Do you trust your neighbor to own a sword?

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just stating that mass murder is illegal isn’t helpful.

In the right hands, the tool isn’t a problem. In the wrong hands, some tools facilitate mass murder. Just like ammonium nitrate fertilizers aren’t a problem when used as intended. You’re not going to convince me that the Las Vegas loser could have killed so many people with his hands, a rock, a steak knife, hammer, or sword. So how do we keep the tool out of the wrong hands?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

You are going to be real sad to realize that the Vagas shooter did in fact use his own hands..

The shooter controls the gun, not the other way 'round.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2,977 people were killed on 9/11 and not a shot was fired or a gun brandished. Largest single mass-murder ever.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Currently violent offenders (felons) are prohibited from legally owning firearms - for as long as they live.

And yet that does not prevent them from owning firearms because they do not respect laws. If we ban firearms it will be as successful as banning alcohol was in the 1920's. We will just strengthen illegal trade - like cocaine and heroin. Russia and North Korea will probably make out fine with the added manufacturing demand. Laws do not stop criminals.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FBI: More people killed with knives, hammers, clubs and even feet than rifles in 2018

It’s the data that the mainstream media tends to bury when it doesn’t fit their agenda.

According to the FBI, more than five times as many people were killed in 2018 by knives, clubs and other cutting instruments than with rifles.

The metrics show that there were a total of 1,515 deaths by knives or other cutting instruments last year. Compare that against 297 people killed by rifles.

It’s a gap that widened significantly over 2017. In that year, the FBI said nearly four times as many people were stabbed to death as killed with rifles. During that year, the number of murders with rifles was around 400.

It gets better. More than 100 more people were killed with hammers and clubs in 2018 than were killed by rifles. There were 443 people killed with hammers, clubs, or other “blunt objects”.

We need to point out that the data isn’t just semiautomatic rifles – it’s ALL rifles, including bolt action, pump or lever action rifles as well.

If you were to contrast the numbers between JUST semiautomatic rifles and knife homicides, the gap would be even larger.

Here’s another number that will blow your mind. The data also shows that in 2018, there were 672 deaths from “fists, feet and other ‘personal weapons’” – which is once again more than with rifles.

In 2017, there were 692 people killed in the same way – a number larger than the total number of homicides by rifles and shotguns combined

Rifles are only used in a small fraction of murders committed using firearms.

FBI data from that year showed that more than 7,100 people were killed using handguns, and that the vast majority of non-fatal crimes involving guns are also committed using handguns.

A 2012 study offers interesting reflections by a New Jersey intelligence center, which works in conjunction with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

“Semiautomatic handguns are the weapon of choice for mass shootings,” the report notes.

According to the CDC, in 2017, six-in-ten gun-related deaths in the U.S. were suicides (23,854), while 37% were murders (14,542).

The rest were either unintentional (486), involved law enforcement (553) or had undetermined circumstances (338).

In 2017, gun suicides reached their highest recorded level … yet the number of gun murders remained far below the peak in 1993, when there were 18,253 gun homicides. Also during that time, overall violent crime levels in the U.S. were much higher than they are today.

FBI: More people killed with knives, hammers, clubs and even feet than rifles in 2018

And although 2017 also brought the highest total number of gun deaths in America, it doesn’t account for the growing population of the country.

When you break that down on a per-capita basis, we’re talking about 12 gun deaths per 100,000 people in 2017 – the highest rate in more than two decades, but still well below the 16.3 gun deaths per 100,000 people in 1974, the highest rate in the CDC’s online database.

Suicides have long accounted for the majority of U.S. gun deaths.

FBI: More people killed with knives, hammers, feet than rifles in 2018 (lawenforcementtoday.com)

Last edited:

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=1]FBI: More people killed with knives, hammers, clubs and even feet than rifles in 2018[/h]
It’s the data that the mainstream media tends to bury when it doesn’t fit their agenda.
According to the FBI, more than five times as many people were killed in 2018 by knives, clubs and other cutting instruments than with rifles.
The metrics show that there were a total of 1,515 deaths by knives or other cutting instruments last year. Compare that against 297 people killed by rifles.
It’s a gap that widened significantly over 2017. In that year, the FBI said nearly four times as many people were stabbed to death as killed with rifles. During that year, the number of murders with rifles was around 400.
It gets better. More than 100 more people were killed with hammers and clubs in 2018 than were killed by rifles. There were 443 people killed with hammers, clubs, or other “blunt objects”.
We need to point out that the data isn’t just semiautomatic rifles – it’s ALL rifles, including bolt action, pump or lever action rifles as well.
If you were to contrast the numbers between JUST semiautomatic rifles and knife homicides, the gap would be even larger.
Here’s another number that will blow your mind. The data also shows that in 2018, there were 672 deaths from “fists, feet and other ‘personal weapons’” – which is once again more than with rifles.
In 2017, there were 692 people killed in the same way – a number larger than the total number of homicides by rifles and shotguns combined.

FBI: More people killed with knives, hammers, feet than rifles in 2018 (lawenforcementtoday.com)

I find it interesting that the solution to gun deaths is to enact more laws to get rid of guns, yet the solution to deaths by drug overdose (71,000) is to pass more laws to decriminalize possession and use of drugs.
Either way more laws is the answer.....ya right.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The problem with the Fed Ex shooter had nothing to do with the type of firearm used and weather it had been modified in some way. He could just as easily used a Glock 19 (common police type gun) & had several extra magazines. It would have been just as lethal. The problem was with the person committing the heinous crime. Red flags go up on people all the time and nothing gets done. Society's ills are to blame. A method to kill will always be found if that is a sick persons desire. Guns are easy to aquire illegally and lying on a form is illegal. Taking away my ability to protect myself will never fix the problem. Gun control laws are just painting the front of the barn while the back is on fire.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And yet that does not prevent them from owning firearms because they do not respect laws. If we ban firearms it will be as successful as banning alcohol was in the 1920's. We will just strengthen illegal trade - like cocaine and heroin. Russia and North Korea will probably make out fine with the added manufacturing demand. Laws do not stop criminals.

I just wanted to point out there are laws on the books...there are safeguards in place that attempt to keep firearms out of the hands of people that we all agree shouldn’t have them. There are some hefty penalties for lying on that form.

It still doesn’t work.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kantukeean, I admit that the USA ain't the safest country on this planet. People get robbed, stabbed, shot, burglarized, raped, and murdered most everyday. My question to you is, what are you going to do if somebody is robbing, stabbing, burglarizing, or murdering you?

The easy answer is to dial 911, right? And who shows up when you call 911?

Men With Guns.

Would you prefer the coroner instead?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tesoro, this section of the form has always concerned me:

Questions 21.e. Prohibited Persons: ...is an unlawful user of, or addicted to,
marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance.
Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of
whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state
where you reside.
. (bold by me)

How many of us take a "controlled substance" daily?

Use of controlled substances is regulated by the US Gov't, and a formal
prescription is required to purchase or possess them.

I take a number of "controlled substances" daily, and if I were to
suddenly stop taking them, there would be negative results and in
some cases some form of physical withdrawal would occur.

No, I'm not talking about opioids, but I am referencing the medications
many of us take regularly. As for myself, I take a thyroid hormone,
a blood pressure reducer, a mild happy pill, a low dose of Adderall
and a couple others for cholesterol.

I know that we generally think of meth/heroin, etc. when considering
drug addiction, but that's not what the form says.

Not an unlawful user, but addicted in the sense I require them daily,
as do many people my age. Never been investigated for any crime, and
my last speeding ticket was in '91.

Are we [technically] now banned from purchasing a firearm as a result?

Last edited:

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There should be a waiting period of 2 weeks to buy a hammer. All black hammers should be banned.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There should be a waiting period of 2 weeks to buy a hammer. All black hammers should be banned.

As soon as someone kills 25 or 30 people with a hammer, we'll crack down on hammers. The problem with guns is that it's the weapon of choice of cowards. You can shoot someone from 100 feet and they can't defend themselves from you. Say what you will, but it take guts to attack a crowd of people with a knife or a bat. There's the very real chance that some person will fend you off and kick your butt. But shooting people from a distance is the choice of the cowards in this world. Nice and clean and no chance of anyone being able to defend themselves against you.

Add to the fact that they can fire hundreds of rounds in a few minutes from some weapons and you have a recipe for disaster. Not many of these cowards are shooting up places with a six shooter! They know they'll be lucky to kill 3 or 4 people before someone is on them. That's no fun because they hate the world and want to kill as many people as they can before killing themselves. Eliminate all guns that fire more than six rounds without reloading and this bloodbath will end. No one needs to have a gun that fires more than six rounds anyway. If you can't fend off an intruder with six shots, you deserve to die.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro, this section of the form has always concerned me:

. (bold by me)

How many of us take a "controlled substance" daily?

Use of controlled substances is regulated by the US Gov't, and a formal
prescription is required to purchase or possess them.

I take a number of "controlled substances" daily, and if I were to
suddenly stop taking them, there would be negative results and in
some cases some form of physical withdrawal would occur.

No, I'm not talking about opioids, but I am referencing the medications
many of us take regularly. As for myself, I take a thyroid hormone,
a blood pressure reducer, a mild happy pill, a low dose of Adderall
and a couple others for cholesterol.

I know that we generally think of meth/heroin, etc. when considering
drug addiction, but that's not what the form says.

Not an unlawful user, but addicted in the sense I require them daily,
as do many people my age. Never been investigated for any crime, and
my last speeding ticket was in '91.

Are we [technically] now banned from purchasing a firearm as a result?

I think the question is intended to prevent people from buying a gun that is or should be in rehab getting treatment for addiction.

I do think we should apply a higher level of scrutiny to applicants that routinely take psychostimulants, antidepressants, mood stabilizers, etc. I realize many people benefit from those types of drugs, but there are also some very real consequences when they stop taking the medications or adjust the combinations of drugs. I’m not sure how to go about that without stepping on people’s rights. I just know many of the shooters the media focuses on had been taking those types of drugs to try and cope with issues they were experiencing.

A friend had a conceal carry permit application scrutinized because of medications he was taking. The sheriff personally interviewed him and might have even somehow consulted with the doctor.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't fend off an intruder with six shots, you deserve to die.

First off...WOW just WOW!

Second, you do realize that the rate of hits during a gun fight is as low as 18% when trained police officers are involved in a gun battle. 6 x .18 = 1.08

Wonder what that ratio would be if you were not trained each month and had access to unlimited amounts of ammo.
If you were engaging an evil person that was armed with an illegal assault weapon after just waking up from a dead asleep. Wonder what chances you would have?

Your idea is absurd in that it has no roots in reality.

With that said, I routinely carry a 5 shooter. Perhaps I should look into something that holds more rounds.

Last edited:

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As soon as someone kills 25 or 30 people with a hammer, we'll crack down on hammers. The problem with guns is that it's the weapon of choice of coward.

No one needs to have a gun that fires more than six rounds anyway. If you can't fend off an intruder with six shots, you deserve to die.

See how you make my point for me that its ridiculous to blame the tool instead of the user?

There was once a mass killing with the jaw bone of an ass. Let's ban asses. Dang sure no shortage of them.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't fend off an intruder with six shots, you deserve to die.

So, when 4 people kick in your front door and you only have 6 rounds to protect your wife, 2 daughters and son, do they deserve to die too, is your wife and 2 daughters killed after being rape?

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, when 4 people kick in your front door and you only have 6 rounds to protect your wife, 2 daughters and son, do they deserve to die too, is your wife and 2 daughters killed after being rape?

Do you seriously worry about this happening? Wow, just wow...

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home invasions are far more prevalent than mass shootings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread