Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dman's Circa 1840 lock , O'Bryan Bros button, & 50 cal. WW2 Cartridge Today

It was frosty and 20 degrees this morning when (Dman) Doug & I returned to hunt an old Tennessee home site without a trace of it ever being there. We had hunted it once before but no coins or buttons. The jury is still out as to how old the site really is. Doug recovered the oldest relic we have found there to date-circa 1840 lock. He found the back in one spot and the front about 50 ft. away about 30 minutes later. No luck on finding the brass keyhole cover but we tried. I finally dug a button from the site but it was only an O’Bryan Bros overall button. We dug an assortment of iron relics as usual & Doug recovered a round silver plated broach. My oddest find was a WW2 U.S. Army Maneuvers .50 cal. machine gun brass cartridge on the left. We dig lots of 30.06 brass blank fired cartridges but I don’t recall ever digging a .50 cal. Now that Doug is retired and a man of leisure, expect more hunts from us this winter. HH, from Doug & Q.

UPDATE: The 50 cal. cartridge was from WW2 maneuvers. It has a 1943 date code on it.

Attachments

• DSCN1807.JPG
    DSCN1807.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Upvote 18

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice one fellas after seeing all the cool iron relics you guys dig makes me want to dig those iron hits more..
~Blaze~

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding relics seems like a really good way to spend a day. I'm not as much into that but it's because walking the broken ground isn't something I do as easily nowadays. Still, I do have some fields available to me, maybe if it don't freeze too soon and I'm feeling frisky, I might just try it again. :)

Nice!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice iron! I particularly like the lock; hopefully you'll find the keyhole cover in a future trip. CONGRATS Dman on your retirement! Now you have lots of time to bug Quindy! :laughing7:

Way to go :)
Breezie

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Good for you and DMan. I went with Wayne today looking for a camp and we didn't have much luck. Went to 2 more places and nobody home. Went to yet another and the landowner doesn't want anybody on the property anymore. I had found some cavalry bullets there years ago and a guy I was with found a sword belt plate there, but not no more! Wasted day as far as relics but it was good to get out and at least look for them.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1266 NICE HEART SHAPE LOCK....

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great assortment of finds.

Where's the video Q? I need my Laurel and Hardy fix!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with Joey...it's just weird not watching one of your videos. Is Dman camera shy now? Nice old lock.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I pondered whether our meager finds even justified a post Joey-LOL. I keep videos loaded up for decent hunts so stay tuned Bud. With Doug now retired, they will be funnier. HH, Q.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What? No Burt and Brad video? I would imagine Burt would be turning cartwheels and jumping over cows now that he's free from the shop. That would have been entertaining. haha! Congrats on your retirement!
And congrats on the finds. Any day hunting is better than not. ;)
Nana :hello:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Thanks everyone on wishing me well on my retirement. I am sure I will stay busy.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool lock, and congrats to Dman on his retirement! Just keep him away from those golf courses and keep the electronic "club" in his hand instead!

LOL

-Buck

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For Real BB.

Q..
Is that a Small Arrow Head next to the Broach?

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For Real BB.

Q..
Is that a Small Arrow Head next to the Broach?
D, I first thought it was a small shard of pottery until I dug the rest of the Mason jar lid-LOL. Doug said they come in a variety of colors. There were several lids in that site & they sound really good. Thanks, Q.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of relics! Congrats!
It's a good thing you're there to help Doug adjust to retitement, otherwise he may get a little confused on which leisure past time he's participating in and start swatting the dirt clods with his detector!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool looking lock

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice assortment of relics! Congrats!
It's a good thing you're there to help Doug adjust to retitement, otherwise he may get a little confused on which leisure past time he's participating in and start swatting the dirt clods with his detector!
Thanks MSB & I'm hoping that he can still tell the difference between hitting a golf ball and digging a relic-LOL. We should have a video of "Mr. Retirement" in action late next week. HH, Q.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread