Do you trust your neighbor to own a sword?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread topic is not health care.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter:

How many more school shootings will it take before the clock strikes "Now?"

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

One school shooting every hundred years is too many....there will always be too many. Picking a subject that tugs on heart strings doesn't change the fact that most gun owners want the minimize the governments role in deciding when, if, what or how we buy firearms. Period.

The good news for people that want gun control is there are cities (and states) that are heavily involved with controlling firearms. I hear it's utopia.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, the topic is NOT health care and this is NOT the politics forum.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never thought much about it as everyone has always carried anyway. Open carry is much more comfortable.I never see anyone get upset. Time and a place for everything I guess. Some people feel they need it all the time for some its a novelty. But is is their right.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened?Did I mess up my post and not hit the right button or unknowingly say something wrong,didn,t think I injected any politics into it,if I did I apologize.Won,t do it again.Sorry and a thousand fleas infest my scrotum!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Johnnybravo300:

One thing about the Dismal Science - it's seldom simple.

"For every complex human problem, there is a solution that is neat, simple and wrong."

~ H.L. Mencken

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"For every complex human problem, there is a solution that is neat, simple and wrong."

I don't disagree with Mackenen. Taking away other people's Liberty has been a sound solution for....

...what?

Poverty? Nope. Drugs? Nope. Economics? Nope. Violence? Nope.

So why don't the people come up with a new trick? Because guns are all we got to keep people's Liberty from them. Guns are government's only tool of enforcement. Therefore a manner of enforcing Liberty is required as a check against infringement of Liberties.

Thomas Sowell said:
Some things are believed because they are demonstrably True, but a great many other things are believed simply because they are asserted repeatedly.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, lets try this one more time.Guns and mental issues,every body wants to keep guns out of the hands of those with mental health problems,background checks do that,right?Wrong Gaylord,during the debate leading up to passage of the current background check system it was proposed that a database of people with known mental health issues be assembled to be checked by the FBI during the background check.If you,re on the list,no gun.Not on the list,good to go.Simple,right?Well,not so much.The leftists,liberals,and mental health providers raised hell,saying if this were to be done people wouldn,t come in for treatment and would be stigmatized unfairly.So there goes your defense against at least some mentally unstable folks buying guns.On another note,how about requiring car buyers to go through the same background check as gun buyers,a car or truck is at least as dangerous as a gun and collectively cause about the same or greater number of deaths as people who misuse guns.Almost every one of these mass shooters used some kind of vehicle to get to their chosen venue.Bookaroo,you still have not told us just what you would do to address the problem as you see it,mass shooters,suicide,gang killings,again I ask,what laws would you like to see enacted,not some general catch all like "common sense"gun laws,what do you consider "common sense"gun laws.One at a time and specific,and no, "see above"isn,t an answer as you,ve not answered the question as I,ve put it to you.How about it?

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, it looks like another guy with a sword just killed 8 more people in Indiana. Ya think they would have been able to out run him.

While I totally agree that your right to own, carry, buy, possess firearms is awesome I'm reminded of some words of wisdom. I'm not sure who wrote them but they go something like this. "Handguns are made for killing, ain't no good for nothing else and if you like to drink your whiskey, you might even shoot yourself".

or

Everyone is a fine, upstanding model of society......................until they aren't.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don,t know davest,I shoot a lot of squirrels with my 22 pistol,bust a lot of tin cans too and it provides a lot of peace of mind in dark places.I,d say like a lot of things it depends on your own outlook.Gently fried and steamed squirrel,with real mashed potatoes,gravy,black eyed peas cooked with a ham hock,creamed corn and iced tea.How about them apples?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. My favorite rabbit hunting tool is a S&W M-14 K-38 Target Masterpiece. It will shoot 1" groups at 25 yards. In my younger days I shot this pistol in a league (PPC) and it was a LOT of fun. Sheriffs and sportsmen shooting together.

9Q5XoWO.jpg

At night when I put the chickens to bed I carry a Ruger Super-Single Six .22 LR. It has ended the careers of lots of rats and raccoons. I used to also use a Colt Officers w/.22LR Ciener conversion - but THE ADMIRAL absconded with that and keeps it in her safe. I encourage that!

Pistols are only for killing people? That's like saying knives are only for stabbing people. None of mine have ever killed anyone that I know of. But who knows what they might get up to while I'm at work. As far as defensive carry - I would say a pistol is a efficient way to stop a threat. I don't care if you are alive or dead as long as you are no longer a threat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, it looks like another guy with a sword just killed 8 more people in Indiana. Ya think they would have been able to out run him

What is interesting about that episode, Davest, is that the first persons called to remedy the situation were Men with Guns and badges. It was too late for a gun to stop a gun though, because the perpetrator shot himself to death, so all the cops could use was their badges. The badges collected information about the crime, but only after the fact.

You see, a gun was needed on scene at the time of the shooting to stop the shooting. But the cops can't be everywhere. So what better way to insure that there is a gun at the scene of a crime in progress than to have decent people who choose to bear arms do so?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What is interesting about that episode, Davest, is that the first persons called to remedy the situation were Men with Guns and badges. It was too late for a gun to stop a gun though, because the perpetrator shot himself to death, so all the cops could use was their badges. The badges collected information about the crime, but only after the fact.

You see, a gun was needed on scene at the time of the shooting to stop the shooting. But the cops can't be everywhere. So what better way to insure that there is a gun at the scene of a crime in progress than to have decent people who choose to bear arms do so?
Exactly, if one person had a gun in that situation the outcome could have been much better. Remember that kook in the Texas church? Sadly he did manage to kill one patron, then an armed church member shot him dead. End of story.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking more about "swords". The things the OP began with before the thread looping in and out and getting close to pollytickin but not quite.

Indiana is a concealed carry state with 5 year permits or something like that to generate user fees. Shoulda been at least one person with a weapon on their belt or in their boot but maybe FedEx doesn't allow the carrying of weapons in the workplace. They sure as hell don't permit the use of medical marijuana off premises for their employees and I sometimes wonder which is worse.

Remember, everyone is a fine, upstanding member of society........until they aren't.

I think you hit the head on the nail. Insure gun owners...if you want an m-4, go for it, if you want a .22 lr, feel free of buy as many as you want, hell, take it up to rpgs but you have to buy liability insurance just in case that weapon decides to accidentally discharge or some fine upstanding citizen decides to saddle someone with medical bills due to not being so fine and upstanding anymore.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking more about "swords". The things the OP began with before the thread looping in and out and getting close to pollytickin but not quite.

Indiana is a concealed carry state with 5 year permits or something like that to generate user fees. Shoulda been at least one person with a weapon on their belt or in their boot but maybe FedEx doesn't allow the carrying of weapons in the workplace. They sure as hell don't permit the use of medical marijuana off premises for their employees and I sometimes wonder which is worse.

Remember, everyone is a fine, upstanding member of society........until they aren't.

I think you hit the head on the nail. Insure gun owners...if you want an m-4, go for it, if you want a .22 lr, feel free of buy as many as you want, hell, take it up to rpgs but you have to buy liability insurance just in case that weapon decides to accidentally discharge or some fine upstanding citizen decides to saddle someone with medical bills due to not being so fine and upstanding anymore.

Are you under the impression blades are not a concern as the O.P. asks about , due to your gun paranoia?

https://apnews.com/article/466833b7e5fe400f830dd7838cc9c464

Till people understand a certain mindset's carrying out it's desire of violence that is the problem, good luck removing all sticks and stones from peoples reach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_school_massacre

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davest, you may have missed it, the opening post was still about firearms, the "sword" he mentioned was a Jimenez J.A. 22LR

This is the "sword".
Wikijenningsj22-1.jpg

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
crashbandicoot:

Why do you think more laws are the only possible solution?

I linked to the Biden Administration's proposals - no new laws mentioned. I stated a national study is required, and funding needs to be made available for that (or, at least, the current silly restrictions on funding such research need to be removed). I guess that's a new "law" is you want to press your case.

Why narrow a search for answers?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not a Jimezez J.A.-22 exactly, Treasure_Hunter. That image is a Jennings J-22. The parts are like 99.9% interchangeable between the two.

Jennings designed the J-22 due to government banning the import of small fixed site semiautomatic pistols such as the Baby Browning and Sterling pistols. Jennings got sued out existence, sold the defunct remains to an employee name Jimenez, who was also recently sued out existence. Some bone head judges decided that since the firearm functioned as designed, it is "unsafe". Poppycock.

.22 long rifle, 2-1/2" barrel, six shot magazine, about 650fps 40 grain pill with maybe 65 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle. It has a cocking indicator, and an extactor instead of just an ejector.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yGmwhXgV_xg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread