DREDGE COMBO HAS NO SUCTION - ANY IDEAS ?

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
A picture of your dredge setup and suction line would tell it all ! Sounds like you have NOT kept your venturi under water ! your NOT picking up your suction from your nozzle if your venturi is NOT under water ! And while your at it , check to see that your suction line doesn't have a rock stuck in it .

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
all said............... BUT check it out for yourself to see if the venturi wasn't COMPLETELY UNDER WATER. otherwise it won't suck water ! believe me on this ! to me this is your most probable source of no suction .

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
Got a screen on intake? Are the holes reduced in size from clay? Did you ding the venturi and its not aimed into outlet?

Darth Placer

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check the orifice (where the pressure enters the main dredge hose). I had a rock in mine once and took me some time to figure out. The rock got in there when taking the dredge down for the day. Just shine a flashlight down in there. If its a curved pressure tube run wire or weedeater line in there to make sure there isn't any unseen obstruction.

OP
OP
B

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Buckshotnc have you had a chance to get your rig out to check it out yet ??
Yes, actually hooked a stronger water pump to It and it worked a little better but not strong enough to move any size rocks just mostly sand. Still a mystery and I’ve had another Dredger look at it and he couldn’t figure it out. All lines appear to be clear. But thanks for all the helpful ideas.

HeavyMetalThunder

Aug 5, 2015
Texas/Colorado/Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One scenario (15 yrs. working oil & gas fields) that I've seen a few times, was interior ply delamination with multi ply hoses...once fluid starts moving through the hose it gets into the delamination void, then balloons/ swells the very interior ply inwards causing a restriction or even a complete blockage...then with no flow of fluid the ply's natural memory makes it resume its wall shape and will look like a normal good hose.

HeavyMetalThunder

Aug 5, 2015
Texas/Colorado/Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the off chance there is Interior delamination of a multi ply hose, there's a chance the delamination could be directional...

If so, then there's a chance that end for ending the hose (making the hose flow opposite of it's current flow direction) just might mitigate the ballooning... and hence a better flow rate might/should show...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions