What's new

Double Barrel Muzzle Loader, LC and a Relic kind of day

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
76
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Went out on a hunt with Nova Treasure today and hit a site or two of mine and had a pretty decent hunt. We started out on one site and decided to leave due to no finds other than a lantern wick. We decided to leave and go hit another site that was kind to us both. Nova dug a complete skeleton key and some flat buttons. I was headed to the truck to fight off the cows that thought my truck was food or something, as I approached the truck my detector gave a good signal that I had to dig before fighting off the cows. Turned out to be an 1833 LC in fair condition. We dug on for awhile and I dug the iron dog, it will be getting dunked in the tank with the rest of the iron relics I need to work on. And then comes the Double Barrel. Yesterday while running barbed wire here on the farm, I was working along an old fence row. I noticed a piece of iron sticking out of the dirt and thought what is that? I pulled it from the ground and out it popped. I will be swinging around there sometime soon to see if I can find some more of it.
Happy Hunting to all,

HB
 

Attachments

  • 3-13-11 001.webp
    3-13-11 001.webp
    102 KB · Views: 1,298
  • 3-13-11 009.webp
    3-13-11 009.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,229
  • 3-13-11 008.webp
    3-13-11 008.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,232
  • 3-13-11 005.webp
    3-13-11 005.webp
    164.5 KB · Views: 1,226
  • 3-13-11 004.webp
    3-13-11 004.webp
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,219
  • 3-13-11 003.webp
    3-13-11 003.webp
    166.9 KB · Views: 1,229
  • 3-13-11 006.webp
    3-13-11 006.webp
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,242
  • 3-13-11 002.webp
    3-13-11 002.webp
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,260
Upvote 0
Losing that would have spoiled somebody's day. Cool find to be sure.
 
Looking good HB. That DB is a find you don't make every day. You guys did well and can go back and find more coins and relics there. You probably still had salt on your truck that attracted the cows. By the way, who bought lunch? HH, Quindy.
 
VOL1266-X said:
Looking good HB. That DB is a find you don't make every day. You guys did well and can go back and find more coins and relics there. You probably still had salt on your truck that attracted the cows. By the way, who bought lunch? HH, Quindy.

I bought lunch at Mc Donalds even though I didn't find an Eagle button or Spanish. I guess being I found the LC I had to buy. I think the rules need to be changed.
Darn shame that DB was used as a pry bar.
 
I like the one in your Avatar better H.B... :laughing7:One of my first finds was a shotgun barrel,makes ya wonder what the heck would happen to cause someone to completely abandon hope on salvging the weapon.I have found six long gun barrels,and three of them were used as pry bars
 
hey I think I found the action for that barrel!
 

Attachments

  • DSCN3124.webp
    DSCN3124.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,217
  • DSCN3138.webp
    DSCN3138.webp
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,328
  • DSCN3124.webp
    DSCN3124.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,133
  • DSCN3138.webp
    DSCN3138.webp
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,077
Nope, that action there's a breech loader, nice old action though.

Bout all you will find of the muzzle loader is the hammers, side plates and butt plate - maybe the ram rod ends if you're lucky. Nice barrels though, shame they've been used as a fencing tool. Nuggy
 
SkyPirate said:
hey I think I found the action for that barrel!

Your's is a a pinfire action ,this barrel was packed with powder and used a percussion cap for fire.

Woodland Detectors said:
What a great find! :hello2:
It makes you wonder how it ended up there.

Well, there was an 1800's homesite on top of the hill from where it was found. Finding this barrel just gave me another spot to hunt,lot's of glass and stoneware under the leaves where it layed.
must have been the trash site for the old house :dontknow:.

kuger said:
I like the one in your Avatar better H.B... :laughing7:One of my first finds was a shotgun barrel,makes ya wonder what the heck would happen to cause someone to completely abandon hope on salvging the weapon.I have found six long gun barrels,and three of them were used as pry bars

Bent or not ...I'll take it ;D
 
Nice old key and congrats on the LC HB. :thumbsup:
Moooooooooooooooooooooooo. :tongue3: :laughing9:
-Doug-
 
It was a very nice day and I really enjoyed it. The LC came at a good time, i was afraid you wasn't going to make a pre 1850's coin find and that doesn't normally happen to you. hopefully I can get us on some CW relics in our next hunt.

Bill
 
Still looking for the LC....but I'm gettin' closer, I just know it. :P :D Ya'll did good! Make sure and show the results of the little dog cleaned up! :icon_thumright:
Congrats on the finds~!
Nana :wink:
 
A double barrel, nice.. that's a relic you don't see :thumbsup: Im on board with Kuger, whyyyy do that to the barrel >:( :o
 
umrgolf said:
A double barrel, nice.. that's a relic you don't see :thumbsup: Im on board with Kuger, whyyyy do that to the barrel >:( :o THE MAN needed to get the fence up (pry bar) so he didnt lose his cows. :laughing7: willy
 
ModernMiner said:
Nice old key and congrats on the LC HB. :thumbsup:
Moooooooooooooooooooooooo. :tongue3: :laughing9:
-Doug-

Your an utter lover aren't you Doug!

Nana40 said:
Still looking for the LC....but I'm gettin' closer, I just know it. :P :D Ya'll did good! Make sure and show the results of the little dog cleaned up! :icon_thumright:
Congrats on the finds~!
Nana :wink:

Will do Nana, You will find a LC soner or later.

umrgolf said:
A double barrel, nice.. that's a relic you don't see :thumbsup: Im on board with Kuger, whyyyy do that to the barrel >:( :o

You gotta wonder, maybe to shoot around a corner :laughing9:
 
Outstanding finds!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Heck in all the years I've been detecting I ain't found a large cent much less a double barrel!



Sky Pilot
 
I got that one piece of a double barrel that didn't survive the electrolysis--it was eaten all to heck. Dug in Alabama this past summer. But your shotgun is actually in GREAT shape. It's nice to see one complete like that. Get 'er cleaned up soon.

Some sweet finds for you recently, H.B. Keep it up, you're on a roll.


-Buck
 
That Black Powder Shotgun barrel is a VERY NICE piece and in very good condition!!!! It will clean up very nice and look TERRIFIC over your relic shelf! That's a great find buddy; Congratulations! :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14: :headbang:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom