Discovery ch. Gold Rush Alaska

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
It's like the coin roll hunting forums here on this website. Most people post that the #1 rule about GOLD or CRH is to not talk about CRH or "where the gold is", yet, it's ok to post about it.
Which is worse than talking because it leaves a traceable signal, post and timeframe, and gives over 1 billion people access to the same information.

So, I tend to think that it will be a nice show to watch, but some people will see the truth in the end, about gold, and the "show".

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was going right , i guess i will have to try the left . i heard a lot of people are doing good on the left :laughing7: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
i know where all the "gold" is ready ? --its in the ground --there you go :wink: :icon_thumright:

any treasure hunting thing is a -- you vs the world sort of thing --be it finding shipwrecks - looking for a good spot to MD--or trying to find the bank loaded with silver coins to CRH -- the more folks do it the less there is to get / find on a per person basis --- now sad to say some folks are totally slap eat up by the greed bug * ( thier motto in life is --mine,mine,mine) these sad and pitiful folks are unable to share with others at all and thus are unable have freinds to do stuff with , and share the joy of finding stuff with. -- they need to watch -the treasure of the serria madre

money is a great slave but a lousy master*

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i enjoy the search ,that is the real thrill . it's not so much the money - i have met some very good friends along the way . never liked the greedy types , they give us all a bad reputation . if you want to see what it is all about give a nugget to a kid ,or a newbie . sooner or later the greedy ones will realize that it's not worth it -too much work . but the ones who do it for a hobby , or the general love of the adventure will do it for a lifetime.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Well see for me I have planned to go live in Alaska since I was little, its my dream and this show puts that dream of mine in jeopardy somewhat. I am taking courses at college and I should graduate next semester and had planned to find a job there in Alaska with my degree when I graduate. I don't like big crowds and I don't like big cities, not one bit and I love the outdoors which is why I had planned to move there. I know how hard it is to find workable land there already that is not claimed. This show is just going to make that worse, which is why I said boo. In Alaska, mining is still big bucks, but bringing publicity to that fact will just bring in more government regulations and Enviro-nazis. Look at what happened in California with dredging, next thing you know it will be no sluicing, high banking, etc in Alaska. Any publicity is bad imo.

Also, it depends on how they do this show too. If they show these guys putting a pan in a river and coming out with nuggets that first pan, well we don't need a show like that period. But if they show it like it really is, hard work, and oftentimes not rewarding, then I am all for it.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alaska is a big wilderness and like the dad said on the show "It takes some Kahunas to do this" :laughing7:
He also said every man in America would like to be with them on their adventure, and I know I would.

Anyway gettin' gold is not easy even for experienced miners, let alone newbies. They do have some nice equipment but it takes more than heavy equipment to find gold.

I predict they will have lots of troubles just like everyone else.
Unless they strike it rich they will probably make more from the show than off the gold.

But they are motivated and I'm sure if there is any gold on their claim they will find it.
However just to break even on their expenses they will have to find a lot of gold!

I estimate they have at least $250k tied up in mining equipment and transportation so far, not even counting food and supplies for 6 men and 3 boys for the 90 day plus or minus mining season. And I also didn't add in how much they paid for the claim. :dontknow:
They would have to average at least 2 ounces of gold every day seven days a week just to break even and that's if they only have $250k invested.

In case anyone missed the first episode or wants to watch it again here it is in four parts.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

1972buick455

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2010
Interesting show thus far. Does anyone else think the old man is a crazy jacka$$? He almost destroyed the shaker, his own truck and then he went off digging holes in random places with the big backhoe. I love it, I just hope he don't kill himself or someone else.

I found it humorous that they are "roughing it" with 5 huge trailers.

I do think these guys have the potential to strike it big.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched tonight...12-10-10... So far all I've seen is a new twist on the REALITY SHOW theme. TTC

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Astro....when i was 19 myself and three friends left one may in a '86 chevy S-10 blazer heading for Anchorage to get a job working in a cannery we all got one in Cordova south of Valdez you could only get there by boat or plane.Out of the four of us im the only one whe stuck it out....and went back four more summers (actually from late April to late september 'cause of fishing trips) working at Denali National Park one year i actually made $14.00 an hour as a "History Interpreter" showing people what it was like to be a miner(sorta kinda) i didnt wash my pants all season to be Authintic as possible ...really..... ::) and how to pan for gold .i came home one summer with a film cannister almost full of gold that i sold in Lake Tahoe the following fall for 90% spot at a pawn shop spot being like 268 dollars...lol.....and then cry...and i got about two ounces out of one creek by just parking and walking down a trail on days off,and never saw a soul......my advice just GO......you have a degree you will get a job easily.....and theres no shortage of land belive me man theres just a shortage of how the hell do i get to there??????

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:-\ YUCK--miners depicted as tear the LL outta everything, jeopardize your childrens lives,doing absolutely stupid insane dumb stuff,shooting anything with a heartbeat is NOT being threatened for your life,LOUSY planning and no finishing equipment to even conduct the op,on and on and on--this brings too many eyes on us and this band a idjets??? BAD PR___John :tongue3:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was surprised to hear that they only had 150K invested in equipment :o

Not bad for: a semi tractor and trailer, two excavators, a tri-axle dump truck, a front loader, a shaker, a trommel, water pumps, generators, etc.

Hoser is right about their lack of planning and expertise and showing miners in a negative way, plus I doubt we have seen the worst of their antics either. :laughing7:
Can you imagine the drama when when their wives get there :help:

Check out these photos, looks like they do finally get it together: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/gold-rush-alaska/photos/mining-photos.html

GG~

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at the pics it looks to me like they may be a little more organized than they are letting on.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
LOOKS LIKE "JACKASS" GOES MINING TO ME. -- no one gets any dough until they hit pay dirt --oh yah -- and their wifes are not going to stand for that very long (you got free food and shelter up there well what about me and lil jr and sissy ?) --i gotta go to work , busting my hump and supporting the household while you "play" your non paid gold miner stuff -- you best come home and get a steady paying frickin job of any type -- is what the wives will be saying very soon --count on it .

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
Thanks Goodyguy for posting the episode... I hope I can find episode 2 for free somewhere because I've got to say I enjoy the show, and also have learned alot about industrial mining.

I can't wait to see that trommel in action, it's huge... I mean, it's a TV show, and those guys are millionaires... if they fail., they still havelife family, and a bunch of mining equipment.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recorded it and been watching it. To much repetitive scenes like I forgot what happened between commercials. Looking for that pay streak and working it is the way to go. A few sample holes probably didn't hurt just made a big mess of the place. To have some one doing the sample panning that is color blind and never worked a gold pan before :icon_scratch:

The neighbor across the river seams to be on the right course.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Episode two:

OP
OP
01 medicated

01 medicated

Mar 2, 2010
N.C.
Detector(s) used
MXT 6x10dd-4x6dd
Jackass goes mining thats a goodone, colorblind greenie running the test pan priceless. wish these guys the best of luck looks like there going to need it. Wonder if Discovery Channel is helping out funding this venture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread