What's new

Do you smoke meat

mlayers

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
5,579
Reaction score
429
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a gas smoker ande I have been smoking a lot of fresh trout.I am thinking about trying to smoke so venision. So I was wondering if anyone has done this. If you have can you tell me how to do it. Do you soak it is salt brine also how thick should it be. What temp do you smoke it at and for how long. Any informatioin will beappricated.......Matt
 
Are you talking about preserving or just cooking for immediate consumption ?
Jim
 
Venison, huh, sounds like you want to make a jerky.. I can't do that, I'm silly enough :laughing7:
 
truckinbutch said:
Are you talking about preserving or just cooking for immediate consumption ?
Jim

What he said.

We need details :wink:
 
Hmmm I LOVE trout but have never had it smoked sounds like it could be tasty
 
I want to smoke it for longer refridger time. I make jerky with my dehydrator and I heard about smoke venision so I was wondering about trying some.......Matt
 
Only when I run outta catnip! :laughing7:

No, seriously, we soak our deer in vinegar/worschester solution, maybe a little mojo in there.
But we smoken on a wood smoker, not gas.
We throw a chunk of meat on there, smoke a little, then wrap in tinfoil, for the rest of the time.
4-6 hours depending, it's more of an intuitive thing, as to meat size, heat, etc.........
Think of if ya was doing a brisquit.

Try it, can't mess up too bad, unless you burn it up completely. You can always chop or grind it up for stew? Sorry, if that was no real help to ya, good luck.

textee, I might want some of that smoke shark, I let ya know if I'm coming to Miami Oklahoma way over the next month or two! hehehehehe :laughing7:
 
Smoke trout tastes alot like smoke salmon.I love it with crackers. It is a great snack while watching TV......Matt
 
I "REALLY MISS" the smoke houses up in the U.P. (Michigan). I'm very surprised there isn't any smoke houses up and down the Intercoastal here in Florida, not sure why but I've been thinking about smoking some of the fish down here as I'm sure it would be..."to die for!"

Nothing like smoked salmon or trout on a Ritz! :thumbsup:

I'm betting if you search the internet, maybe youtube, you'll find out how to smoke that venison. :thumbsup:
 
bigscoop said:
I "REALLY MISS" the smoke houses up in the U.P. (Michigan). I'm very surprised there isn't any smoke houses up and down the Intercoastal here in Florida, not sure why but I've been thinking about smoking some of the fish down here as I'm sure it would be..."to die for!"
Nothing like smoked salmon or trout on a Ritz! :thumbsup:
I'm betting if you search the internet, maybe youtube, you'll find out how to smoke that venison. :thumbsup:
Hey bigscoop, there's a place on St Rd 84, east of 95, south side of the street, they do smoke fish, they across from Riverland Shop plaza, is it, next to, or across the street from that resturant,(German? somethen)
I never went in there, but, I always figured thats where Gus(at Andys),always got them nasty little fish in a tube things from.
Just a thought, for a smoken source, or poss info source, down here.
 
pat-tekker-cat said:
bigscoop said:
I "REALLY MISS" the smoke houses up in the U.P. (Michigan). I'm very surprised there isn't any smoke houses up and down the Intercoastal here in Florida, not sure why but I've been thinking about smoking some of the fish down here as I'm sure it would be..."to die for!"
Nothing like smoked salmon or trout on a Ritz! :thumbsup:
I'm betting if you search the internet, maybe youtube, you'll find out how to smoke that venison. :thumbsup:
Hey bigscoop, there's a place on St Rd 84, east of 95, south side of the street, they do smoke fish, they across from Riverland Shop plaza, is it, next to, or across the street from that resturant,(German? somethen)
I never went in there, but, I always figured thats where Gus(at Andys),always got them nasty little fish in a tube things from.
Just a thought, for a smoken source, or poss info source, down here.

I'll do some recon the next time in that area. Thanks!
 
I've preserved quite a lot of venison shoulders and hams just like pork . Morton Sugar Cure , either rub or made into brine . Once cured I cold smoked to finish . Kept as well as cured ham . Tasted more
like dried beef .
Be glad to share details if anyone is interested .
Jim
 
I have smoked a lot of meat at my house, but usually pork ribs or brisket when I expect a lot of company for the holidays. I did smoke one venison roast but it dodn't turn out too well. I followed a recipe and injected it with some brine and garlic., but I did something wrong because it was pretty tough. I use a barrel type smoker with charcoal and hickory chips. The pork is wonderful and will nearly fall off the bone. I have a gas grill but I only use it for burgers and an occasional chicken or two. It just doesn't impart that really nice smokey flavor I prefer. The smell of a hickory smoking fire is almost as good as the food it produces. I usually keep the fire low and let it smoke for several hours. Monty
 
truckinbutch said:
I've preserved quite a lot of venison shoulders and hams just like pork . Morton Sugar Cure , either rub or made into brine . Once cured I cold smoked to finish . Kept as well as cured ham . Tasted more
like dried beef .
Be glad to share details if anyone is interested .
Jim

Please post the method. I have and still smoke a lot of meat but have never found the secret of the sugar cure and cold smoke method. It would really save me some money so I could stop ordering
my hanging hams from Missouri every year.
 
truckinbutch said:
I've preserved quite a lot of venison shoulders and hams just like pork . Morton Sugar Cure , either rub or made into brine . Once cured I cold smoked to finish . Kept as well as cured ham . Tasted more
like dried beef .
Be glad to share details if anyone is interested .
Jim

Yes, I'd like to learn how to do this. Post away.
 
Kentucky Kache said:
truckinbutch said:
I've preserved quite a lot of venison shoulders and hams just like pork . Morton Sugar Cure , either rub or made into brine . Once cured I cold smoked to finish . Kept as well as cured ham . Tasted more
like dried beef .
Be glad to share details if anyone is interested .
Jim

Yes, I'd like to learn how to do this. Post away.
Pretty academic , actually , to start . You need a cold room that will stay under 38 degrees during
the dry cure period . Follow Morton's instructions for cure application and proportions as well as cure times . That will get you started on the cure part .
Cold smoking is the finish of cured meats . I build an 'outhouse' of 5 sheets of plywood as a temporary
critterproof enclosure . Adjustable smoke vent at the top of the structure , 10' of rain downspout to connect a smoke source downhill from the 'meathouse'. Metal bucket or 35 gallon grease drum laid on it's side will suffice to hold the slow smoking fire . A small smouldering fire in the morning that burns out on it's own . the same in the evening . How many days is a matter of taste for each individual to determine .
All meat should be hung on racks in the smokehouse without touching to insure even circulation .
That's a start . Ask away and I'll try to fill in the gaps .
Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom