What's new

Do Nicely Rainbow Toned Halves Carry a Premium Over Melt???

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
1,148
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

My first box of the week contained [4] '64s, two of which are very nicely rainbow toned with deep blue and purple hues - are these worth any more than melt?

Thanks for your input! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:
 
Upvote 0
only if you find someone that likes toned coins * - as with all things -- what one person likes another doesn't - hard to get folks to pay over melt price on silver coinage. -- nature of trhe beast you know--everyone wants a "bargin" and to get over on the other fella
 
For those who like toned coins, there is a difference between naturally toned and artificially. The colors you describe almost sound too much, as if artificially toned.

I have never tried this, but one way to tone your silver coins real fast is to boil an egg or two. Right after they are fully cooked put them in a big zip lock type bag and smash them. Then place some silver coins in there (next to the eggs but not touching them) and seal the bag.

The sulfur in the eggs will tone the coins in just hours or so from what I have read.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
For those who like toned coins, there is a difference between naturally toned and artificially. The colors you describe almost sound too much, as if artificially toned.

I have never tried this, but one way to tone your silver coins real fast is to boil an egg or two. Right after they are fully cooked put them in a big zip lock type bag and smash them. Then place some silver coins in there (next to the eggs but not touching them) and seal the bag.

The sulfur in the eggs will tone the coins in just hours or so from what I have read.

Jim

Oh wow..I never knew that...Ive found a couple toned coins mainly a blue'ish color
 
Jim4silver is right. There are ALWAYS artificially toned Kens and Walkers on Ebay, every day. And there is always a bid up over melt.
 
Of course Rainbow toned coins carry a premium but only if they are uncirculated, naturally toned, and certified by PCGS, NGC, or ANACS. It depends on the colors and the look of the coin. People will bid high on one like it's an art piece. If you go to the PCGS coin forum, a significant amount of topics are related to toned coins. If you look at Feebay, uncirculated ones certified in slabs sell for moon money. I have dealt with this issue for years or almost a decade. I have tried over and over to tone coins faster for a natural toned look. It's extremely hard to do. I've done all the stuff, heating them, putting them with boiled eggs, and bought books on toning metals. To this day, I realize it is something you cannot do over night for the natural look. It is easy for someone with a trained eye to spot an artificially toned coin. Getting them certified is the hardest part. You may pay money for grading fees and it not get graded because they deemed it to have artificial toning. PCGS also has a new thing called the sniffer that they can do a chemical analysis and see if any chemicals were applied to the coin.

I have to admit, I sold a couple modern kennedy halves that I heated for a blue look to people through Feebay years ago. It was not a significant premium but I made a couple bucks on it. I did not feel good about selling them that I stopped doing it since it was artificial toning. I just said the coins were toned blue and people wanted them. It suprised me. People on the PCGS forum are always pointing out the new artificial toner coin doctor on Feebay. I didn't want to be one of them.

Now I just have a couple silver uncirculated coins sitting in old holders like Wayte Raymond and they're toning away the natural way. However, they've been sitting there for years and the color progression has been very slow. Another issue is that not all coins tone or if they do, the toning might be ugly, spotty, and unattractive. That's why nicely natural toned ones have such a premium. You really appreciate the beauty of natural rainbow toning if you've had them for so long and they've toned naturally.
 
I just picked up an 1878 Morgan Dollar today. I actually bought it because it had a nice blue toning. Now I cant help but wonder if it is artificial or natural toning.
 
jerseyben said:
I just picked up an 1878 Morgan Dollar today. I actually bought it because it had a nice blue toning. Now I cant help but wonder if it is artificial or natural toning.

Post it.. I can tell right away if it's artificially toned, naturally toned, or market acceptable. They do that all the time on the PCGS forum. People always post an "AT or NT" thread on the forum.
 
SFBayArea said:
jerseyben said:
I just picked up an 1878 Morgan Dollar today. I actually bought it because it had a nice blue toning. Now I cant help but wonder if it is artificial or natural toning.

Post it.. I can tell right away if it's artificially toned, naturally toned, or market acceptable. They do that all the time on the PCGS forum. People always post an "AT or NT" thread on the forum.

VAMed it last night as a 131B:

http://www.vamworld.com/file/detail/jerseyben1878pob.jpg
http://www.vamworld.com/file/detail/jerseyben1878prev.jpg
 
jerseyben said:
SFBayArea said:
jerseyben said:
I just picked up an 1878 Morgan Dollar today. I actually bought it because it had a nice blue toning. Now I cant help but wonder if it is artificial or natural toning.

Post it.. I can tell right away if it's artificially toned, naturally toned, or market acceptable. They do that all the time on the PCGS forum. People always post an "AT or NT" thread on the forum.

VAMed it last night as a 131B:

http://www.vamworld.com/file/detail/jerseyben1878pob.jpg
http://www.vamworld.com/file/detail/jerseyben1878prev.jpg


I am no expert on this, but it does not look artificially toned based on the picture. Perhaps SF Bay can give a better evaluation than me though.

Jim
 
jerseyben said:
SFBayArea said:
jerseyben said:
I just picked up an 1878 Morgan Dollar today. I actually bought it because it had a nice blue toning. Now I cant help but wonder if it is artificial or natural toning.

Post it.. I can tell right away if it's artificially toned, naturally toned, or market acceptable. They do that all the time on the PCGS forum. People always post an "AT or NT" thread on the forum.

VAMed it last night as a 131B:

http://www.vamworld.com/file/detail/jerseyben1878pob.jpg
http://www.vamworld.com/file/detail/jerseyben1878prev.jpg

That's fine.. no artificial toning there. However, there's no premium because it's a circulated coin nor is the toning attractive. The rainbow toned coins I'm talking about with significant premium have bright colors , yellow, purple, blues, greens together. Go to PCGS forums and read some of the threads on rainbow toned coins and you'll see what I'm talking about.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom