Do you think it is okay to revive old threads?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I wanted to know if you veterans of this forum think it would be all right to go to the archives of the forum to identify some unidentified things from several years back? I think that if someone can identify something it is still good, even after so many years. I would rather have my coin identified after 5 yrs. than never identified. I may do this, if you guys accept it, during summer break. Then I can have a lot of time. I believe that it is alright to revive 5yr. old posts only in the "What is It" section because it could be useful to the person.

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I think if it is interesting, yes. However, there are certain threads that have lingered on the boards for weeks and weeks and have been beaten to death. I hate it when these come back. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally, I think if it is interesting, yes. However, there are certain threads that have lingered on the boards for weeks and weeks and have been beaten to death. I hate it when these come back. Just my opinion.

I would agree. I would not be reviving those threads. I would just revive ones that have things not identified that I am sure I know what they are. I won't also be reviving ones that I could add just a small suggestion (it is lead, 1800s, etc.) to not clutter up pages upon pages of this board.

Upvote 0

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been HERE that long,but at other sites I have seen it a lot.
I don't think there is anything wrong with "necrobumping" old threads..IF there is something important to add.

But to add a "cool find" to a 6 year old thread or answering a question that was obviously answered 4 years ago is a little much.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't been HERE that long,but at other sites I have seen it a lot.
I don't think there is anything wrong with "necrobumping" old threads..IF there is something important to add.

But to add a "cool find" to a 6 year old thread or answering a question that was obviously answered 4 years ago is a little much.

I agree also. Some people may no longer read the forum that posted 6 years ago, but others may be wondering about the same thing.

Upvote 0

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any problem with it whatsoever. What is it hurting, really? Some people don't like it but what's to get mad about? Just don't click on the thread. I think if someone finds the thread for the first time or has something interesting to add then do it without shame. The only time people should get angry with it is if someone just posts "bump" to revive it.

Some people put a lot of time into their threads with the stories and photos and they deserve to be revived if someone wishes to do so.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was lurking for a long time already when that post happened. I really can't say more than what I already have read and seen posting. Nice Shilling (Skilling)!
I gotcha I think it's possible to solve it just needs the right pair of eyes to come along & get interrested in it.But it's buried up now & may never know i still look from time to time myself.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wanted to know if you veterans of this forum think it would be all right to go to the archives of the forum to identify some unidentified things from several years back? I think that if someone can identify something it is still good, even after so many years. I would rather have my coin identified after 5 yrs. than never identified. I may do this, if you guys accept it, during summer break. Then I can have a lot of time. I believe that it is alright to revive 5yr. old posts only in the "What is It" section because it could be useful to the person.

Without a doubt its absolutely positively OK and allright to solve, or try to solve, an old unsolved thread. I usually send the OP a PM telling them its solved or new information has surfaced and they are always thrilled to death and grateful. Dont forget to remind them to post the Green Check if solved. Thanks for the help. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yea I know what you mean. We need to solve it and move on.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It might be a good idea for the Admins to create a new topic called UNSOLVED where we can relive these mystery finds. I agree we don't need to post those pieces that have been beat to death, and/or where the original poster will not agree to what the majority thinks([post proof) of what it is.

I made a post about 2 weeks ago on a Maltese Cross piece, and only got 1 comment, which was more or less a complimentary comment instead of an ID. Whutcha think about a new topic called UNSOLVED? :) Breezie

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It might be a good idea for the Admins to create a new topic called UNSOLVED where we can relive these mystery finds. I agree we don't need to post those pieces that have been beat to death, and/or where the original poster will not agree to what the majority thinks([post proof) of what it is.

I made a post about 2 weeks ago on a Maltese Cross piece, and only got 1 comment, which was more or less a complimentary comment instead of an ID. Whutcha think about a new topic called UNSOLVED? :) Breezie
I think if all the solved were properly checked we could see whats unsolved. I would suggest to bump it up if it only has one comment.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's very rare a coin/ token remains unsolved, most of the unsolved finds, are the ones that are not that interesting.

SS

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I would also agree to an "unsolved" board within this board.

There are some very interesting unsolved threads and there are many uninteresting clumps of rust. Sounds good but who decides which threads are interesting?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread