my house for anything less than spanish reales, seateds, etc.... ;D And the context of your question is to find caches, "the big one", etc... so you too are not going to get govt. sanction, no matter how much a lobbying group like the FMDAC fights.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark,
I know.
So let's drop it. We both believe strongly in something for our reasons, and I'm fine with that. Wishing you the best in your endeavors. :thumbsup:

Tom,
You are absolutely correct. :icon_thumright:

Nugget Hunter Smith

Jun 18, 2010
Mobile, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom in Ca is not correct. There are government officials and even archaeologist that would support the "common" man locating "discoveries". There are several Congressman that would support a system simular to the British PSA that on historical/archaeolgical finds the finder would get a fee or able to keep part of it.
But we need numbers and that is what the FMDAC is all about. The more members the more pressure we can apply to make those changes. Do you think the "enviromentals" set by and do nothing, no they are active and we also need to be active and write those letters and email our government officals (city, county. State and Federals) or we will continue to lose this battle.
They apathy like Tom likes and post about is killing OUR/YOUR hobby.
Get off your duffs and do something about it. If you continue to set on the sidelines you might as well put your detector in the closet.
United We Stand, Divided We Fall!
But the FMDAC like many organizations needs new leaders, Don Vickers could be one of those new leaders!

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
Interesting thread Don, and thanks to all who have posted on it. I hope it continues.

To your question:
I want to hear what issues you have had and why you left. I want to know what I can do or change to make you want to come back.
I left the FMDAC this spring soon after our Chapter President was removed/left. I felt everything leading up to this was wrong.
In my eyes the FMDAC was nothing but a event promoter. My feelings were starting to change as I started receiving a lot of emails from Mike our Chapter President informing me about upcoming legislation that I should be sending emails about or making phone calls. I have not received one from the FMDAC since he was canned over a event they didn't think they could make money on even though he had it covered.
I didn't like that a Board member charged the organization $750 to fill out a simple non profit Federal tax report.
I didn't like my dues ($5 cheap, but none the less) used to pay Board members travel and lodging to events. Why are they better than me if they are truly committed, and know in advance what their office would entail ?
I didn't like the way the money was handled for the Wisconsin Legislative fund.
I didn't like the take it or leave it attitude of the majority but not all of the Board members and their attitude of superiority.

I agree with Nugget Hunter Smith, I think the FMDAC needs you Don if it is to continue. If elected I think you need to get in there and wipe the slate clean. Be pro active in the legislation NOT re active. Write and work to get passed new laws that are fair to us.
Work on this and leave the events to clubs.

Hope you win Don and keep posting here on Tnet as after the President censored the FMDAC forum it is your only voice to make the organization known and hopefully better.

~KANSAS~

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I left FMDAC about a year ago. My brother in law also left around that time. I left because I honestly didn't see a need to stay a part of it because like others have said it seemed like FMDAC was just a event promoter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread