DONT LEAVE HOLES - If you don't fill the holes you dig... sell your metal detector... for you shouldn't own one.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you are the someone who does not dispose of the trash you dig or fill the holes you dig properly... and have no intention of doing so.

PLEASE STOP detecting... your tarnishing the hobby / craft and giving it a bad name.

Sell your gear to someone who respects it.
I had permission for a 1,000 acre farm a few years back. I am meticulous about filling holes and leaving no trace even in cow pastures. One day I went to detect there and there were holes all over the place, some over a foot deep and not filled in. In an active pasture. So, I spent the next hour filling in holes and while doing so, the farmer showed up. I told them about it and assured them I would never leave open holes. They told me they knew the other guy detecting and would watch him. The next week I was there again and they drove up and told me they caught him doing it again and ran him off. He would never hunt there again. I had permanent permission to detect. Be courteous and leave the property like you found it.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said...you can only hope that these bozos practiced detecting in their own yards first because they are stupid enough to even wreck their own yards!

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some just have any respect for when it comes to others in the hobby.
Lots of places (cities) have been outright banned detecting for this reason, yet folks still don't get it.

Seen at the beach even, craters left everywhere, on the land and even in the water. Really what does it take to kick a bit of sand back into the hole and pick up that piece of trash that was detected. No, they just left it on the pile of sand, or beside the hole.
Kind of funny as I was filling in the holes, picking up the trash, I scanned the sand and got a coin. This happened a few times so it really showed that the person was not too smart.

Back in the 80's while detecting in a large park I came across a target, dug the plug and there was multiple pieces of trash.
I knew what it was, a pouch of trash thrown into a dug hole and buried.
I picked it all out, walked 75 ft over to the trash barrel and dumped it in, thinking unpleasant thoughts.

Few years later I was at my buddy's detector business, and there was another fellow there. This park came up in conversation and the guy said this.
" That park (400 acres)has been hit so hard, we'd go there and just dig the silver, leave the pennies, and clad. Actually I used to empty my pouch into a dug hole and just bury it again."(laughing)

I casually asked why he'd do that?
"Oh the pouch would be getting a little full, and I thought it would be funny to see somebody else dig a target of trash." (laughing)
I just said that's too funny-I dug one of those up, walked over to the trash barrel that was near, and dumped it. Actually I thought at the time, "What type of arsehole would do that in the first place."
The conversation kind of lost its sense of ha ha after that it seemed.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a park to detect the other day and since there wasn't anyone there, thought I'd check-out the tot lot first. Probably spent the first ten minutes picking up all the trash the "parents" left on the ground. Then I realized, their offspring are genetically predetermined to follow in their footsteps, i.e. they are born litterbugs!

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry a bucket with me when detecting, it's usually full of surface trash I find by the time I leave along with stuff I've dug up.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone posted this sign here...

litter sign.jpg

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When park detecting I'll come back the next day & see some of the holes I filled are dug up. I'm thinking the menacing gray squirrels are digging up my plugs and people are going to think I'm leaving open holes. I'll have to walk around & refill the holes.

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I’ve become friends with some of the guys that maintain one of my local parks. They know I dispose of my trash so they come by in one their carts and let me empty my trash in the bucket they have when they see me.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not metal detecting but relevant. I live on a corner,there,s a stop sign at the intersection and when people stop,whatever they,re eating or drinking if they finish it,out the window it goes in my yard.Beer and pop cans and bottles,McD boxes and bags,Sonic cups,chicken bones,partially gnawed burgers,you get the picture.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People
Not metal detecting but relevant. I live on a corner,there,s a stop sign at the intersection and when people stop,whatever they,re eating or drinking if they finish it,out the window it goes in my yard.Beer and pop cans and bottles,McD boxes and bags,Sonic cups,chicken bones,partially gnawed burgers,you get the picture.
There are so many disrespectful ignorant people nowdays.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arc said it well. It is all about me, me, me, and screw you, you, you.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you OP. You dig you fill the dam holes. Let’s keep this hobby clean. Just takes a few to have no permission on past sites.
Just as bad is tossing down the trash or any unwanted item that was dug.

Nothing like someone seeing signs of digging ... filled or not... and crap and trash laying discarded around.

Guaranteed the person who picks it up instantly becomes an advocate against metal detecting.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you are the someone who does not dispose of the trash you dig or fill the holes you dig properly... and have no intention of doing so.

PLEASE STOP detecting... your tarnishing the hobby / craft and giving it a bad name.

Sell your gear to someone who respects it.
Screw it, those folks should just fold their gear up and place it in the hole. At least that way someone with manners can get some good out of it.

Either that or bring their mommy's along to clean up after them!!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Just as bad is tossing down the trash or any unwanted item that was dug.

Nothing like someone seeing signs of digging ... filled or not... and crap and trash laying discarded around.

Guaranteed the person who picks it up instantly becomes an advocate against metal detecting.
"Just as bad is tossing down the trash or any unwanted item that was dug."

Double AMEN AMEN! I have had a very seasoned veteran tector friend who won't carry a trash bag, so they are obviously ditching junk and not packing it out. My own brother answered me once when I asked about him taking trash he dug, he said, "I just toss it by the hole and move along." That is sad. Mike has detected twice as long as I have, and tossing trash by the hole is simply wrong.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Just as bad is tossing down the trash or any unwanted item that was dug."

Double AMEN AMEN! I have had a very seasoned veteran tector friend who won't carry a trash bag, so they are obviously ditching junk and not packing it out. My own brother answered me once when I asked about him taking trash he dug, he said, "I just toss it by the hole and move along." That is sad. Mike has detected twice as long as I have, and tossing trash by the hole is simply wrong.
And lame.... and if you ever plan on digging it again you are stupid as well. heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread