Draped Bust Large Cent +King George II Colonial Copper

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
CKK was out at it again for another Sunday detect fest. We revisited a spot that treated us well in the not too distant past. This spot is a little woodsy so it is a bit different than we are used to. 10 minutes into the hunt I got my usual Copper Vision reading which turned out to be the Draped Bust 180?. About an hour and a half later the cast counterfeit KG II appeared. It was 37 VDI so I thought it would be another bullet shell. It was in the same area as a couple of square nails so I was pleasantly surprised to see it. Spoon part and a couple of shot musket balls were my colonial relics for the day. I also found a late 1800's suspender clip which is included in the pic.This is the first Dr. bust largie for the year. Strange considering I had about 15 this time last year. We also each found at least 1 deer tick on ourselves. I remember not too long ago when they simply weren't in our woods. I pine for the days. 32 Coppers for the year for me. 2 short of my last years total. Keeping my fingers crossed. :thumbsup:
Chris

Attachments

• PIC00001.jpg
    PIC00001.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 452
  • PIC00007.jpg
    PIC00007.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 438
  • PIC00003.jpg
    PIC00003.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 418
  • PIC00009.jpg
    PIC00009.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 414
  • PIC00006.jpg
    PIC00006.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 417
Upvote 0

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
very very cool coins Chris , you are the man :notworthy: . woods detecting is a little different but its where you'll find those whole shoe buckles my friend . congrats on the coins and best of luck to ya next hunt.

Dan

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool coins. Hope you are able to make out the last digit on the Draped Bust. Congrats. :icon_thumright:

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! :thumbsup: I wish I could have got out to find some nice coopers. Like leddel said thats where you get them nice shoe buckles. Good luck on your next hunt.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
very respectable coins!!

it's funny how some years you nail a bunch of coins, and the next it's hard to make change for a nickel!

either way, gives you something to shoot for in the coming seasons knowing you haven't cleaned out all the ole coppers yet! here's hoping you can maybe get a couple more before it's a done deal on 2009

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet copper day in the woods of PA. :hello2: You should tumble that King George. I have a feeling it will bring more detail out. :icon_thumleft: You forgot to mention that KKC is now at 80 coppers for the year. :headbang:

We must get on a new site for next week. :headbang:

Kirk

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good... all except for the tick! Would have liked to see what the Georgie looked like back in the day... but what can you do.

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Kirk PA said:
Sweet copper day in the woods of PA. :hello2: You should tumble that King George. I have a feeling it will bring more detail out. :icon_thumleft: You forgot to mention that KKC is now at 80 coppers for the year. :headbang:

We must get on a new site for next week. :headbang:

Kirk
Yeah Kirk I just told Kyle that I forgot to mention the 80 coppers for CKK. Thanks for the reminder.
Unc C

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Unc, you were a magnet today for sure. I still believe that the Georgie is a cast counterfeit, even though it may not look like it. Something in my Colonial bones tells me that. :icon_sunny:

We must get into a new site in the area I was telling you about. A "Permission Mission" is a must...it is a must! :read2:

Nephew

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going Chris, two more for the year, another terrific year for you. Glad to see Kyle's "modern" coins are in pretty good condition for nickels, kudos to him for his first shield, think I only got one, maybe two, not sure LOL.

As far as Cast counterfeit, well, KGII are more likely to be a cast counterfeit if they are a counterfeit than a KGIII copper, so good chance, I cannot tell from the photo, also not very good at determing cast thru photos, but IP is better I think at that......

Ticks, I was talking to Byron W from the Penn State area and he said his area is bad this year for ticks, as he was getting ready for opening day tomorrow, bang bang. :)

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Nice going Chris, two more for the year, another terrific year for you. Glad to see Kyle's "modern" coins are in pretty good condition for nickels, kudos to him for his first shield, think I only got one, maybe two, not sure LOL.

As far as Cast counterfeit, well, KGII are more likely to be a cast counterfeit if they are a counterfeit than a KGIII copper, so good chance, I cannot tell from the photo, also not very good at determing cast thru photos, but IP is better I think at that......

Ticks, I was talking to Byron W from the Penn State area and he said his area is bad this year for ticks, as he was getting ready for opening day tomorrow, bang bang. :)

Don

Yep, British George II is much more common to be cast. I wonder how the Irish numbers stack up, have seen cast for both.

Being George II, poor condition, and out of round, I think there's a good chance it's probably cast.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris,
I know squat about Colonial coins, but I can tell you this..........
nice spoon part. ;D :icon_thumleft:
Congrats on the super year KKC CKK is having.
Let me know if you need me to come up there to show you how to dig an LC. :laughing9:
-Doug-

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Chris,
I know squat about Colonial coins, but I can tell you this..........
nice spoon part. ;D :icon_thumleft:
Congrats on the super year KKC CKK is having.
Let me know if you need me to come up there to show you how to dig an LC. :laughing9:
-Doug-

It's amazing he can still get over some old coppers pulling such heavy coat tails. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread