Dowsing in the vertical plane

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites: Surf, Eagle II SL, GMT.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This sumer I had the occasion to visit Colorado and pulled out my rods one afternoon to try gold dowsing along a Mt. road. A strong signal took me straight to a narrow quartz vein in the steep rock face on the side of the road. There were others like it all thru the rock but only this one drew me to it. Once there I had no idea how to know where in this vertical vein the target was. I'm going back this summer with a gold specific metal detector but I'm still curious as to how I could locate the source of this 'hit' in the vertical wall since I can't walk 'up' it and look for a crossing signal. Any ideas?

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your instrument (rod, pendulum) reacted to the closest gold target to you.
Each instrument has it's own horizontal range (distance) and vertical range. (depth)
Your target does not have to be underneath you to get a dowsing reaction.
Dowsers frequently pick up targets in abandoned houses on the 2nd floor while standing on the main floor.
Hope this helps,
Jon

OP
OP
sparkydog

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites: Surf, Eagle II SL, GMT.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your response. The elaboration about the 2nd floor of a house is interesting but I'm still left wondering, "how do I know where between the ground and the top of this 12 foot verical vein is my target"? For that matter, I guess it could be in the part of the vein below ground since I can't walk any further after encountering the rock wall. Is there a method to find the target with rods or is this where I pull out the minelab?

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some suggestions on how to handle this.
1) Using information dowsing ask how far up from the ground the top of the vein is.
Stand at the wall at the quartz location. Leave enough room for your instruments to move freely.
Ask at 1 foot increments until you get a yes answer from your instruments.
An example question would be: Is the top of the gold vein at least 3 feet above the ground?
Let's say the instrument says "no", then ask again is it 4 feet? no, 5 feet? yes. Now you know the approx. distance to the top of the vein.
2) This is not as accurate as #1 but something you may want to try.
You can walk perpendicular very slowly from or to the wall where the quartz is that your instrument pointed out to you, thinking about the distance from the ground to the top of the gold vein. Just dwell on "distance from the ground" in your mind but don't ask for specific numbers as you did in example #1.
When you get your "yes" answer, the distance from there to the base of the wall is the approximate distance to the top of the vein from the ground at the base of the wall. If you choose to walk towards the wall, then start your walk further than 12 feet away, I'd go at least 15 feet away and walk slowly towards the wall. Let's say you get a "no" answer until you get about 5 feet away from the wall, then you know the top of the vein is roughly 5 feet up from the ground at the base of the wall.
3) Is there a way to get above the vein? If so, then use information dowsing again to determine the depth from where you are standing. Just phrase the question as: Is the top of the gold vein at least 5 feet below the ground? no, 7 feet? no, 10 feet? yes. Now you know how deep to go to get to the top of the vein.
4) You may also use information dowsing to find out how far the gold is from the face of the wall into the rock.
Just change the phrasing of your question: Is the gold at least 3 feet from the face of this wall?, ect.
Hope this helps,
Jon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread