Dirty Wheat pennies. What do i do with them?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i have run out of coins to look at. But wait! what about my uncleaned wheat pennies?

I have a treasure chest with around 2000 dirty wheat back pennies. No key dates ranging from 1910 to the last year they were made.
FullSizeRender(19).jpg

What do i do with them?

Do i sell them on ebay in lots of 50 or clean them with a tumbler and look for errors?
I like the idea of looking for errors but maybe the mystery of an uncleaned coin would command a higher price to someone?

Thanks, your opinion counts!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you tumble them and then find a good error you have ruined a chance of getting top dollar.
try selling buy the pound or two on feeBay. The treasure chest would be nice in the photo. put a book or two in the chest and cover with coins. make them spill over on the table. Say you have so many you can't possibly go through them all.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't polish clean my coins, BUT, I DO clean the dirty slim off of them by soaking them in a Rx bottle using a few drops of DAWN LIQUID SOAP with hot water, shake every few hours, for 2-3 days, rinse well, tap dry with soft cloth or paper towel. Coins will not have a polished appearance, but will be much cleaner to see and handle. Try a few to see if you like, nothing to loose.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do ya’ll think about boiling dirty copper cents, especially dug ones? I remember that my mom used to boil all the Mexican coins they got while vacationing in Mexico before they she gave them to us for fear of germs.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you tumble them and then find a good error you have ruined a chance of getting top dollar.
try selling buy the pound or two on feeBay. The treasure chest would be nice in the photo. put a book or two in the chest and cover with coins. make them spill over on the table. Say you have so many you can't possibly go through them all.

But how do i find a good error without cleaning? It's a catch 22

I don't polish clean my coins, BUT, I DO clean the dirty slim off of them by soaking them in a Rx bottle using a few drops of DAWN LIQUID SOAP with hot water, shake every few hours, for 2-3 days, rinse well, tap dry with soft cloth or paper towel. Coins will not have a polished appearance, but will be much cleaner to see and handle. Try a few to see if you like, nothing to loose.

This may be an option. Thanks for the idea!

What do ya’ll think about boiling dirty copper cents, especially dug ones? I remember that my mom used to boil all the Mexican coins they got while vacationing in Mexico before they she gave them to us for fear of germs.

Not sure if hot water is any better than cold when it comes to cleaning them. I do know boiling water kills germs. This may be what your mom was doing. Remember, never drink the water in mexico!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the idea of using Dawn on them without the tumbling. Our German Shepard had a run in with a skunk last night and Dawn sure helped us remove the smell, almost, lol!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't decide, just send them to me! I'll get rid of them for you. :laughing7:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the idea of using Dawn on them without the tumbling. Our German Shepard had a run in with a skunk last night and Dawn sure helped us remove the smell, almost, lol!

Go to WalMart in the hunting section and get some scent killer soap for deer hunting. Works great for skunked dogs. Gary

ConshyBoy

Sep 11, 2018
Conshohocken PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000 Garrett Ace 400 BH Tracker 4 Vulcan 360 AT Pro Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea send them to me I have nothing but time on my hands l FAB90A31-381F-4E4E-9C64-0314294F7517.jpeg cant go Detecting due to injuries

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just put them in a pot in the sink with HOT water and Dawn dish washing soap and stir them with a wooden spoon. OR, tumble them (that's what I do), and I have NEVER had trouble selling them after. Good Luck!:occasion14:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Top dollar is out of the question for dug copper coins unless they were contained in a jar or something that kept them from getting dirty in the first place.
Honesty will get you a lot farther in sales than BS.
I agree with Terry and others, tumble them. A well circulated coin has the polished appearance. Why not make all the ones you dug look more like undug cents?

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tumble mine with a little Dawn, but it would be interesting to see if they could fetch more on ebay dirty...

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a coin collector... when I buy things on ebay (even if it is just pennies) I usually don't even think about buying things that have a polished or cleaned appearance. I would always prefer to receive a dirty tarnished coin to one that has been cleaned.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Perhaps just selling them on Feebay as they are?:dontknow:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
For most of the Wheat Cents without gummy or other accumulations on them, throw them in a Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaning Machine with water, turn on and leave them in for an hour or so. Check to see if additional times is needed and if so, run them through again. You might need to change the water because it may become so dirty and/or cloudy that you can't see the condition of the coins without removing them. For the gummed up ones or the ones that have other accumulations on them, you might try the Dawn and hot water bath, then a bath in Acetone, then rinse, then into the Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaning Machine. If after that, it is hard to tell an error on a coin or make out much of the details, then it is not worth much more than the Copper value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread