Diving the Sea of Cortez BAJA MEXICO

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? I was wondering if there are any wreck of interest in this area?? ?Any history/rumors of wrecks that are undiscovered with anything of real value on them??

A&Q)? Just how involved do you intend to get?? I have one? but it will need? a valid? permit from the Mexican gov't.? Can you handle this?.?

It is? a small screw driven ship with a single aft hold that was carrying? a large no. of chocolate sized gold bars.
These were intended to be used as a bribe to the Mexican gov't to create? a series of incidents along the US? border in order to keep the US occupied and out of Europe in "WW-1".? courtesy of the German gov't.

Actual salvage would not be difficut since it is? in only 40 ft of water.

Obviously the finer details will not be posted here.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[I'm very interested lets chat more.

A) IGGY, I must apologize. I shouldn't have posted that, it was a spur of the moment thing. As I mentioned, one MUST have a valid recovery permit before one can even go near the ship. Then there remains the matter of gathering equipment, the team, etc, transporting all to the area and on, not a project to be considered for a two week diving fun trip. Perhaps months would be involved, "after" getting the diving recovery permit.

For just general fun diving, there are two unknown ships on the North East end of the northern most islands parallelling the coast from Los Mochis, Sinaloa.

Also in the "SAL SI PUEDES" area north of Tiburon Island in shallow water, on the main land, there are the remains of a merchant ship. It went aground in the 1800's and the Seri Indians had a glorifeid smorgesborg while the survivors lasted. This probably would be in area of Punto Sargento.

There are a no. of wrecks reported on Tiburon Island itself, a search of the Mexican archives should give the necessary information. Tremendous tidal currents in this area which were the cause of most of the sailing vessel wrecks..
Course you can also look for black pearls for which the area was famous in the 1800's A la Steinbecks "the pearl".

Will try to think of other things for you.

p.s. Go to the Port Capitan in La Paz and ask for the records of known sunken ships in the area. Also the fishing Union, particularly the shrimp fishermen. They have to know of all obstructions on the bottom to guard their expensve nets which sweep the bottom. They can lift them over any known wrecks with the paravanes. Probably will have permanent records from depth fnders.

Have fun and a trip of the lifetime Iggy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread