Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dman's Circa 1840 lock , O'Bryan Bros button, & 50 cal. WW2 Cartridge Today

It was frosty and 20 degrees this morning when (Dman) Doug & I returned to hunt an old Tennessee home site without a trace of it ever being there. We had hunted it once before but no coins or buttons. The jury is still out as to how old the site really is. Doug recovered the oldest relic we have found there to date-circa 1840 lock. He found the back in one spot and the front about 50 ft. away about 30 minutes later. No luck on finding the brass keyhole cover but we tried. I finally dug a button from the site but it was only an O’Bryan Bros overall button. We dug an assortment of iron relics as usual & Doug recovered a round silver plated broach. My oddest find was a WW2 U.S. Army Maneuvers .50 cal. machine gun brass cartridge on the left. We dig lots of 30.06 brass blank fired cartridges but I don’t recall ever digging a .50 cal. Now that Doug is retired and a man of leisure, expect more hunts from us this winter. HH, from Doug & Q.

UPDATE: The 50 cal. cartridge was from WW2 maneuvers. It has a 1943 date code on it.

Attachments

• DSCN1807.JPG
    DSCN1807.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe