Do you trust your neighbor to own a sword?

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking more about "swords". The things the OP began with before the thread looping in and out and getting close to pollytickin but not quite.

Indiana is a concealed carry state with 5 year permits or something like that to generate user fees. Shoulda been at least one person with a weapon on their belt or in their boot but maybe FedEx doesn't allow the carrying of weapons in the workplace. They sure as hell don't permit the use of medical marijuana off premises for their employees and I sometimes wonder which is worse.

Remember, everyone is a fine, upstanding member of society........until they aren't.

I think you hit the head on the nail. Insure gun owners...if you want an m-4, go for it, if you want a .22 lr, feel free of buy as many as you want, hell, take it up to rpgs but you have to buy liability insurance just in case that weapon decides to accidentally discharge or some fine upstanding citizen decides to saddle someone with medical bills due to not being so fine and upstanding anymore.

Parents are legally responsible for their children’s actions. I think parents should be required to carry liability insurance to cover potential damages that the children could cause when not directly supervised by the parents. Stuff such as broken windows, graffiti, basically general property damage...other people or the public at large shouldn’t have to foot the bill for juvenile delinquency.

In fact, I think all women of legal age should have to carry liability insurance in case they become pregnant and their child causes property damage at some point. Of course that is a silly idea and I’m not serious about either.

By the way, I’m reading someone did retrieve a weapon from their vehicle in an attempt to stop the FedEx shooter. He was killed in battle. Very sad.

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I'm not sure who wrote them but they go something like this. "Handguns are made for killing, ain't no good for nothing else and if you like to drink your whiskey, you might even shoot yourself".

That would be Ronnie Van Zant of Lynyrd Skynyrd and from the song "38 special" which just happens to be the first song I could play on my drum set back in the 1980's.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not a Jimezez J.A.-22 exactly, Treasure_Hunter. That image is a Jennings J-22. The parts are like 99.9% interchangeable between the two.

Jennings designed the J-22 due to government banning the import of small fixed site semiautomatic pistols such as the Baby Browning and Sterling pistols. Jennings got sued out existence, sold the defunct remains to an employee name Jimenez, who was also recently sued out existence. Some bone head judges decided that since the firearm functioned as designed, it is "unsafe". Poppycock.

.22 long rifle, 2-1/2" barrel, six shot magazine, about 650fps 40 grain pill with maybe 65 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle. It has a cocking indicator, and an extactor instead of just an ejector.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yGmwhXgV_xg

Your correct, sorry, this is picture I thought I was downloading, it was next to the Jennings that I d/l in error.. I own the Jennings myself, It is lightweight and easy to carry a d hide in pocket, but not my normal carry pistol, I carry the Springfield XDS .45 or Judge .45 normally, occasionally Ruger XDS 9mm with laser site, sometimes I carry both a .45 and 9mm.

wm_3974434.jpg

Last edited:

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet........all wood and chrome and you can take it with you when you go squirrel hunting. Sheesh, what's not to like about that??

releventchair. I don't think anyone could throw enough stones to inflict the type of wound a .223 remington can cause. If a military round was used, and the sole purpose of a military round is to cause massive damage in order to take the enemy out, the damage would be a lot greater. You get three spaces on the mass shooting bingo card for bringing up "your gun paranoia"

But here we are, 7 people got up this morning to go to work and earn a living from a job. 8 people will not be returning to their family tonite for dinner, or breakfast tomorrow, or going to their kids graduation, birthday parties, weddings or whatever. Oh well,

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet........all wood and chrome and you can take it with you when you go squirrel hunting. Sheesh, what's not to like about that??

releventchair. I don't think anyone could throw enough stones to inflict the type of wound a .223 remington can cause. If a military round was used, and the sole purpose of a military round is to cause massive damage in order to take the enemy out, the damage would be a lot greater. You get three spaces on the mass shooting bingo card for bringing up "your gun paranoia"

But here we are, 7 people got up this morning to go to work and earn a living from a job. 8 people will not be returning to their family tonite for dinner, or breakfast tomorrow, or going to their kids graduation, birthday parties, weddings or whatever. Oh well,

Military rounds have decreased in size. Geneva code or something.
Many are skinned with hard material or have steel inserts inside.
These cause through and through holes within effective range. Vs dumping energy inside. Or expanding or fragmenting to cause more shock and internal damage. I've tested a few (heavier caliber) both full metal jacket and hollowpoint on earth berms (sorry , I don't run ballistic gelatin tests) and dug them out. And have plenty on reserve. Performance as far as trauma...Poorer with the military rounds .
If you study hunting bullets vs military ones you'll note similar performances.

I use certain bullets for hunting for performance reasons.
Military ammo (much standard anyways) works fine for range work where poking holes in paper is the performance minimum standard.

Yes military rounds can yaw beyond stabilized flight. That ups trauma ,while accuracy suffers. But any bullet just about when the football spiral type barrel rifling effect fades will yaw as well.

A .223 vs my pet deer calibers and rounds.....I'd rather take a hit from a .223.
They are a light bullet and hard construction in military configuration for considering not the best for deer/ thin skinned game , but with proper bullets they can be used. Accuracy is paramount though. Too light for my preference. My goal is not to just poke a hole through a critter. Though a sharp stick through the right area will subdue most anything. Through the wrong area , not so much. Not unlike a non expanding bullet just passing through. History has demonstrated the effectiveness of sticks/staffs. Broken bones including skulls. With more intuitive use surpassing guns. Test the theory with someone not familiar with a gun or staff. Which do they wield intuitively? And how much force can the staff develop even in slight hands?

Military style rounds can work on tough wild hogs for example , as they are not as soft as "normal" hunting rounds.
Shot accuracy will still matter of course. And be ready to avoid a disgruntled hog if t finds you and you only poked a hole in a nonvital area.
They have thier own code...
.223 Vs a four pound rock to the head? Depends on velocity and accuracy.

Last edited:

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday in SanAntonio Tx, a bad guy with a gun decided to shoot up the airport. Immediately, a good guy with a gun killed him. Just now rumors of another similar incident with same result but unconfirmed.

Anyway... the answer to bad guys with guns is good guys with guns.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We keep adding gun laws, but shootings continue and even increase in rate.

Perhaps the answer is to gradually eliminate the existing gun laws?

Or perhaps admit the we have to control people who can't control themselves - not blame inanimate objects.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday in SanAntonio Tx, a bad guy with a gun dec uh ded to shoot up the airport. Immediately, a good guy with a gun killed him. Just now rumors of another similar incident with same result but unconfirmed.

Anyway... the answer to bad guys with guns is good guys with guns.

That’s the model we as a society decided to follow many years ago.
It’s just that some of them are paid.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crashbandicoot:

Why do you think more laws are the only possible solution?

I linked to the Biden Administration's proposals - no new laws mentioned. I stated a national study is required, and funding needs to be made available for that (or, at least, the current silly restrictions on funding such research need to be removed). I guess that's a new "law" is you want to press your case.

Why narrow a search for answers?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
I,ll concede that Biden,s proposal may not be a new law,but adds to existing law,part of that is requiring a check for any gun transfer.If I leave my guns to my children when I die they have to undergo a new background check.How is that going to make anyone safer?Biden flat lied on his assertion that you can buy any gun on the internet,no background check.You can buy a gun online,but it must be shipped to a FFL dealer and you have to have the check before you can take delivery,that,s existing law.The only gun transfers that can legally be done without a check is one private citizen to another.I,ll strongly agree that more,much more needs to be done in the area of mental health,but that,s not a gun problem that,s a mental health problem and you don,t need a study to know that.A study is more likely than not to propose more gun laws be enacted,I,m not in favor of that.Enforce the ones we have,like the oft cited Straw Man purchase that is given for the proliferation of guns in city,s with strict gun laws.If it,s so prevalent why no arrests and convictions for that?Let me try one more time.if a study like you proposed is done what proposals would you like to see come out of it to address the mass murders,suicides,and gang killings that seem to make up the most of our National homicide rate?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Typical of Democrats, bad guys with guns kill good people so lets restrict access to guns for the good guys so they can't protect their selves, if people had been allowed to have firearms at work they could have defended their selves.

When I was working I carried at work, boss knew I carried and did not have an issue with my carrying, in fact he even cleared my carrying with the property manger to carry on property with out being an issue. Under Florida law no gun signs do not carry any weight of law, you can legally walk into any building not forbidden by law with no guns allowed signs as long as you leave if told to do so by property management.

Last edited:

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been studies up the ying-yang with many supposed studies being little more than a thinly disguised excuse for pushing platforms that somehow always involve a reduction in individual freedoms. More of that is not needed.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But here we are, 7 people got up this morning to go to work and earn a living from a job. 8 people will not be returning to their family tonite for dinner, or breakfast tomorrow, or going to their kids graduation, birthday parties, weddings or whatever. Oh well,[/QUOTE]

It's a dang shame a couple of folks there didnt have a gun.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is horrible.

The responsible party violated numerous laws.

That does not excuse further infringements (also violations of our supreme laws) on law-abiding citizen's rights. (I'm not accusing you of supporting such a thing - just pointing out the fact that infringing upon the rights of law-abiding citizens is a violation of our supreme laws)

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crashbandicoot:

Why narrow a search for answers?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Because our supreme law demands a narrowed search for answers when potential "answers" involve the infringement of rights.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“B. Hole” (FedEx murderer) was 19 years old and had a history of mental issues, including depression and thoughts of suicide.

I’m not saying people with those illnesses are bad people, but this kid likely dealt with this condition his entire life.
That’s where we should be focusing our efforts in order to possibly prevent some of these tragic events. Because of medical privacy laws, we will likely never know what cocktail of mind altering drugs he was prescribed in his youth to combat his illness.

B. Hole likely lied on firearm purchase form when it asked if he has had ever been treated for, or currently has, mental health issues. That was probably the first of many laws that were broken.

I would be willing to bet big money that B. Hole had spend months of his life playing murderous video games.
Another sign of the times.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It's a dang shame a couple of folks there didnt have a gun.

90 people in the USA don't come home every day because of vehicle fatalities. Ain't no one getting out of life alive.

Now, about 13 motorcyclists die every day - and there is no need for motorcycles. Should we outlaw them entirely?

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
Typical of Democrats, bad guys with guns kill good people so lets restrict access to guns for the good guys so they can't protect their selves, if people had been allowed to have firearms at work they could have defended their selves.

When I was working I carried at work, boss knew I carried and did not have an issue with my carrying, in fact he even cleared my carrying with the property manger to carry on property with out being an issue. Under Florida law no gun signs do not carry any weight of law, you can legally walk into any building not forbidden by law with no guns allowed signs as long as you leave if told to do so by property management.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread