Dimes = ...

I tried dimes last week. I got $50 worth and just searched the
edges. I found 2 Canadian dimes and 1 Guatemalan coin. I think
I will just stick with halves.

Yeah, halves are the best arent they.

However, I sell all of the 40%ers. I only save 90% coins. So now I have about 90 silver dimes, 15 silver quarters, and a bunch of 90% Kennedy halves saved from searching. So every once and a while it is fun to get a silver dime or 2.

HH!

-CC

If you're just going for silver - without a doubt halves are the way to go. Personally finding a silver dime is a great thrill for me because I already have all of the Kennedy halves (now if I found a Ben, Walker, or 1970D ... that'd be a thrill). In 48,802 dimes, I've found 26 silver ones. If I had searched 48,802 halves and gotten the same results as the 5,553 I've actually searched I would have found 68 90% and 405 40%. In my experience going through $350 dimes and not finding one silver Rosie would be a bummer, but not out of the ordinary.

Brian

Thanks!

I typically average 1 silver dime per $120 dollars.

I collect too. I also look for proofs and such, I have found 2 proof dimes believe it or not.

Why you would break open the set and spend 10 cents I would never know.

-CC

I've found several error coins when searching dimes.You need a good loupe to see them though.I sold one of them on ebay for around $5.Just a little food for thought. :)

Dimes are nice, especially when the halves boxes have not been yielding very well. However, I only search the clear wrapped ones.

65GT350

I've searched 3 boxes ($750) in dimes. Each box had 2 silver dimes in it. I gave up looking for proofs and errors after the first box.

If that kept up and it took a week for me to turn over the $250, then I figured the interest rate would be 33% a year. Better than my CD's and MM's.

The bank with the free coin counter doesn't count halfs. I have to roll them, so dimes are a bit easier. I thought I'd be able to get dime boxes whenever I wanted and only order halves every now and again, but my bank just told me "Can't do this again since we normally charge a fee for more than $100". I'm going to get $100 worth every time I cash a check now.

HH.

I always enjoy dimes. The edges really vary. Some of those dimes are quite thick! And I learned real quick to identify Canadian edges. I was on a roll, and found 3 rosies in $80, but then was skunked on the next $300 I searched. Never found a proof, but I have found some really well-struck pieces. Mercs are rare beyond rare.

Thanks for looking and prelying everyone!

Actually, I thought the same about merc too. BUT, in one roll I found 2 about 8 months ago.

HH!

-CC

i've had really good luck with dimes. but since i find them at work, i usually go through a couple thousand a week there. thats why my totals are high. always love seeing them mercs 8)

However, I only search the clear wrapped ones.

That takes about half a second. Where's the fun in that? :D

Just kidding, a clear-wrapped roll is a life saver when I need my silver fix.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back