Do they allow metal detectors on airplanes?

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
I have taken mine several times. I always break it down and carry it on. Too expensive for me to let them abuse it or for it to disappear. I use a hard case, but know alot of the members here use their soft carrying cases. No steel digging tools, they will take them. You can put it in your other suitcase that gets stowed in the plane.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your detector uses regular batteries, the airline folks may take them. If your machine takes its own special battery pack, such as some of the White's , don't mention it. ;D and good luck.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
never have a problem with the batteries. I leave them in. You will have to pack the shaft into your checked luggage though. I only carry the coil and the mechanical box.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WARNING! If, you plan to take your detector on the plane always ask for the fragile sticker to put on the case. I use a snow board hard case I found used at a used equipment ski shop in Frisko, Colorado for around 50 bucks. I just pack the inside with foam to take up the gaps. Even though the airlines put the fragile sticker on, they will still abuse it! Be careful!....mike

Singha

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 800, Sand Shark
I just got into md and have found no problem. I have taken mine through USA, Korea, Japan, England, Germany,Thailand, Vietnam checkpoints and looking forward to Cambodia. Just go slow and smile - if you have a gold ring on point to it and they get the message - every country seems to understand GOLD!

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
I've had pretty much the same experience as everyone above.

My personal experience has been to carry the coil, headphones and control box on board the aircraft in a back pack (never had an issue with the batteries either). I put the shaft in my checked baggage with my scoop.

Seems these days the TSA is more concerned about how many ounces of liquids you are carrying past the check point.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff went to the GNRS hunt that last 2 years and took his on with him 1st time with out batteries 2nd with just out of machine. No digger he rented one when he got there. Yes they looked at them but, he was right there and so all was ok no problem. Broke down into a bakpak. took extra coils in it too. Flew from Ks to Savannah.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have traveled around, if it fits in the overhead, seems to be ok...no problems yet...I use the standard Whites hard case...I have also packed a military shovel, knife and digging equipment in the suitcase...and declared them.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The person who stated this thread ... it was his one an only post back in 08. But it is still very good info to let people know about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread