Digging - need major help

Ladybuggy

Sep 10, 2010
So, I'm new to the hobby and need major help with my digging. The main locations are in the woods and house lawns. I currently use a medium sized metal shovel, a smaller tool (garden size) that has sharp edges. I generally use the med. shovel and make a circle, pop the plug out and place it on a towel. The towel's purpose is to help keep the lawn clean and also helpful in finding the target. So my holes look ridiculous when I'm done, is this just because the dirt is so dry or is it me?

So what kind of tools should I be using & how should I dig? Suggestions? I really don' want to break or scratch anything exciting.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darn I'm the first!!!! Circles are very bad!!! You need to cut a U shaped plug! and flip it over then USE A PINPOINTER! a hand held detector to help locate the item!!! If the ground is really dry you might want to think about coming back after a few good rain showers!! the U shaped plug allows some roots to survive the digging and the grass wont die out!!!!! I'm sure you will get more helpful comments!!! Chug Try parks that are watered regularly until you get comfortable with it !!!! sand is a great learning area also!!!!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
you also might want to check into buying a Lesche digger, it's smaller than your shovel and leaves smaller holes.
the towel is a good idea to keep it looking clean. good luck

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
I dig holes in the ground for a living. Seriously, 40+ hours a week. What i like to do is cut out a round u shaped sod plug and set it aside. I also bring out a small section of tarp that i've cut out of a larger one. Your towel will work great as well, i use the tarp as its lighter to carry. place all your dirt on the towel/tarp, this allows for easy backfilling. I usually have a shaker screen with me, so I also screen my dirt right over my towel/tarp. Once again this allows me to keep track of it, and back fill it all. It also allows me to dig more holes in a given time period.
Once your done you simply drag the towel/tarp over the hole and dump the dirt back in. then you merely flip the sod plug back on and tamp it down. Unless there is a drought in the area, you will not kill the grass.

Also take a bastard file and sharpen your shovel blade, but only on the front side. This allows you slice through tougher dirt much easier.

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
zerojinx said:
Also take a --deleted-- file and sharpen your shovel blade, but only on the front side. This allows you slice through tougher dirt much easier.

the deleted word above is actually a type of file. It is the name of a child born out of wedlock. Not to be confused with my cursing a file. :icon_scratch:

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I am a relative new comer too, but I have found that using a tool from Lowes called a garden knife works great. It only cost about ten bucks. I second the suggestion on getting a pinpointer. I love mine.

(Ames true temper 7in1) is the name of it. Also, it looks mildly scary if someone is shadowing you in a park. Fiskars is even scarier!

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zerojinx said:
zerojinx said:
Also take a --deleted-- file and sharpen your shovel blade, but only on the front side. This allows you slice through tougher dirt much easier.

the deleted word above is actually a type of file. It is the name of a child born out of wedlock. Not to be confused with my cursing a file. :icon_scratch:

PC for ya..

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I carry a Long knife, military issue, keep it razor sharp, and a digging trowel as well as a metal rod for pin pointing. I have dug squares, round holes and u shaped ones. The main thing is to make sure you leave the ground as you have found it. I have never been questioned about the knife. For relic hunting I use a tool belt to hold a WW2 entrenching tool.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry a knife, too.

It always seems like, whatever I'm after - is in the plug I cut. So, after flipping a plug over, if the item is in it, (I dig a V-shaped U hole), I cut
the plug in half, see which half the item is in - place back the non-item half, cut the half of the half, check and repeat - until I find the item.
I always make sure it is replaced in the exact spot I took it out of, making sure grass in all in the right direction. Then, a well-placed foot, settles
it back to where it came from. And, 99% of the time, I cannot even tell where I dug. (that one percent is the item that is way further down - then its a little harder. I still keep the top of the ground matter separate from the rest, and place it on top after I refill the hole, and I "set" it in.

Just like they do at the cemeteries.

Beth

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and just a little "by the way".

If we are going to our little park here (and some others), we quite often carry a canteen of water. When we have real dry weather, I will sometimes water the hole a little, so the grass doesn't dry out and it stays green. (when the ground has moisture in it, its easy to replace a plug, but, when its really really dry, it keeps things looking nice).

Beth

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a relative new comer too, but I have found that using a tool from Lowes called a garden knife works great. It only cost about ten bucks. I second the suggestion on getting a pinpointer. I love mine.

(Ames true temper 7in1) is the name of it. Also, it looks mildly scary if someone is shadowing you in a park. Fiskars is even scarier!

Yes, there is absolutely NO need to buy a "Lesche" tool. Especially if you are asking how to dig a hole properly.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the standard round plug, but when I put the plug back in I punch holes in the top of the plug so it will help the plug get moisture back in it. I hunt a lot of antebellum homes and it is critical that the plug doesn't die or turn yellow. It works for me. I am glad that you are asking these questions being that you are new to this. www.youtube.com/kshollywood

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread