What's new

Do you think this is a graver?

EricTheCat

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2011
Messages
494
Reaction score
546
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, here I go again.... :)

I only recently learned what a graver is when I found the one posted in my "New place to hunt" thread recently. It reminded me so much of a rock that I put in my "probably not" pile that I dug it out for a closer look. So here is this rock from my probably not pile. I found it in my yard last summer. It was curious enough to keep but having one natural side I figured it was probably incidentally broken that way. My "new eyes" think it is in fact worked. What do you think?

YardStone-MaybeGraver-Img_6843SSS.webp

YardStone-MaybeGraver-Img_6844SSS.webp

YardStone-MaybeGraver-Img_6845CSSS.webp

YardStone-MaybeGraver-Img_6845SSS.webp

YardStone-MaybeGraver-Img_6861CSSS.webp

Thank you for looking at yet another one of my "what is it" threads!
Happy hunting,
Eric
 
Upvote 0
It looks like a flake to me. Engravers will have a sharp tip on them that will show flaking on it where it was sharpened to the tip.

Here are some examples for you to look at. The last two were hafted types and the other were likely hand held.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0005.webp
    DSC_0005.webp
    24 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_0004.webp
    DSC_0004.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0003.webp
    DSC_0003.webp
    24.8 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_0002.webp
    DSC_0002.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_0001.webp
    DSC_0001.webp
    48 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_0006.webp
    DSC_0006.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_0007.webp
    DSC_0007.webp
    27.4 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0008.webp
    DSC_0008.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Pics-346.webp
    Pics-346.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 84
Not a lot of people actually save them. Im one of the few that do. Some of my better ones.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2237.webp
    100_2237.webp
    87.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 100_2552.webp
    100_2552.webp
    190.5 KB · Views: 89
Thanks guys, especially for taking the time to show some nice examples.

By the way, I would have kept those. :)
 
I learn something new every day, i didn't know about these at all, cool
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom