Dousing...really?...

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Mel Fisher really used dowsers?? Yes/No?

My brother and I went down to Mel's Museum in Key West and look at everything. We were there because of a contract on the Beale Treasure I had with him in 1989. We were looking to metal detect on the beach for coins from the 1715 fleet. Mel was just moving into Sebastian to open up a new museum and cleaning shop. Taffi, Mel's daughter was guarding everything with a double-barrel shotgun before security had been set-up. Mel handdrawed a map for us of where his recovery ship was off of the beach. I had my dowsing rods with me and decided to try it out. Off to the south of the recovery ship about fifty feet and about 800 feet from shore, I was dowsing either gold and silver. When my brother and I got ready to return home, Mel took us out for a drink of double rum and coke. After feeling light headed from consuming my first alcohol, I put an "X" on Mel's handdrawn map and told him there was either a large amount of gold or silver at that location. This was during Christmas week 1989. Within a few weeks, Mel Fisher sent me a book on sunken ships in the Caribbean and off the east coast of Florida. He autographed the book and said "Thanks Albert for all your help" enclosed was a newspaper article where they recovered a large treasure from the "X" location I had drawn on Mel Fisher's Map. They recovered over $1.3 Million Dollars in gold and yellow diamonds. I still have a copy of the autograph. I don't know if I have the book or sold it. The newspaper article is in all of my research but I have not seen it for over twenty years. But anyway that is one of my dowsing stories with Mel Fisher.
Man o man, I just LOVE reading stuff about Mel Fisher like this!! Anybody else have some stories to relate? thnx. ~darylluke.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I do but so far have never bothered to put it into a post. Mel's Dad was an inventor, reason why we now can own metal detectors. Once Mel was looking for investors, he contacted someone who won the "Golden Hammer Award" in Mechanics Illustrated. Many years later, the son showed me the old copy of Mechanics Illustrated with their invention. Now Mel Fisher stopped in the see them, chat for a while.

Turns out the son's Dad had learned from a friend about L-rods. Both were Native American from the Miami tribe, professional stage magicians who did shows not only in the US but in other countries as well.The son really wanted to invest, but his dad later talked him out of it.

Mel told a story of wearing a shipwreck coin or medal, not sure which one. According to Mel he almost got mugged while on a trip in the south. The person attempting to rob Mel grabbed the treasure piece he had around his neck, then let go because it looked like a religious medal and took off.

It's interesting, since the house was very old and being of the Miami tribe, there is a concealed cave entrance under the porch. The area has bedrock from a limestone deposit which runs through a couple counties. The cave once held sacred by the Indians, gifts were often left as offerings by them at this site. Mel Fisher would have no doubt, walked right over the entrance and probably never knew about it.

At the time of my visit, met another stage magician who stopped in to pick up some old magician stuff. The son still had several of the stage equipment used in their shows. Apparently these were going to a larger collection, probably a museum. On the wall of one room, I spotted an original Blackstone poster to promote a show. Asking about it, he said they often did shows along with other stage magicians.

As it must be mentioned here, his dad enjoyed dowsing with the L-rods so much. A pair went along on every trip, everywhere and to other countries. Not ever to be used as a magic trick or slight of hands, but to locate missing people, minerals, whatever people want you to find. I'm sure Mel Fisher was completely informed about dowsing before going on his way.

Last edited:

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Red, Thanks so much for that detailed story. VERY COOL STUFF!! It really is much better for all of us that so many simply do not believe dowsing actually works!! Mel Fisher profited handsomely from that fact! ~darylluke.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Indians in my area, were the ones who started the uprizing, that ended in the War of 1812. I live along the river once know as Miamis River. Interesting, I think I've found another heart rock (possibly another heart on a smaller heart carved over top) on our property. It was moved when the ground was excavated, before I helped my parents build the house we live in. So, don't know for sure where it had been originally, then the farmer used the field also. There are a lot of flint shards, once had been a village in the area, of Native Americans who met with Tecumseh in what is now a cornfield, down near Peru, Indiana. That is the limestone bedrock vicinity, not too far from and NE of the Miami sealed cave.

I noticed before my pink rock looked carved, but now looking closely, appears to be a heart. Took a lot of pics, different angles of view and dry, wet, is a pretty pinkish granite stone.

Attachments

• heart1.JPG
    heart1.JPG
    385.1 KB · Views: 124
  • heart2.JPG
    heart2.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 128
  • heart9.JPG
    heart9.JPG
    387.1 KB · Views: 129
  • heart3.JPG
    heart3.JPG
    563.7 KB · Views: 114
  • heart4.JPG
    heart4.JPG
    582.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on how you look at it, the carving on top of the heart, kind of reminds me sometimes of a flying bird or a little heart over a heart.

I'm located about a 25-30 minute drive east of the "Princess City" named after Tecumseh's brother's daughter (a Miami princess). I mention more info about it in this post.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/dowsing/353696-heart-rock.html#post3364542

Attachments

• heart8.JPG
    heart8.JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 114
  • heart7.JPG
    heart7.JPG
    478.5 KB · Views: 108
  • heart6.JPG
    heart6.JPG
    635.3 KB · Views: 114
  • heart5.JPG
    heart5.JPG
    344.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a the other heart carving, found in the front flower bed, is smaller on a blue-green variety of glaucophane which is a sodium amphibole rock. I posted a pic in the other thread, but these are closer better ones here.

Attachments

• heartcarving1LGcrop.jpg
    heartcarving1LGcrop.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 112
  • heartcarving1LG.jpg
    heartcarving1LG.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I was checking around the back side of a rock pile and found this.....it looks like a stalagmite. The smaller piece was already found when we moved here. My L-rods kept giving me signals a couple weeks ago, spot on the back of rock pile where I picked it up.

Attachments

• stalagmite1.jpg
    stalagmite1.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 90
  • stalagmite2.jpg
    stalagmite2.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 99
  • stalagmite3.jpg
    stalagmite3.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 117
  • stalagmite4.jpg
    stalagmite4.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 88
  • stalagmite5.jpg
    stalagmite5.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 111

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at photos of stalactites and stalagmites on the Internet. Stalagmites are on the bottom, thick like what I've found, looks as if both pieces could be from the same stalagmite.

What makes me happy to think, is that these Indians who lived in the village, might have brought the stalagmite back with them from the cave NAs held sacred (when meeting Tecumseh near Peru, IN).

Attachments

• stalagmite10.jpg
    stalagmite10.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 104
  • stalagmite9.jpg
    stalagmite9.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 116
  • stalagmite8.jpg
    stalagmite8.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 88
  • stalagmite7.jpg
    stalagmite7.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 101
  • stalagmite6.jpg
    stalagmite6.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another spot my dowsing rods were swinging at pointing, the top of this rock pile. In the photo, it would be right below the tree trunk. I found a rounded end serrated style flint knife. It is so sharp if not careful, you might accidentally cut yourself.

Attachments

• flintknife1.jpg
    flintknife1.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 114
  • flintknife2.jpg
    flintknife2.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 105
  • flintknife3.jpg
    flintknife3.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 119
  • flintknife4.jpg
    flintknife4.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 115
  • rockpile.jpg
    rockpile.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was glad the flint knife had not even a speck of damage on it.

Putting in a new garden section (after we moved here), you can see what the tiller did to this spear point. Another smaller broken point next to it.

Attachments

• brokenpoints5.jpg
    brokenpoints5.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 98
  • brokenpoints4.jpg
    brokenpoints4.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 90
  • brokenpoints3.jpg
    brokenpoints3.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 105
  • brokenpoints2.jpg
    brokenpoints2.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 95
  • brokenpoints1.jpg
    brokenpoints1.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 99

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a bow & arrow scraper once, in fairly good condition (it came from the same rock pile but near the far end). It looks nice on a book shelf sitting next to the flint knife found the other week. I've had this scraper a while, but is a sophisticated type for both arrows or bows.

All the rocks of course, were from our property when putting in the yard and garden areas. I need to check again with the dowsing rods, see if I've missed anything important.

Attachments

• bowscraper7.jpg
    bowscraper7.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 92
  • bowscraper5.jpg
    bowscraper5.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 95
  • bowscraper4.jpg
    bowscraper4.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 96
  • bowscraper3.jpg
    bowscraper3.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 110
  • bowscraper1.jpg
    bowscraper1.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found one more thing that looked like it might be something, about the same spot the bow scraper (above) came from. My rods were pointing there, so hoping this was it. The color of flint matches what looks just like a stone drill bit found once. I know it would break if used to drill through wood. Perhaps they used the bit for making a hole in a clay pot, using the little finger end with water to make the hole larger.

I'm hoping the piece found last week is a scraper used for clay pots. One edge is the reverse or opposite of the other (put both edges together in top left corner of a pic). Most everything else is a light color flint, so both are a different type flint rock.

Attachments

• clayscraper1.jpg
    clayscraper1.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 111
  • clayscraper2.jpg
    clayscraper2.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 103
  • clayscraper3.jpg
    clayscraper3.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 87
  • clayscraper4.jpg
    clayscraper4.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 113
  • clayscraper5.jpg
    clayscraper5.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 88

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back side of the scraper and close ups of the stone bit.

Attachments

• stonebit4.jpg
    stonebit4.jpg
    867.1 KB · Views: 102
  • stonebit3.jpg
    stonebit3.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 95
  • stonebit2.jpg
    stonebit2.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 89
  • stonebit1.jpg
    stonebit1.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 97
  • clayscraper6.jpg
    clayscraper6.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 81

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a third piece of this rare colored flint, already had this one. The color is a mix of blue which blends into reddish and amber flint. The bottom the color didn't photograph well, since the surface is flat very glossy smooth. Perhaps the 3 pieces were meant to be used together, the glossy smooth flat bottom edge might work for polishing sides clay pots while drying. Anyway, I kept this flint a few years ago, because the flat surface didn't look natural to me.

Attachments

• clayrub4.jpg
    clayrub4.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 88
  • clayrub3.jpg
    clayrub3.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 97
  • clayrub2.jpg
    clayrub2.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 94
  • clayrub1.jpg
    clayrub1.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 99

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, the pic showing the 2 edges compared in top left, seems to be missing. I'm only speculating on these, what they possibly could have been used for....any ideas?

The stone bit looks much to small for a seed drill. Found 2 holey stones that do appear to be shaped for either a hoe or seed drill. Both have one side worked down rather flat with a gentle slight curve to the tip. The largest of the pair, bottom is somewhat of a drill bit shape.

Then an obvious hoe, one side the entire surface is worked completely flat. I put the flat side agaist a wood door, edges touch perfectly all the way around. Opposite side has the slight curve towards the tip, same as the holey stones. Top thickness is 1/16" over 1/2" the bottom thickness is 1/6" under 1/2".

All 3 pieces are from the same type rock, the holes were formed naturally by water in streams.

Attachments

• clayscraper7.JPG
    clayscraper7.JPG
    507 KB · Views: 105
  • holeystones1.jpg
    holeystones1.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 99
  • holeystones2.jpg
    holeystones2.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 103
  • hoe1.jpg
    hoe1.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 104
  • hoe2.jpg
    hoe2.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at gun flints on the Internet, some styles of muzzle loader types, resemble the flat rectangular smooth bottom blue mixed with reddish and amber colored one.

Have other flint oddities I'm wondering about now.

(Edit-Last photo might be the broken off tip of a point.)

Attachments

• flintobject5.jpg
    flintobject5.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 94
  • flintobject4.jpg
    flintobject4.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 88
  • flintobject3.jpg
    flintobject3.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 91
  • flintobject2.jpg
    flintobject2.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 84
  • flintobject1.jpg
    flintobject1.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently, there are many styles of gun flints. I think I've found a couple similar on the Internet. These 2 pics are to compare with what I've found above.

I'm adding a flint at first thought was a gun flint, but close up pics show signs of being carved. Perhaps the Indians carved up a gun flint.

Attachments

• gunflintscrop1.jpg
    gunflintscrop1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 92
  • gunflintscrop2.jpg
    gunflintscrop2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 93
  • gunflint1.jpg
    gunflint1.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 99
  • gunflint2.jpg
    gunflint2.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 99
  • indianflint.jpg
    indianflint.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prefer my metal detectors but yea dowsing works.The power company i worked for had the company that we just bought around 50 new altec aa600's from come in and give a week long course for us mechanics on the units..Well when i brought up that i metal detect he asked did we have any brass brazing rods,and yes we did..He bent the into L shape and proceeded to find coins we would hide under sheets of card board,i said b.s and he handed them to me,well it worked every time..I had no idea where they were hid but found them everytime..I still like my metal detectors better,they make noise and have icons to look at..:notworthy:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I prefer my metal detectors but yea dowsing works.The power company i worked for had the coaround 50 new altec aa600's from come in and give a week long course for us mechanics on the units..Well when i brought up that i metal detect he asked did we have any brass brazing rods,and yes we did..He bent the into L shape and proceeded to find coins we would hide under sheets of card board,i said b.s and he handed them to me,well it worked every time..I had no idea where they were hid but found them everytime..I still like my metal detectors better,they make noise and have icons to look at..mpany that we just bought
There are a lot of people that have learned the truth in that manner....what tools you use is your own business....Art

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a metal detector, but in the back area, you can walk with the detector for 30 feet and not get a single beep. There are a few iron pieces to find, not too exciting, even those can be far and few between. I used to like the beeps, now wish they had a button to a silent mode. If I'm going to take along a metal detector, to check dowsed signals (especially a public place), it would be nice to have a silent mode. You can't dowse while holding a detector, so lay it down nearby. This means headphones will be a hassel, since you're going to pick up the detector and lay it down again. In a public place the beeps would annoy people. I was going to try putting an adapter jack (without the headphones), see how that works, didn't get around to it yet.

All that is needed if checking with a detector, the icons and target id.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread