What's new

Disagreements with tag along friends while you metal detect... Who owns what?

1869er

Full Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
142
Reaction score
29
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend of mine... An ex girlfriend actually who wanted to go MDing with me, and has been bugging me for a while about it, and she's never gone detecting before. After discussing it I realized that she expected to get half of what ever we found while detecting the local beach. Is it just me, or does that seem to be a good scam.... Walk with me on the beach, while I use my detector and she gets half of any gold we find. If a gold bar happened to pop up that day... We would've probably needed the courts to figure out who owns what?

If you stand in a garage while a mechanic fixes a car engine, would that person deserve half of the income for the work?? Glad we discussed, or argued about this before we went. She's thinks I'm a big jerk now... What do you guys think? Who's right here?
 
I would have told her she gets nothing you find, if she wants to keep any gold she needs her own detector, especially since she is an "ex"..... My wife gets first choice of most I find, but she is the wife, not an ex......The "wife" has benifits, an "ex" has none... I can only think of one exception, but since this is a family friendly forum I want go into that..... :tongue3:
 
I have numerous friends who want to know where I am prospecting. Seems to me that is
the same as sharing your finds. I always tell them I am working someone else's claim
and that I don't have permission to take them with me. Most of them then want to be
taken along without telling the claim owner. Now I know who not to take along.
Amazing how greedy and uncaring most people are. The good ones have their own
detectors and sites. Those I can work with.
Happy hunting (secretly!).
Rich
 
ROFL

EX ? Did you give her Half of everything when You Broke Up ?

I Guess she's after the Other Half, Including all Future
Possessions :laughing9:

Marry Her !!!!!!!!!



NOT
 
Ha, Ha, hA! LOL!
Some funny comments here.

Yea, I told her she needs to get her own detector to keep the finds. That upset her a bit. I guess people loose touch with logic a bit when it comes to treasure, seems to bring out the bad qualities, jealousy, greed, etc...
 
This same thing has happend to me ,but it was on a piece of land and it was the owner.The owner told me that he lost his college ring out on his land and I told him that I might be able to find it with my MD,so I drove out to his land and he told me where he thought he had lost it.About 15 minutes later I find it,he offers to pay and I said no thanks and instead of the money could I keep swigging the coil,he says sure,and after about an hour he comes out and asks me what I had found.I showed him a few old coins from the 1900's and a spoon and some metal pieces of toys.He tells me that that stuff is his ,so hand it over :icon_scratch:,I thought to myself,you gave me permission to swing my coil and you didn't help so why do you get any. So I said how about 50-50 and he says it more like 90-10.
So I gave him everything ,got in my car and drove away :help:
 
Just think how lucky you really are! You made her an ex. Many people have married someone like that before finding the big character flaws! :headbang:
 
It's all in the deal. Set up the deal before hand so everyone knows where they stand. That heads off the greed factor. With the ex girlfriend, say she has to do all the digging to earn her half. She probably won't ask after the first trip.

produceguy, You should have told him that you would look for his ring if you could keep every thing else that you found that day. That way there would be no grounds for him claiming anything except the ring.

Frank
 
The things we will do for the ladies...........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! lol
 
is she runnin the shovel?

Otherwise.... why are you payin half to hear "Im tired, Im thirsty.....I need to go pee."

(much love to the lady's here.... but in the context of things...)
 
remember this lil fact --- an ex is a ex for a reason normally * -- fiscal takeover / control of another persons wealth (greed) is often a factor in why couples break up (it works both ways )--women often want "total control' of a guys complete income in exchange for "bedroom rights" -- this is in effect nothing but "high dollar hooking" in my veiw -- avoiding women who are "gold diggers" * is a very good ideal -- because they are only "into you" for what they can "get out of you."
 
My gf/fiance is great she digs sifts thru with bare hands and will even swing when my arm needs a break! Thought about buying her a machine but why ruin a good thing! Havent gotten my knees dirty since meetin her! Im in love.
 
She's an ex to begin with, so there must be some reason behind that :laughing7:

Look, I'm willing to take the time to help you out here, so heed my advise. If you do agree to give her have your finds, at the end of the day hand her over all the pull tabs, and keep the good stuff for yourself. :thumbsup: :laughing7:

That's a done deal in my book :laughing9:
 
Just switch the killer find with a wheatback that you have cleverly hidden, ready at hand, works every time. This solves the "tag along friend syndrome", which is very similar to the "hoard of cool little kids that swarm you" syndrome, but more complex tactics are needed for those little vultures.
 
I'd tell her that she needs to pay half for the detector, half on the gas and any other expense, and DIG & SIFT through the dirt, and half of any cleaning of finds. And to pay for the detector before the next outing. She what she says then..... Then, I think I'd be leaving any person behind who has this type of mentality.....self entitlement just don't cut it for me.
 
Why would an EX want to hang around? You broke up for a reason. Sounds like a very greedy type of person. Good job on dumping her, and don't worry whether or not she thinks you are a jerk.
 
good call on making her a "EX" -- before long term investment (years of being together building assets together) or children took place -- because then it would have really cost you to be rid of her.
 
Thats called a girlfriend with benefits! :laughing7: NO way,she gets anything
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom