Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't be this guy.

Hi all, merc here. Haven't been on the forum much in the past 8 months or so. I think I've learned enough that I have a pretty good system down and I pull in 5 to 20 silvers per week and I'm thankful for the knowledge I have picked up here on treasure net. What prompted me to post today was a very upsetting experience I had yesterday. I get three boxes of halves per week from one of my supply banks and I was looking forward to the search because I did well last week (1 90% and 4 40%). So I get home and rip into the first box. Repacks. I know this happens but it's the first time for me. All three sealed boxes were repacks. I'm more angry at the courier then the crh who did it but my point I want to make is, don't do this. This has been debated on here before and I've heard the arguments the repackers use but to me it's just not a crh best practice and it's inconsiderate to your fellow hunters. It just wasted my time and dumping resources. To people who do this, I hope you reap what you sow. To the rest of the hunters who do it right, good luck and happy hunting.

Attachments

• image-1359253721.jpg
    image-1359253721.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 200
Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find where they pick up...and dump them back there!

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate these people as well..

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Same thing happened to me a month or so ago. I had ordered 2 boxes from one of my p/u banks and instead I got 2 repacked boxes that someone else dumped at the bank. The head teller at this bank has told me some other guy has been ordering boxes from this bank too and brings back the searched coins repacked in the same boxes at the same bank. She obviously hasn't been too happy about so she told him he couldn't do that and she wont order him boxes anymore.

So this other CRHer is messing things up for everybody - me, himself and the bank. This head teller knows I never dump my halves back with her so she has said she will keep ordering boxes for me but if this other guy keeps dumping his repack boxes at this bank I will likely get stuck with more repacked boxes in the future that I then have to dump at my dump bank. It is definitely one of the downsides to the hobby.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
All part of the game. I get bags, not boxes, but its the same thing. If i get a bag from somebody's dump bank, its pretty easy to tell.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All part of the game. I get bags, not boxes, but its the same thing. If i get a bag from somebody's dump bank, its pretty easy to tell.

Really no different than buying freshly dumped CWR except you can't really tell that easily with the CWRs. I have been on both ends of this transaction but I don't do boxes anymore. I know it sucks and I'm not discounting your concern but it is part of the hobby no matter how you hunt. Better luck next time! HH!

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other

I get some that are painted green a bunch. I spend part of my time in Texas and the other above the Red River. But it is easy to tell if its dumps in bags. I love seei g the bags with trash and pennies in it. Tell why they dont sale 500$ bags though.

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find where they pick up...and dump them back there!
I'd love to pay him back but don't have any idea how to find out who or where. He didn't dump at my pick up bank. Wherever he dumped, that bank sent his repacks back with the courier, and they put the rolls in their boxes, ran them through the sealer and shipped them out. I had my teller complain to them but they feel it's OK to do this. I know my activities annoy the couriers, more boxes for them to lug around, because they tell my tellers at numerous banks I pick up at that I'm wasting my time because I'm just searching the same coins, over and over again. Of course this is BS because I find silver. The coins I do get back over and over don't matter as long as I find some silver. Anyway, I took all these halves, opened the rolls, and put in bags for proper disposal. They know it's me because my name is on the bags. My dump bank is right across the street from my pick up bank. It's their next stop on their route. As much as they would like me to stop, I won't, can't, because of my silver addiction. The search goes on.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to pay him back but don't have any idea how to find out who or where. He didn't dump at my pick up bank. Wherever he dumped, that bank sent his repacks back with the courier, and they put the rolls in their boxes, ran them through the sealer and shipped them out. I had my teller complain to them but they feel it's OK to do this. I know my activities annoy the couriers, more boxes for them to lug around, because they tell my tellers at numerous banks I pick up at that I'm wasting my time because I'm just searching the same coins, over and over again. Of course this is BS because I find silver. The coins I do get back over and over don't matter as long as I find some silver. Anyway, I took all these halves, opened the rolls, and put in bags for proper disposal. They know it's me because my name is on the bags. My dump bank is right across the street from my pick up bank. It's their next stop on their route. As much as they would like me to stop, I won't, can't, because of my silver addiction. The search goes on.

It is definitely an addiction. Somehow finding silver doesn't ease the pressure either...you just have to have MORE!

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same thing happened to me a month or so ago. I had ordered 2 boxes from one of my p/u banks and instead I got 2 repacked boxes that someone else dumped at the bank. The head teller at this bank has told me some other guy has been ordering boxes from this bank too and brings back the searched coins repacked in the same boxes at the same bank. She obviously hasn't been too happy about so she told him he couldn't do that and she wont order him boxes anymore. So this other CRHer is messing things up for everybody - me, himself and the bank. This head teller knows I never dump my halves back with her so she has said she will keep ordering boxes for me but if this other guy keeps dumping his repack boxes at this bank I will likely get stuck with more repacked boxes in the future that I then have to dump at my dump bank. It is definitely one of the downsides to the hobby.
I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut off from dumping there also, because it is just so obvious to the bank what he's doing. At least when you use a new wrapper it's not so glaringly obvious what you are doing. True, it's not hard to figure out but when you use a new wrapper, some bank employees will wonder where you got all those half dollars versus reusing the original wrapper, obviously they just came from another bank. I hope I don't see more next week.

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really no different than buying freshly dumped CWR except you can't really tell that easily with the CWRs. I have been on both ends of this transaction but I don't do boxes anymore. I know it sucks and I'm not discounting your concern but it is part of the hobby no matter how you hunt. Better luck next time! HH! Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
no, I respectfully disagree. Most hunters in my area mark their rolls so they don't get them back and I like to think, as a courtesy to other hunters. Part of my CRH strategy is to hand wrap some of my dimes that come from boxes and then trade them for other cwr at many different banks. My tellers know my mark and don't trade my own back to me, nor do they give me other hunters marked rolls. If other hunters don't mark their rolls then yes, all part of the game and I accept that but it's not usually the case for me.

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is definitely an addiction. Somehow finding silver doesn't ease the pressure either...you just have to have MORE! Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
Ain't that the truth.

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all, for the replies. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't been on much in recent months and I'd forgotten how enjoyable it can be to converse with like minded silver hounds. HH

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
no, I respectfully disagree. Most hunters in my area mark their rolls so they don't get them back and I like to think, as a courtesy to other hunters. Part of my CRH strategy is to hand wrap some of my dimes that come from boxes and then trade them for other cwr at many different banks. My tellers know my mark and don't trade my own back to me, nor do they give me other hunters marked rolls. If other hunters don't mark their rolls then yes, all part of the game and I accept that but it's not usually the case for me.

Obviously they were dumps. But say they had gotten shipped off and rerolled in a warehouse somewhere...they would still be dumps, right?

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Obviously they were dumps. But say they had gotten shipped off and rerolled in a warehouse somewhere...they would still be dumps, right?
Well, no. Once they go back and get dumped into the hopper of the rolling machine they have a chance to get mixed with coins from other sources which hopefully have some silver mixed in. This was the argument the courier made to my teller. That I was just searching the same coins over and over again. There is some truth in that but it's not the whole story.

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad I ran into this thread! I've been searching rolls off and on for years And never really knew there were rules to it, or considerations for other searchers Is maybe a better way to say it. I've never been angry for getting dumps! Maybe I'll find something someone else has missed! Some of the banks have to be getting tired of dealing with the coin rolls by now! lol Good luck hunting!! I wish I could go through the coinstar coins!! I can't imagine what gets dumped into those!!
There is a lot of knowledge needed to maximize your results CRH and this is a great site to learn that knowledge. If I go into a bank and ask for half dollars (something I do a lot) and they say, why yes, we have $230 of them, I can decide based on the amount and appearance of the rolls, whether or not I want them. Usually I take them all. A fairly large amount like that is usually a dump but you never know. What angered me about this situation was opening the sealed box and not getting rolls that came right out of the wrapping machine. And about coinstar, they reject silver. You want to check the reject slot. That's where coinstar can help you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread