What's new

Does a plastic Coil Protector reduce depth sensitivity?

C-Weed

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2009
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Springfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark, White's DFX-300
Last year, I bought a Tesoro Tigershark and it came with a plastic coil protector on it. Does this coil protector reduce the depth or sensitivty?

Is it worth leaving on or would it be better if I removed it.

Thanks !
CW
 
I don't think any plastic coil cover would reduce depth............what can happen is that using a coil cover can affect the performance if you are not careful to keep things clean. Soil and whatever else that gets trapped in those things can cause issues........I know that some people seal theirs........I'd rather keep mine unsealed so that I can clean it out after a hunt or during a hunt if necessary.
 
I second what Ricardo said.
 
no.

not as long as you remove it and clean it out regularly
 
no.

not as long as you remove it and clean it out regularly

It is very cheap insurance to use a coil cover than to wear the coil thin on the edges and have to replace the whole coil. I used to seal my edges but a gap appeared anyway that I didn't notice and I couldn't figure out what was causing the detector to be unstable. Having to remove the sealant so I could get the cover off was a job. Now it is just fine to slip off the cover to tap out any black sand.
 
Thanks Everyone for your help.
 
According to the manufacturers, they don't. I've read some opinions to the contrary, but I've tested several of mine both with and without and couldn't tell any difference. I'd rather have the protection so I use them.
Bill
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom