Digital Camera

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose,
In that picture with the lady; that's a pretty large coil. Were you using a BFO machine or a sparkgap TR? The coil looks a little like the ones produced by that guy in Phoenix years ago. I can't remember his name right now, but he built detectors in his garage and advertised them in the different treasure magazines. This was in the late 1960s.

I just remembered: Gardner's Electronics

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HO Short stack: You are correct, that is a Gardner 182, it can still give modern detectors a run for their money. That 3 ft coil was f a s t, and went down to 18 ft on large metalic mases. It even had rudimentary discrimination so that it could be used where most others could not. It could phase out hot rocks. It had an almost perfect balance physically, But it was h---to balance electronically. but I loved it. heheheh

In the 50's it cost between $ 900 -> !,000 US dollars. This when most all others cost around $100.

Don Jose de La mancha

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose:

After finding those mule packs, I sure hope you gave that Gardner's a classy retirement. It deserved a warm place above your mantel, heh? ;D

I was stationed at Luke AFB in the late 1960s as an Airman-one-striper and visited Mr. Gardner at his garage / workshop. I sure did want one of his machines, but on my pay, I just couldn't swing it. I remember, he used thin plywood to build his coils, wooden dowels for the shafts, and thin plywood for the control boxes. He got a pretty good field eval in an issue of one of the treasure hunting mags; either True Treasure or Treasure World.

SICARII

Jun 16, 2009
Hello guys, dont throw away your old electronic metal detectors, Its really hard to find them here in Phil. Please send them to me....

bobthedetector

Greenie
Aug 4, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
There are many things in Texas that defy explanation. Between Alpine and Marfa there is a phenomenon called the "Marfa Lights."

They were first discovered in the 1880s, and on most nights you can see them across the valley. The state even built a very nice roadside rest area to observe them from. I was skeptical about this until I was in Alpine for mountain flying training. A bunch of us went to the rest area around sundown and waited and watched. Sure enough, they appeared. As far as I know, no one has figured out what is causing it. Whether or not gold gives off an aura visible in the IR spectrum or not, the Marfa lights are real.

Bob the Detector

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II & Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
There are many things in Texas that defy explanation. Between Alpine and Marfa there is a phenomenon called the "Marfa Lights."

But as I said in another thread about photographic glows and dancing lights, why do we assume that these lights have anything whatsoever to do with gold or auras? There are an infinite number of things in the world (known and unknown) that we could attempt to attribute lights like these to. Yet, most people want to believe that they are attributed somehow to gold or treasures. It's human nature. After all, these lights could in fact be the result of moles mating underground or Twinkies rotting in the soil. But who wants to believe in that? By golly it must be the aura of gold! Yeah! GOLD! :wink:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Afternoon JB my friend: you posted --> why do we assume that these lights have anything whatsoever to do with gold or auras?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Simply because Gold & Silver have been found by these luminous gases, so hopefully any luminous gas is followed up with that in mind.

I might add that tons of simple scrap metal has been dug up also, as well as enough ground excavated to make many damns.

Don Jose de La Mancha

HiiiQ

Nov 6, 2004
What you are referring to is called "treasure lights". It's actually ball lightning that hovers briefly above buried precious metals. Above gold in the spring (around June 6) blue in color and in the fall above silver (orange color). It can be quite large over natural ore deposits and is the reason for most "UFO" sightings. I'm not certain to what triggers it but my theory is that it's a discharge of static electricity built up underground. Somebody told me that treasure lights are mentioned in the bible...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions