What's new

Do you look for the No-FG varieties?

seattleMD

Full Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2007
Messages
102
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Do ya'll look for the No-FG half varieties? I've seen them listed in books for $3 - $5 in the XF / AU varieties. I've also seen them listed on eBay for $20 - $30 for that same grade. Curious on others thoughts.
 
Upvote 0
I did once and found some and stopped looking. But once in awhile I will look at a few coins for it.

HH
Cat
 
Yep I do. I've found a 82 and a 90 no FG. I also search for a 74D DDO. It only takes a few more minutes a box to look for these errors.
 
For those that said they did and then stopped, I'm curious as to why...
 
Yes I look for them. I didn't really understand which ones to keep until I found two that were obviously NO FG coins. I would find a bunch that could just barely be made out. Some I even used a magnifing glass to see but when I found those two it was more obvious that they were not just wore off but were never there.
 
Would you guys consider any of these No-FGs? According to a book I purchased, the ones where the G is showing and the F is not are supposedly considered No-FGs as well.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=15550

If they aren't No-FGs, how could the letters wear down that much when the surrounding metal is so much higher?
 
The no F or the no G are "no FG" varieties. They are just lumped together. Just my 50 cents worth.
 
seattleMD said:
For those that said they did and then stopped, I'm curious as to why...

I don't think they are that uncommon. More importantly, there isn't much of a market for them.
If they sell on ebay, there is not much of a premium paid except for high grade certified examples.
 
TonyT said:
The no F or the no G are "no FG" varieties. They are just lumped together. Just my 50 cents worth.

As I understand it, unless the FG is completely missing the coin is not a "no FG" variety. I always throw back anything in which I can see the FG at all since they are common. I have seen many that were close and many with only 1 letter faintly visible, but only a couple in which both letters were truly missing.
 
Seattle, i wouldn't consider a half with any trace of the initials to be a no FG. Here is a example of one found recently.The field where the FG should be should look like the field of the rest of the coin.
[/quote]

I guess my assumption would be the same, but in a book I read recently, they stated that for some of the dates, simply missing the F in FG was enough to consider it an error variety (and not just an overly polished die). I guess in the end it's all about market demand for a given variety.
 
besides 82p's and 90'?s what other year/mintmark halfs hve no FG

mojo
 
I have found two of them in the last two months of searching halves.
72d, 80d

Semper Fi
 
The "No FG" variety occured when the die broke and was repaired in the welding and buffing the FG was totallu removed from the die. if any part of the FG is visible it is not a "No FG" variety.

As stated above the field will look as normal as the other clear fields look.

Thom
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom