DiggerGirls FIRST EVER 1700s Coin--Ive Never Seen one Posted on Tnet Before!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiggerGirl's FIRST EVER 1700s Coin--I've Never Seen one Posted on Tnet Before!

Hello All,

DiggerGirl had just gotten a new Tesoro Tejon as an awesome gift from an awesome husband. 8-) Great upgrade for her from the little Silver uMax.

Anyhow, we meet up with Shanegalang to do some Deep South Detecting in Cane Country. Quindy had told me that he thought that DiggerGirl would be a "Holy Terror" with her new machine, and he was right. Here's the video (photos below).

As soon as she got out in the field, her very first target was a beautifully gilded civilian button. Later on in the hunt, I dug a matching button, but as you can see from the photos below, I got the bum end of that deal. :D (her button is on the left)

HPIM4791.JPGHPIM4792.JPGHPIM4793.JPG

I started putting the pedal to the metal, knowing that I needed to keep pace. I got a nice aluminum signal and popped out a small silver coin. Was really pleased to see that it was a picayune. :headbang:

182_0782.JPG182_0788.JPG

Unfortunately dateless, but goes in the Spanish Silver total for the year. I have high hopes for making a decent showing this fall. Would be impossible to beat last year, but we have to at least be in the race after 19 Spanish Silvers in 2012 and 27 last year. This little coin makes over 50 Spanish Silvers recovered in Louisiana since January '12.

At that point, the rest of the day would be, as they say down here, "lagniappe." I did pick up a musket ball, a couple buttons, and a crusty Shield Nickel.

Well, I heard DiggerGirl cheering and looked up from my sugar cane row. She was saying "Copper." Now, DG has never dug a copper, and to be honest they're hard to find down here. When I got over to her, there was a big ole copper staring me right in the face, still in its clod! :hello2:

182_0790.JPG

When she broke it free, it was so thick I was thinking "Cartwheel!" If you watch the video, you'll hear my mind spinning, trying to come up with an ID on a coin I'd never seen before. Sorry for the couple of French words in the video. It was the coin's fault. :censored:

182_0801.JPG182_0802.JPG

Later on, she dug some barrel tap pieces, what I think may be a piece of a brass horse bit, and part of a spur. I got a fired musketball and some pack rivets. Overall a Home Run. She was giggling all the way home, and cooing over the coin. It's a 1792 French 2 Sol from the reign of Louis XVI. Thicker than a silver dollar. EDIT: As it turns out, a couple of these coins have been posted on Tnet before. Three others dug and posted in the past. BIG Congrats to DiggerGirl!

Inspired by Bill D's EXCELLENT finds photos in natural daylight, here is my photo of hers and my finds for the day. And of course a photo of DiggerGirl with her prized Copper:

HPIM4802.JPG182_0797.JPG

Best Wishes and HH,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 27
Congrats on the cool finds! thanks for the video

Big congrats to DiggerGirl! Are we now to expect she'll now be showing you guys up on a regular basis.......

Congrats on your finds

Way to go guys! The coin looks like a half reale! Check my avatar to see mine ��

Yes the silver one is a half real, known in Louisiana back in the 18th c. as a "picayune."

Yeap, I've seen a couple on here. Still not a common find though. Nice chunk - congrats to diggergirl for ticking one off the list.

Last edited:
Cool coin, scarce dig. I know what you mean by "thick"
I did get a very similar french coin in my first year, an "un decime". I dug it out (shallow) with a spike, because it was in my own yard, and scratched it up pretty good. I wasn't expecting anything near that old. Learned a couple of lessons that day...expect the unexpected, and don't use a spike.

Strange the silver has no date "it seems" quite good otherwise.

This is my french (not meaning to hijack or anything, but with so few I just thought you might like to see it ?)

find1795aug110808.JPG

Congrats digger girl. My half sol I found last year was the size of a US LC so that coin must be huge.

Wow..... great hunt and a killer coin for Diggergirl. Congrats and HH

Great find Digger girl! Congrats on joining the 1700s club. Enjoy that new machine that your "awesome" hubby got you lol

Love to see those unusual coppers found and posted. Congrats to DiggerGirl!

I was beginning didn't think they didn't use copper coils in colonial Louisiana with all of the silver you and your group find. Lol

Congrats guys!! That is a bad coin, I have never dug one, but my father did about 10 years ago, still our only one in the entire collection.

Great finds.

Congrats Molly & Will. Added to the silver count with the half Reale. That French coin is awesome. Like the silvered button too. Did Molly find the spur? HH, Q.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back