Don't Judge a Book By the Cover

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several weeks ago I took some back roads home from a doctor's visit when I ran across a school that looked to be built in the 70's. Last week I made the half hour drive to check it out with my F5 equipped with a sharp shooter coil. It was apparent that nobody is detecting this school as I found 40 clad coins in the first couple of hours of detecting. I checked the dates and most all were from the 70'-80's. I was ready to call it a day, but decided to try the far back corner. Glad I did because I found two wheaties from the 50's. When I left, I had a large corner to check out at a later day.

Well this morning was that day. I decided to put the bigger coil on the F5(11 inch Fisher coil) The very first target was that deep "whine of a whisper" that the F5 is famous for. From 7 inches I see a silver dime. 1952 roosie. Now I am convinced that I am on to something. Next deep whisper is a crusty wheat from 8 inches. The next two targets were clad dimes from 6 inches deep. I concentrated my grid on the area where the roosie and wheat came from and the next target confirmed that I made the right choice. I got a signal that was barely audible, but hit from two angles. No numbers, but I knew it was a deep coin and it was. 1946 quarter from 9-10 inches. I ended up with two more wheats and only covered about 1/4 of the corner before the rain started.

I don't know why these coins were here, but is truly pays to do some scouting. There is enough ground at this school to keep me busy for a couple of months, but the emi makes most of it un-huntable. The F5 is equipped for these sites with the separate gain and threshold. Every time I use the F5 I start grinning like a jackass chewing briars. It really is a nice detector.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some great silver finds, bet there's more there!

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like your report on your successes with your F-5. I've been wanting to get one for years, and now that they came down in price I'm very tempted to pull the trigger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread