Digging the Roots of the Beale Treasure

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had an exciting time researching the last few weeks.

1. I have located "Roslin." I have seen the location and the house where Robert Morriss and his niece, Anzoletta Saunders died.

2. I have located "Hunter's Hill" where James Beverly Risque, Giles Ward and wife, James Beverly Ward and wife lived. I have seen the house in photographs but the house no longer stands today. Also, this is the house where Sarah Mitchell Morris died.

3. I have went over and over this property. There is no indication as to where the cemetery may be located or if the interments have been removed else where.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
CONGRATS! JOB WELL DONE! Good to see ya "in the present" & NOT stuck "on the PAST"! Have a GREAT 2018! Keep us "posted'!

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
I have had an exciting time researching the last few weeks.

1. I have located "Roslin." I have seen the location and the house where Robert Morriss and his niece, Anzoletta Saunders died.

2. I have located "Hunter's Hill" where James Beverly Risque, Giles Ward and wife, James Beverly Ward and wife lived. I have seen the house in photographs but the house no longer stands today. Also, this is the house where Sarah Mitchell Morris died.

3. I have went over and over this property. There is no indication as to where the cemetery may be located or if the interments have been removed else where.

Franklin,

I know you are excited. It is seldon we see someone, on TNET, actually doing research that locates lost history. There are a few of us who are looking forward to seeing the documents you have uncovered, photos of the sites, GPS Coordinates, etc. Peter V gave us an approximate location of Hunter's hill but it didn't provide the detail required to actually stand on the spot. GPS coordinates can be the final nail that should preserve your info forever.:notworthy:

I'm also very interested to see what you have uncovered regarding Roslin.

I noitced in your later thread that the Hunter's Hill cemetery has probably been located and that some individual is in the possession of James Beverly Ward's Gravemarker. WOW!

It sounds like you are on a roll and a lot of other information may be forth coming, associated with these finds. Keep up the great work!

Garry

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Garry. It has been a long road and quite hard to keep all of the research together, but I will manage some how, some way. I have been talking to the owners of the property where the cemetery is located or supposed to be located? Without the headstones, I can not pin point the location but I do have a pretty good idea from eye witnesses and next of kin.

I would love to see James Beverly Ward's tombstone. Maybe I will get the chance. The lady that has it, I do not want to contact her yet as it may close other leads I am presently working on. Like the song, "Our day will come."

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sub-divisions went in all around, townhouses and apartments. You know how kids are or contractors. All though I talked to the contractor and he had no knowledge of a cemetery on the property. Most likely the headstones were removed before he built in 1976. I also talked to the first owner of the property. He owned the property for over three years. He had no knowledge of the cemetery either. But, neither of them knew of the old home site of James Beverly Risque or James Beverly Ward. And I know it was there and removed around 1963 or 1964. Still researching and still searching and conversing with people in the area. Something may turn up? The State Archaeologist are not in any hurry may be due to funds. I have not even got to talk to them. I have talked to their boss in Richmond.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it possible that when the headstones were removed from this family cemetery, the bodies were also removed and reinterred at another site?

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible that when the headstones were removed from this family cemetery, the bodies were also removed and reinterred at another site?

I have checked in to that also. There were no stories in the local newspapers. They would have published it, at least they did in Danville in 1906-1907 when they removed the Green Family Cemetery off Paxton Street to Greenhill Cemetery.

I have talked to eye witnesses that saw the cemetery and I have talked to some that saw the tombstones scattered and bulldozed. One was picked up that had James Beverly Ward written on it and it was broke in half. I am still trying to see this tombstone or either a photograph of it.

Incidentally, James Beverly Ward most likely was buried with grandfather Risque's gold watch. I may be able to locate his grave by the gold watch. Next time I am up there I will dowse for it.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked with the State Archaeologist today. We may find out if the cemetery is located in the next few weeks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread