DOC NOSS-Victorio Peak OR The Caballo Mountains

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whiskeyrat,

If you are planning on hooking up with someone, I highly recommend setting everything up via email or phone. Also, don't broadcast your comings and goings online. A lot of lurkers here. Even without saying anything about going, someone still took a shot at me last month in the Superstition Mountains outside Phoenix.

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was from a ridge about 300 yds away. Although nobody can accurately aim a mostly stock 9mm to 900 feet, I emptied three 10 rd mags at the area the shot came from as fast as I could. I don't think the shooter expected return fire. There wasn't a second shot from them. Hope I put one in his head.

Funny thing, I read later that week of a tourista dying at the Peralta Trailhead the next day (8/12/15). She died of heat though. Unusual coincidence though.

Mike

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whiskeyrat, people are real sneaky, one winter when I was in the caballo's, I kept hearing someone blasting not to far from me ,after about a month I just about figured out were it was coming from, and it was always on a Saturday night,so the next Saturday night I sat in the area I thought it was coming from, sure enough,right at dark ,boom, I went to the area and saw the smoke, but by the time I got there no one was in site,i know they didn't leave, I was on the apache trail just south of the towers,its a real cliffy area, I really wanted to see what they were blasting into, so I decided to stay till day light,in the morning early I could hear a lot of noise coming from below, but I still could not see anyone ,then I saw a man coming out of the ground,yes I said coming out of the ground,at least that's what it looked like,he was by himself and in a hurry,i waited a little while to make sure he was gone, I walked about 100 feet were I was sure he come out of the ground, earlier I just couldn't believe what I was seeing,when I got to the area there was a hole going down about 15 feet to a cliff that was only about 4 feet wide , in the hole was an aluminum extension ladder going down to the cliff, I went down the ladder and walked around on this cliff and found a hole that went back about 10 feet to another hole that was about 4 feet deep,this guy was blasting down into solid rock on a cliff,were did he expect to go,that just shows you how nutty some of those people are. theres lots of things to be learned from this, but the main thing is anything can pop up.np:cat:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NP,

Nothing nutty about it. He was after one of two things:

1. Found that little cave and thought it may have had a sealed shaft inside.

2. So many stories about people hearing hammers clanging underground while they were walking or on horseback. Larry/Willie was even supposed to have told about hearing the Taggart's Horses riding to and from their claims (Burbank Canyon) while he was in his cave. If you get lucky and pick the right spot, one blast could open a tunnel close to the surface.

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't tell you what he/she was shooting with. I only know about where it came from, and it hit the ground about 4-5 feet from me. Close enough to claim self defense if I hit'em. Also, shooting at something downhill from you is VERY difficult (unless you know the downhill drop formulae):

Downhill Drop Formulae

Learned that years ago in the military. I spent about three rounds shooting high, but as soon as I saw/heard a ping, I just stayed at that aimpoint and fired off the rest of that mag plus two others (I always carry about six mags because California thinks that I might go crazy with a 15 rd mag).

Mike

whiskeyrat

May 7, 2012
mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I truly appreciate everyones concern and advice. I have had many run ins with wierd o's over the years in the wilderness, so i know of what you speak. I am well prepared, aware, and very well armed (and know how to use them) at all times.
But, I do this just for fun and adventure. I respect all claims and private property ( I always know what property I am on) and over the years I have made many friends in the mountains of New Mexico. Yes there are wierd o's out there, but there are also a lot of great people also who just appreciate the mountains and the adventure as I do. Hopefully I continue to meet those people.
Having said that, yes, I will as much as possible be under the radar and unannounced. Like smoke in the woods drifting on the winds. Just propecting for placer gold.
Like I tell my kids. Dont mourn for me if I go during one of my adventures. Have a party and celebrate the great life I had. (and spread my ashes under my favorite tree, they know where its at).
Im not going to sit home on the couch waiting to die in some rest home.
wr

whiskeyrat

May 7, 2012
mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whiskeyrat,

If you are planning on hooking up with someone, I highly recommend setting everything up via email or phone. Also, don't broadcast your comings and goings online. A lot of lurkers here. Even without saying anything about going, someone still took a shot at me last month in the Superstition Mountains outside Phoenix.

Mike

Mike:
thanks for the advice and concern. I prefer to go alone. Just like the solitude and freedom to come and go as I please. Wont be hooking up with anyone unless i really know them.
Glad the wierd o did not get you. Maybe it was just a stray shot???
wr

whiskeyrat

May 7, 2012
mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
whiskeyrat, people are real sneaky, one winter when I was in the caballo's, I kept hearing someone blasting not to far from me ,after about a month I just about figured out were it was coming from, and it was always on a Saturday night,so the next Saturday night I sat in the area I thought it was coming from, sure enough,right at dark ,boom, I went to the area and saw the smoke, but by the time I got there no one was in site,i know they didn't leave, I was on the apache trail just south of the towers,its a real cliffy area, I really wanted to see what they were blasting into, so I decided to stay till day light,in the morning early I could hear a lot of noise coming from below, but I still could not see anyone ,then I saw a man coming out of the ground,yes I said coming out of the ground,at least that's what it looked like,he was by himself and in a hurry,i waited a little while to make sure he was gone, I walked about 100 feet were I was sure he come out of the ground, earlier I just couldn't believe what I was seeing,when I got to the area there was a hole going down about 15 feet to a cliff that was only about 4 feet wide , in the hole was an aluminum extension ladder going down to the cliff, I went down the ladder and walked around on this cliff and found a hole that went back about 10 feet to another hole that was about 4 feet deep,this guy was blasting down into solid rock on a cliff,were did he expect to go,that just shows you how nutty some of those people are. theres lots of things to be learned from this, but the main thing is anything can pop up.np:cat:

NP:
see now, thats the stuff life is made of. Thats the stuff you remember lone after the boring stuff is forgotten. You have truly had an advernturous life. You lived during what i think was the best time. Life has gotten pretty "controlled and dull" these days. I doubt a normbal person can get blasting stuff anymore. Hell we are barely allowed on public land let alone do anything without permission from the man. Sometimes i think i was born 100 years too late. But I will take what I got and make the most of it. Would love to meet you some day.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not know that you are a English teacher. Bring me up to date if any more treasures was found in the last 20 years.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

Great post amigo, keep 'em coming! :thumbsup: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:coffee2: :coffee2:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
NP:
see now, thats the stuff life is made of. Thats the stuff you remember lone after the boring stuff is forgotten. You have truly had an advernturous life. You lived during what i think was the best time. Life has gotten pretty "controlled and dull" these days. I doubt a normbal person can get blasting stuff anymore. Hell we are barely allowed on public land let alone do anything without permission from the man. Sometimes i think i was born 100 years too late. But I will take what I got and make the most of it. Would love to meet you some day.

You were not 100 years too late, and there are still plenty of adventures to have today. In fact I am willing to bet that 100 years from now, people will be wishing they could have been alive now, when all the great new technologies were coming into use and so little explored, so much left to be found!

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were not 100 years too late, and there are still plenty of adventures to have today. In fact I am willing to bet that 100 years from now, people will be wishing they could have been alive now, when all the great new technologies were coming into use and so little explored, so much left to be found!
whiskeyrat:coffee2: In the years to come,you will have your own adventures to talk about, not all will be exciting, but to you they will be memorable, just remember to pass them on, If you find that your not having memory's of your adventures then your not spending enough time hunting for your dreams , no matter what they are, keep the spirit, happy hunting,np:cat:

KXMember

Dec 19, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
OKM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:coffee2:how did you come to this conclusion.:dontknow:NP:cat:

I know folks that were close friends to Ova and Doc. If Ova knew of a box left for her...she would have retrieved it. She was a very dedicated woman and didn't leave anything behind if she could help it.

KXMember

Dec 19, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
OKM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good friend of mine, Joe, worked with her and the Kansas Lawyer. We have coffee often right here by UNM.

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good friend of mine, Joe, worked with her and the Kansas Lawyer. We have coffee often right here by UNM.
:coffee2:I know someone that was very close to her also,her daughter L Guthrie. and she spent a lot of time and money looking for it.np:cat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread