Digital Scale

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your talking about for shipping or a small type 100 gram to .01 gram scale? I bought a "weighmax" brand 75 lb. capacity scale for shipping. It hasn't failed me yet. It has a lifetime warranty. Got it from these guys- http://tinyurl.com/3e4y5vv

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I too bought a cheap Chinese digital scale off eBay to weigh my PM's. It works fine (for now). I really want an old set of triple beams made in the USA, but these will work for now.....

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one for $7.00......looks great, works great, leather case, backlit, free shipping. I dont know how they sell them that cheap.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
I too bought a cheap Chinese digital scale off eBay to weigh my PM's. It works fine (for now). I really want an old set of triple beams made in the USA, but these will work for now.....
Yeah, you probably mean OHAUS triple beams. You better make sure it's a vintage one because the new ones have gone Chinese. Another one bites the dust.

Ohaus is one of the oldest and most well known scale brands. Jim Ohaus is an icon in the scale industry. Ohaus started with Mechanical balances such as the famous Ohaus Triple Beam. Ohaus was purchased by Mettler-Toledo in 1990. Mettler laid off many of the old Ohaus workers and shifted most Ohaus production to China (Originally all Ohaus scales were produced in the USA). This lowered quality and made many Ohaus fans unhappy because Ohaus became just another “Chinese” brand rather then an American Icon. Mettler appointed a new President of Ohaus – ironically the new President is from China and has taken steps to shift even more Ohaus production to China. However quality is back on the rise now that manufacturing has been moved to the Mettler China factory (earlier Chinese production was outsourced). Ohaus will soon cease (if it hasn't already) all USA manufacturing and basically become Mettler’s “Chinese made” brand of scales. It’s sad to see an old American brand become nothing but a nameplate.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown said:
I got one for $7.00......looks great, works great, leather case, backlit, free shipping. I dont know how they sell them that cheap.
It's spelled... C- H- I- N- A !

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
diggummup said:
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Yeah, you probably mean OHAUS triple beams. You better make sure it's a vintage one because the new ones have gone Chinese. Another one bites the dust.

Ohaus is one of the oldest and most well known scale brands. Jim Ohaus is an icon in the scale industry. Ohaus started with Mechanical balances such as the famous Ohaus Triple Beam. Ohaus was purchased by Mettler-Toledo in 1990. Mettler laid off many of the old Ohaus workers and shifted most Ohaus production to China (Originally all Ohaus scales were produced in the USA). This lowered quality and made many Ohaus fans unhappy because Ohaus became just another “Chinese” brand rather then an American Icon. Mettler appointed a new President of Ohaus – ironically the new President is from China and has taken steps to shift even more Ohaus production to China. However quality is back on the rise now that manufacturing has been moved to the Mettler China factory (earlier Chinese production was outsourced). Ohaus will soon cease (if it hasn't already) all USA manufacturing and basically become Mettler’s “Chinese made” brand of scales. It’s sad to see an old American brand become nothing but a nameplate.

Man that sucks. Stories like that burn me up.

We should probably be thanking the ChiComs - their poorly produced garbage has fueled the market for vintage American-made goods.

I will now look for a pre-1989 model Ohaus. Thanks for the heads up diggummup

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread