Double Under Current Sluice Idea

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys, last night I woke up with a idea. I've looked over the net and haven't found any info on this, maybe because it doesn't exist or doesn't work. Lets put our heads together and figure out the pro's and cons.

So what I'm thinking is a standard 4" dredge box is 16" wide. Without having to upgrade the pump to supply more water the logical step would be to make the box narrower, say 14"
Then for the lowest sluice section you would make it less then 1" tall and use 1/2" raised expanded.

The middle box you would make it about 1.5" tall or a little less and could use 3/4" raised expanded.

The top part would be standard to low profile riffles.

Logic says that fine gold recovery is achieved when the same sized material is ran together so each section would be classified via punch plate in stages. Say 1/2 top section, 5/16 or 3/8" and bottom section would be 3/16 or 1/8"

Anyone care to chime in on this?

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds brilliant. Brings a few different ideas to mind on how to get the separation to happen without shallowing the flow. Mainly a drop out style like the bazooka. first the fines/small gravels travel as low as possible anyway because they fill in the spaces that the large cant occupy so dropping those out would take a slightly longer punch than the second half inch. your box may need to be like 10 inches longer than usual to accommodate but I really think you are on to something...

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good idea! I considered the box having to be longer but that would open another can of worms that I wouldn't want to tackle right away. I have the other half of the .080 alum. sheet left so I might slowly start piecing it together. I will wait and see how my new box works... I have high hopes for it!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, been tried many times by many people and it doesn't work. Just a single over under classified 3/16 to 1/8" is all that is needed. Anything larger will catch up top. You just want the finest particles to have a place to drop into. This has been discussed many times over the years.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Convalution is not the solution and NEVER violate the first rule of mining. KISS Keep it simple stupid. I invented and marketed the over under sluice configuration(now industry wide standard) under the PESCO banner back in late 70-s early 80-s and your peeing n 'the wind--cools at first then stinks to high heaven-John

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well that's disappointing..... What about a single slick plate with three or four deep gold wells and different sizes of grating over it.... That would allow you to classify down to the sizes you want in series and with the benefits of the bazooka and follow up or pre-cede the wells with a few riffles to catch nuggies..... ??? Im an inventor and that honestly sounds like a good plan, I mean self classifying and concentrating. You could run ALL day without a cleanup and start and stop without worrying about blowouts. Im looking forward to hanging out with you OMNI. You seem like a wise cat.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to hold an inventor back from re inventing the wheel but that's how things get improved upon over time. Usually more by accident and trial and error than by original design though.

Cant tell you how many past designs of mine sounded good and looked good on paper but did not live up to expectations in the field.
(still haven't lived down the self classifying vibrating fluid bed gold pan on wheels idea) :tongue3:

I've since learned to wait until my ideas have been tested and proven to work before publishing them, which saves a little anguish in the long run, especially since I am reluctant to take anyone's word on whether something will work or not, (I usually have to see it for myself)

GG~

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GG I always say I must be from Missouri, the show me state!:tongue3: but I was born and raised in norcal.

Doit, btw my name is Roy and I am too a inventor, builder, tweeker and all around tinkerer. God it feels like a AA meeting...

Well being a double under current is out of the question, maybe I will instead re-focus my energy on perfecting the classifier for a dredge...

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kudos to you John! I'm speechless...............You invented the over/under...... I really hope you get royalties or got paid. Now I feel back for building this as I am a firm believer that if someone has a good product, they should get paid. Excuse my ignorance but who or what is PESCO? I BING'ed it and found many pesco's listed.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PESCO was my ol' company Prospectors Equipment and Service Company founded in OC calif in 76 or so ,I sold and retired outta mfg/retail/wholesale(resold 3 times-retooled and killed product line quality and function) as cut into mining time too much and as a single parent my kid was being criminalized in the OC by the Viet Cong kids so got him outta there to Auburn. Walked away from a cash cow but kid deserved better. Over/under--tri-jet pressure chambered flair jets--offset elliptical vibration for drywashers--suction nozzles with blasters attached on and on and LL no patents. Ifn' ya can't contribute you shouldn't exist, plain simple and easy. Great to see ALL as proven industry standards and good enough for me as 4 kids/educated raised and I got to mine my brains out so cooool-John

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

rebel003

Feb 17, 2011
Winston, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yes it will work, I built one using a 16" wide box using a p180 last year till it was stolen. my new one is a 18" wide using a 4x3 pump. here are some screen shots of the cad work. GP-193.JPG GP-193-2.JPG GP-193-4.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions