Double Silver Sunday! Xx 😆

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
No detecting yesterday as the rain did not let up all day 🙄……! So today we were as keen as mustard to get out!

now todays finds have lots of details… so go slow! 😂 xx First off a rather gorgeous complete button! then a little metal weight (?) next something tiny and strange.. will let you decide what it may be… then another fab button, and another, then what looks like a button, till you see the stalk on the back… patterNed piece next, another pretty button and tack pin, crotal bell and part of one, lead weight, squashed thimble, cutlery handle and 2 other bits, concave silver piece front and back (?) more buttons, 2 crusty Romans… will clean when dry…. And my star finds… a Roman Silver… not I’d yet… back is worn smooth, and finally a Charles 1st hammered penny 1625 xx

I say it every week but my goodness that was quite the day! Xx

Edit.. pics of cleaned crusty Romans added, can make out heads, and some writing… so will hand over to himself for an ID!!! xx

IMG_8148.jpeg
IMG_8149.jpeg
IMG_8150.jpeg
IMG_8151.jpeg
IMG_8152.jpeg
IMG_8153.jpeg
IMG_8154.jpeg
IMG_8155.jpeg
IMG_8156.jpeg
IMG_8157.jpeg
IMG_8159.jpeg
IMG_8160.jpeg
IMG_8161.jpeg
IMG_8162.jpeg
IMG_8163.jpeg
IMG_8164.jpeg
IMG_8158.jpeg
IMG_8165.jpeg
IMG_8166.jpeg
IMG_8167.jpeg
IMG_8168.jpeg
IMG_8143.jpeg
IMG_8144.jpeg
IMG_8145.jpeg
IMG_8146.jpeg
IMG_8119.jpeg
IMG_8113.jpeg
IMG_8112.jpeg
IMG_8195.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 31

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Whoo -Hooo!
Congrats!

Might be a seal in the mix. I'd get chastened for using it as a pipe tamper back when probably...

Your silvers are slightly worn... Time has a way of doing that to the used and well traveled, (On coins too.)

Heck of a lot of recoveries of oldies.
What wasn't molded into metals for decoration needed the non raised parts removed. Easier said than done. And when a steady hand is obvious , we have art.
Your cleaning with a toothpick can reveal flaws not caused from damage.
Why those flaws were left (where/if /when found) varied among cultures and guilds.
A favorite of mine (far away from your sites) deliberately leaving a small , often hard to notice flaw on a work so not to offend the "perfects"/Gods so to speak ; that created differently and that craftsperson's only mimick(ed) in part. So to remain humble enough to not offend.
A single deformed , damaged , or out of pattern , or color bead in a large piece of beadwork for example. Not an accident. Or cheap attitude. Or unnoticed by the creator(s).

Fun part is , if we did that with coins as an occupation, even if charged with a standard or quality attribute gauge ; each coin we left a different micro flaw on would in it's own right be unique and one of a kind. Making us creators of nonduplicative works if we don't get caught. By bosses , or more superior entities beyond.

Then there were likely just bad days in the world of production. And coins passed along that were not the best examples! But to weight anyways.
Your smooth backed might have been eligible for a trade in if the minting or control site still existed. It was getting to the easier to counterfeit stage. And by it's reduced weight , a gain of a coin could eventually be made if enough "worn" coins were forged from the right metal . Obtained from an investment of , legitimate coins?
L.o.l..

Please , accept my worn old coin as legit, It's the only one I have.
Note the holes in my matchcoat as I plead.
( Twenty more coins passed off and I'm gonna be rich!)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now would that be the rest of your pipe tamper.
You know the one that I I'D as a bloody winder. Lol
Congrats 👏 on your double silver day..
Lots to look at, will have a gander once on the big screen.
You deserve a foot rub for your digging day.

OP
OP
blossom

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
You know the one that I I'D as a bloody winder. Lol
Congrats 👏 on your double silver day..
Lots to look at, will have a gander once on the big screen.
You deserve a foot rub for your digging day.
Thanks Peps, Himself is a bit too miffed at my success to rub my feet! 🙄😂😂 Yes I forgot to write the pipe thingy… interestingly, that was a Charles the 1st pipe damper, and the Hammered is Charles the first! so that’s nice and tidy! xx

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No detecting yesterday as the rain did not let up all day 🙄……! So today we were as keen as mustard to get out!

now todays finds have lots of details… so go slow! 😂 xx First off a rather gorgeous complete button! then a little metal weight (?) next something tiny and strange.. will let you decide what it may be… then another fab button, and another, then what looks like a button, till you see the stalk on the back… patterNed piece next, another pretty button and tack pin, crotal bell and part of one, lead weight, squashed thimble, cutlery handle and 2 other bits, concave silver piece front and back (?) more buttons, 2 crusty Romans… will clean when dry…. And my star finds… a Roman Silver… not I’d yet… back is worn smooth, and finally a Charles 1st hammered penny 1625 xx

I say it every week but my goodness that was quite the day! Xx

View attachment 2095190 View attachment 2095191 View attachment 2095192 View attachment 2095193 View attachment 2095194 View attachment 2095195 View attachment 2095196 View attachment 2095197 View attachment 2095198 View attachment 2095199 View attachment 2095200 View attachment 2095201 View attachment 2095202 View attachment 2095203 View attachment 2095204 View attachment 2095205 View attachment 2095206 View attachment 2095207 View attachment 2095208 View attachment 2095209 View attachment 2095210 View attachment 2095211 View attachment 2095212 View attachment 2095213 View attachment 2095214 View attachment 2095215 View attachment 2095216 View attachment 2095217
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
blossom

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
OP
OP
blossom

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
After scouring his Roman Coin books.. Himself has come up with a possible
ID on the Roman… (NB…. He does his best…but has been known to be wrong)!!

If he is correct this would be our oldest Roman AD 69-79 😳 xx

Born
Titus Flavius Vespasianus
17 November 9 AD, Falacrinum, Italy

Vespasian was the founder of the Flavian dynasty which ruled the empire for 27 years. Although he held the consulship in 51 AD, Vespasian became more highly regarded as a successful military commander. He took part in the Roman invasion of Britain in 43 AD,

Invasion of Britannia
Upon the accession of Claudius as emperor in 41, Vespasian was appointed legate of Legio II Augusta, stationed in Germania, thanks to the influence of the Imperial freedman Narcissus. In 43, Vespasian and the II Augusta participated in the Roman invasion of Britain, and he distinguished himself under the overall command of Aulus Plautius. After participating in crucial early battles on the rivers Medway and Thames, he was sent to reduce the south west, penetrating through the modern counties of Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorset, Somerset, Devon and Cornwall with the probable objectives of securing the south coast ports and harbours along with the tin mines of Cornwall and the silver and lead mines of Somerset.

Vespasian marched from Noviomagus Reginorum (Chichester) to subdue the hostile Durotriges and Dumnonii tribes, and captured twenty oppida (towns, or more probably hill forts, including Hod Hill and Maiden Castle in Dorset). He also invaded Vectis (now the Isle of Wight), finally setting up a fortress and legionary headquarters at Isca Dumnoniorum (Exeter). During this time he injured himself and had not fully recovered until he went to Egypt. These successes earned him triumphal regalia (ornamenta triumphalia) on his return to Rome.

OP
OP
blossom

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Cleaned up the Romas… heads visible and some writing so id maybe possible… Himself will need to get his books and magnifying glass out!!! 😆 xx

IMG_8195.jpeg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, 17th C Seal Top Spoon Handle.

The 3rd picture looks Roman/Celtic, might be a Roman Military Buckle piece?!

The Roman Silver 'might' be Vespasian, but looks very 1st C AD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread