Do I need a permit to use a highbanker in california?

Aug 20, 2013
I'm looking into buying a highbanker this year, but first I wanted to know if I need to get any type of permit first. Because I don't want to go out there and get a huge fine for it. The thing that I've been told is as long as the water that is being discharged doesn't go back in the river, stream or lake that it don't matter. But I really would like to get some info from some of you guy's who have experience in this.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Be careful what you ask for. There are several threads in this forum that will provide you with different answers. I have done my own extensive and exhausting research and don't have any conclusive information. I personally am not going to worry about permits. I plan to set my highbanker up in the middle of the creek and shovel straight into it (wet to wet) and discharge directly back into the creek. My other option will be to set my highbanker up on a bench within the high water line of the creek and shovel bench material into the highbanker and discharge into one or two settling holes. I'm sure others will have their opinions.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhh God Here we go again:laughing7:

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Depends who you want to appease and why. Depends to what degree you want to "fight" for your right. Depends what the status is of the land you are on. Depends on your knowledge of all the rules/regs/laws/policies are and how they are applicable or not.

So the "hear we go again" answer is: DEPENDS.

Now if you go asking all the different agencies their opinion(s) you will get all kinds of possible answers.

One thing is for sure. Better to avoid "undue and unnecessary degradation" of the public land on the spot you are mining. But the Secretary changed this phrase to the single word: "significant".
Best to avoid killing or harming "threatened or endangered" species. Best to avoid polluting the waters. Best to avoid seems to be most applicable and so I would always use it wisely!

Yep..."here we go again" fits the answer to a "T".

Welcome to the new era of Gold Mining.

Bejay

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Wet to wet, dry to dry. I always contain my motor and pump in a plasic panning tub in case of catastrphic engine failure. Have had numerous FG come and ask how we were doing, but there are no current regs to prohibit it. Use good judgement, and keep your site clean and you will have no problems

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Bejay is right its best to avoid asking any "agency" for sure.......except if you send them off looking for this PERMIT they may never make it back so maybe that is a good idea:laughing7:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Biggest thing is-keep muddy water out of the water with a holding pond. Stupid arse water quality idjets want you to spend over $1,200 on INDUSTRIAL permits. The CDFG(now FW) can bust ya for riparian habitat destruction as they rule the roost 100 yards from the wetted perimeter. Soooo yaaa lotza luck as each ranger does pretty much what/how they want to do. Lean,mean,quiet and cautious rules the day-John

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good Idea on the pump tub Oak, those $6 masonry tubs work great, I have a stack of 3-4 that always come with us on trips. Handy around camp as well. You can also cut a plastic 55 gal. drum in half and use it for a settling 'pond' off the end. Add wheels and a handle, use it as a hand truck for hauling highbanker and pump.

:happy1::happy1::happy1::happy1:

Chlsbrns where are you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
silverstateprospector
Aug 20, 2013
So pretty much as long as I'm not somewhere I shouldn't be, maintain the area where I'll be working clean and filling up the holes when I'm done I should be fine.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hahahaha..... my highbanker works just fine without a permit...:occasion14:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? hear no evil :dontknow: see no evil :icon_scratch: speak no evil :laughing7: quiet,clean,lean and mean and good to go as the debates(and court cases) rage on-John

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol i'm surprised you all down there don't need a permit to step out side of your vehicle on state land. Sadly that's probably not far off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread