Discovered pottery shards

johnger1

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these pottery shards in the canyon behind my home. I live on the Rancho Palos Verdes peninsula, north of Los Angeles. Is there any way to determine who made them and when?
photo (19).JPG

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check your local historical society website or something of that nature.
But I can tell you this.. it looks Spanish and old.. 16-1700's ish
The coarse earthen ware looks like pieces of broken olive jar I've found on Spanish shipwrecks from the 1715 fleet.
The ceramic looks like it might be blue and white porcelain.
Olive jars were often coated with tar on the interior to keep them water tight.
Keep your eye out for a doughnut shaped rim that was the top of the neck. Sometimes they were marked to signify where they came from.
Sometimes the shoulder portion was marked also.

ForumRunner_20130516_224354.png

ForumRunner_20130516_224459.png

ForumRunner_20130516_224543.png

I'd be running my metal detector through there.
Hope that helps... 8-)

ForumRunner_20130516_224754.png

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job guys.. its surprising how much that looks like Spanish pottery.
I was thinking.. Spanish mission.

darthoblio

Jun 19, 2010
They look Indian to me, not Spanish. I used to live in San Diego County, and at one time I had a whole box of shards harvested from the area between Jacumba and the Mexican border. Hard to say how old, but they could be VERY old.

OP
OP
J

johnger1

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestions. The spanish mission makes sense, there's a few spanish missions nearby. The marking on the pottery remind me of markings I've seen on some pieces of Anasazi pottery I collected a while back. But, the Anasazi ones were 2 or 3x's as thick. I forgot to give a reference for size, these are very thin, maybe only 1/8" thick. Also, the Anasazi had a flat finish, these have a bit of a shine to them,possibly glazed. I think the pottery came from elsewhere, as there isn't a local source of clay in the surrounding area and the Tongva people were known for there bowls and similiar objects ground/carved from basalt, as well as weaved baskets, that were so tightly made,they could hold water. My understanding is that due to the clay situation, they didn't produce any pottery. Sorry, I didn't mean to withhold information.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome johnger1 informative. I would have guessed a polychrome anasazi. Out of my realm good I.D fellas.

I always like the examples published here as anasazi was not always black and white.

Historical Pottery

alchino

Sep 16, 2019
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've found quite a few artifacts in Palos Verdes too, including shell middens, pestles, sinkers and bone tools. I'm no expert on indian pottery but i would have an expert look at it if i were you. The only possibility that its indian pottery is that its from the spanish, the Tongva were'nt known for their pottery but for their baskets. Either way cool find, and would love to see what else you got!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread