✅ SOLVED Does anybody think this fine eBay treasure is the real deal?

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 7.39.16 PM.jpg

Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That so-called "Andersonville Prison" ID-tag is laughably fake, for several reasons.
Primarily, there is no historical record of Andersonville ever issuing such an item.
Secondly, note that the letters are stamped individually, one-at-a-time, instead of the letter-dies being mounted on a bar and being struck all at once.
(See an example of a bar-stamped marking on the civil war artillery Gunner's Level in the photo below.)
Also, the "stretched-letter X" meant to represent the Confederate Army's battleflag is obviously hooey.
The many asterisk/starburst stampings scattered all over the item are kinda needlessly decorative for a prison ID-tag, don'tcha think?
I could continue, but I'm sure that's enough, for everybody except the Ebay seller of this completely fake relic.

ANY TIME you see individually-stamped markings on an alleged historical relic, be very-very suspicious that the marking is fake. Especially if it's for sale on Ebay. I'll attach another photo, showing a group of blazingly fake "civil war Slave-Tags."

Mud Hut, it looks like the fake Andersonville tag was produced by the same Faker who made the bogus "Julius Slave Mobile" tag in the photo below. Note the two "decorative" stretched-letter Xs, and the three-digit tag number also being located at the tag's upper right corner, and the square hole.

Attachments

• marking_Gunners-Level_Watervliet-Arsenal-1863_photobyCCRelics.jpg
    marking_Gunners-Level_Watervliet-Arsenal-1863_photobyCCRelics.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 52
  • marking_STERLING_dated-1897_Howard--Co-New-York.jpg
    marking_STERLING_dated-1897_Howard--Co-New-York.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 53
  • marking_Blockletters-and-Serifletters_Fake-slavetags_Ebay_pic9180.jpg
    marking_Blockletters-and-Serifletters_Fake-slavetags_Ebay_pic9180.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 10

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this a metal bld. sign?

Aerotype/Buckboard Family typeface?​

No not a Metal Building Sign, the auction is claiming it's an ID tag for a Civil War soldier kept at the Andersonville Prison.

Our resident expert CBG has shot (Pun intended) that claim to pieces and put it to bed.

Upvote 3

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GlowingGem asked:
> Is this a metal bld. sign?
> Aerotype/Buckboard Family typeface?

No. As Retired Sarge said, the object is a (fake) civil war ID-tag, not a building sign. Also, it is not written in Buckboard typeface. In that typeface/font, the horizontal lines of each letter are MUCH thicker than the vertical lines. Click the link below to see examples of Buckboard typeface.

Upvote 1

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This guy is such an obvious scammer I wouldn't be surprised at all if he claimed to have George Washington's teeth...
Sorry you are too late I already bought those. The one's George wore when he crossed the Delaware. He gave me a great deal! :thumbsup:
They fit pretty good but they taste funny.

If you really want them I could maybe loan therm to you?

Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread