Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wood pendulums on coat button type of thread....I've used them years ago. They are light action, while a heavy metal pendulum on a string gives a lot of swinging action. Chains are tricky, but you can learn to use them.

Wooden pendulums, I always would cut a piece of tree branch, let it dry out in a shed for at least a couple weeks. Hack saw works best to cut, then whittle with a pocket knife. Put a point one end, rounded the other with a small hole to glue in a string. Give a better shape using sand paper and add your string.

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
When I am using a pendulum on a string I have to always remember not to touch the pendulum with my left hand. If do it will not give me good answers.
P4070006.JPG

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
So please feel free to speak to me like I am total moron; I will not mind at all, just want to know what it is you guys are doing.
We hold a pendulum or the object of our choice over a map and ask questions.

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Just out of curiosity if I where to post a map of an area for metal detecting could someone tell me where to hunt?

What would you need to know of the area, would you need to know what country it is in?

I am just asking because I would like to give it a shot.

Thanks again folks for your replies, I find this interesting; yet at the same time I feel it is something that one must have a knack for with many years or proven discipline.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Just out of curiosity if I where to post a map of an area for metal detecting could someone tell me where to hunt?
I normally don’t do that but lots of the other map dowsers on here do
What would you need to know of the area, would you need to know what country it is in?
No
I am just asking because I would like to give it a shot.
Please do that

Thanks again folks for your replies, I find this interesting; yet at the same time I feel it is something that one must have a knack for with many years or proven discipline
Yes it takes a lot of time and a lot of practice...Art

widomanmx

Banned
Dec 6, 2013
Chihuahua (mx)
Detector(s) used
Gemini 3
Deepers
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Something to try.
A metallic pendulum attached by a wire will take on the charge of the hand it is being held by. A pendulum held by a nonconductive string will take on the charge of the last hand which held the pendulum. The pendulum when rotating above an object of a similar charge will continue to rotate and eventually swing back and forth perpendicular to the object. This pendulum when rotating above an object of the opposite charge will start to swing back and forth parallel to the object being dowsed. Caution here when dowsing an object you have touched the object will usually take on the charge of the last hand that touched it. This can be demonstrated by dowsing over an object such as a table knife depending on which hand touched the knife last an opposite reaction of the dowsing device will be seen.

If you use witness: Clean Pendulum before use it
..i did not believe it, but after hit many fake spots now i do and get better results
..a big lesson for a rookie :BangHead:

To this i add: Also clean the witness

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to try.
A metallic pendulum attached by a wire will take on the charge of the hand it is being held by. A pendulum held by a nonconductive string will take on the charge of the last hand which held the pendulum. The pendulum when rotating above an object of a similar charge will continue to rotate and eventually swing back and forth perpendicular to the object. This pendulum when rotating above an object of the opposite charge will start to swing back and forth parallel to the object being dowsed. Caution here when dowsing an object you have touched the object will usually take on the charge of the last hand that touched it. This can be demonstrated by dowsing over an object such as a table knife depending on which hand touched the knife last an opposite reaction of the dowsing device will be seen.

Here is a picture of my three Pendulums and, Aart, I find that the wooden one with cotton thread responds much faster than the stone and chain or the lead sinker and wire.
Thanks to you and Red Desert for posting on this subject.
Marvin

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, wood Y-branch works for many water dowsers, makes sense to use a wooden pendulum also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread