Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dman's Cool Find from Friday-Updated with CSA Cav. Camp Finds from Today

One of our many “relic informants” called and said that Dman and I might want to check a site where U.S. CW Soldiers were thought to have camped. We were there at first light. Fortunately, it was a cloudy day and the temps were bearable but the humidity was high as usual in middle Tennessee during August. Dman had to leave in two hours or so because it’s tax free weekend in Tennessee for school clothes and supplies so he felt that he should be present in his store today to help out. We started off finding a few round buck ‘n balls and campfire lead. I walked with Dman as he went to his vehicle to leave and we both got a signal with our F75s at the same time. My target was a small piece of campfire lead from the Yankee fires but Dman dug something that both of us have wanted to find intact since we saw some displayed at a friend’s relic store in Murfreesboro.
It’s a .44 cal. Colt pistol bullet encased in dirt as shown in the first pic after Dman shaped it with a digging tool. He coated it with clear polyurethane to stabilize it. It will look cool in his CW displays as it shows visitors in this store what a CW artifact looks like when dug.
I hunted a couple more hours after he left (hoping to find a well preserved bullet in a dirt clod to no avail) and found the relics in the second pic including enough brass brads to make a cartridge box.
Dman’s finds from his short two hour hunt are shown in the third pic. We hope to get back there soon and dig some more relics. It was hot but it felt good to feel the weight of those bullets in the soil in our hands as we ran a handful of dirt over the coil. It made us think of the upcoming fall relic season. Josh had to work today and he about croaked when he found out what he missed-LOL.
Happy hunting from the Tennessee Trio and read my article entitled ”Hunter Courtesy-A Vanishing Virtue?” in the current (Sept.) issue of Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine.

UPDATE-My meager finds from a 6-9 am relic hunt today at a CSA Cavalry camp are shown in the last pic. The soil was dry and hard packed there. The F75 read one .69 cal. musket ball as "70" and the other as "33". All relics were 7-11 inches deep. If the reading was "5" or less, I dug it
I just received word today that the new issue of North South Traders Civil War Magazine with my article "Locate that Civil War Site" published in it will be mailed to subscribers late this week. I hope that information is helpful to you as it sure has been productive for Dman, Josh, and me. HH, Quindy.

My CW Relic Total for 2011=228

Attachments

• Dman\'s Bullet Clod 8-5-11.jpg
    Dman\'s Bullet Clod 8-5-11.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,261
  • Quindy\'s Relics 8-5-2011.jpg
    Quindy\'s Relics 8-5-2011.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,255
  • Dman\'s Relics 8-5-11.jpg
    Dman\'s Relics 8-5-11.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,252
  • CSA Cav. Camp 8-8-2011.jpg
    CSA Cav. Camp 8-8-2011.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 447
Upvote 0

Seabiscuit

Jan 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
F-75, CZ-20, Troy Shadow
Re: Dman Made a Very Cool Find on Our Tennessee CW Relic Hunt Today

That's some nice finds guys. That bullet should look good in the display case. It's been real hot up here also. I only go out early in the morning now days. Fall will be here soon.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Great idea! That will make a nice display piece! Nice saves you guys! :thumbsup:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Love the 'Lead in dirt' :wink:
I find a lot of those 'brads' :icon_scratch:
Figured they were from harness...
sounds like a fun hunt, great pix! Best to you & HH :thumbsup:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Seabiscuit said:
That's some nice finds guys. That bullet should look good in the display case. It's been real hot up here also. I only go out early in the morning now days. Fall will be here soon.
Thanks Floyd and I hope we all have an early Fall too. HH, Quindy.
Woodland Detectors said:
Very nice finds...Great to see the Tn. team digging again
We are still here Mike and ready to go Bud. I hope you are still continuing to feel stronger. HH, Quindy.
dallgire said:
Thanks for looking DG.
creskol said:
Great idea! That will make a nice display piece! Nice saves you guys! :thumbsup:
That it will Rob. I had some cannonball stands made last year and will give him one to display it on. HH, Quindy.
steelheadwill said:
Love the 'Lead in dirt' :wink:
I find a lot of those 'brads' :icon_scratch:
Figured they were from harness...
sounds like a fun hunt, great pix! Best to you & HH :thumbsup:
Herbie, many of the larger ones are from harness but the small ones are not wide enough to rivet two thick pieces of leather together. A cavalry camp will have all sizes with the larger one piece brass rivets being from sword belt rigs (so I've been told). Good hunting, Quindy.

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008

that is some nice relics.glad for you both.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is cool!!!My buddy Ironman,dug one last year,only one I have witnessed dug.Tell D,congrats!!!! :thumbsup:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Pretty cool Idea and Congrats on some nice CW finds, :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

rebelrouser said:
that is some nice relics.glad for you both.
Thanks Don. Dman should have that 'Bullet Clod' on display the next time you come to visit his store. Quindy.
allen said:
that will be so cool in a display case !!!
I think it would display well inside a small bell jar Allen. HH, Quindy.
kuger said:
That is cool!!!My buddy Ironman,dug one last year,only one I have witnessed dug.Tell D,congrats!!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks Cody and he will be online tonight. Thanks and HH to you in CA my friend, Quindy.
TommNJ said:
Pretty cool Idea and Congrats on some nice CW finds, :icon_thumright:

TommNJ
Thanks TJ and we appreciate the fact that you took time to read and reply. Good huntin' to you, Quindy.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow Quindy! You guys done good there.Very cool recoveries there.

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great hunt...and congarts to Dman on that insitu colt...looks really cool like that! Stay cool guys!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go on the CW relics guys.

Dman,
That bullet in dirt is way cool. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Q-
Congrats on the article. Looking forward to reading it. (Yes, I can read) :laughing7: :tongue3:

-Dug-

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neat-O! I'm gonna have to visit Burt's store to see his famous display case. :icon_pirat: Super finds....all of 'em! 8)

Nana :wink:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Getty said:
Wow Quindy! You guys done good there.Very cool recoveries there.
Roger, I wish Dman could have hunted longer but he needed to make some money so he could buy my lunch tomorrow-LOL. Thanks, Quindy.
sekypaleo said:
Great hunt...and congarts to Dman on that insitu colt...looks really cool like that! Stay cool guys!
We are trying to stay cool Bill but these opportunities to hunt come up and we just have to go. HH my friend' Quindy.
ModernMiner said:

Dman,

Q-
Congrats on the article. Looking forward to reading it. (Yes, I can read) :laughing7: :tongue3:

-Dug-
I am surprised you can read MM. I thought you logged on for the pics-LOL. Take care, Q.
rtde3 said:
I like that idea of sealing it in the dirt! It will make a cool display. Nice batch of finds also Guys! :thumbsup:
Not every bullet clod will hold together to do that Rob. He got lucky. Watch out for those underwater rocks and HH, Q.
Nana40 said:
Neat-O! I'm gonna have to visit Burt's store to see his famous display case. :icon_pirat: Super finds....all of 'em! 8)

Nana :wink:
Pretty soon, he won't have room for his stock if he keeps on finding relics Nana. You and Charlie are welcome to visit here again anytime and hopefully we can take you hunting next time. HH, Quindy.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner said:

Dman,

Q-

-Dug-
I am surprised you can read MM. I thought you logged on for the pics-LOL. Take care, Q.
[/quote]

My Sally Struther's TV guide Learn to Read course paid off I guess. :tongue3: :laughing9:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

That was a lot of fun. I am looking forward to this fall.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice finds Quindy. Everytime I read you posts I get eager to hit the woods of one of our camps but then again I don't think I would like the poison ivy, ticks, spiders and heat exhaustion, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread