Dredge conversion from jet flare to crash box...

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am looking a purchasing my first dredge. I have done a bit of research, and for the type and depth of dredging I will be doing, a crash box is the better solution. The dredge pictured below is typical of what you see up here, and I really like it, but I need to know what you all think about difficulty in switching from flare to crash? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420121926.672158.jpg
Thanks for any and all advice!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care who,what or where a crash box is NOT what ya need to get ALL the gold. In dayz of old there were no blaster nozzles to dissolve mud clods,impacted gravels,hardpan and and clean them crevices clean as a new whistle. NOW you get double the production,twice the retention with a blaster,over/under classification and a nice flair with a huge flapper to spread out the gravels/flow,deaireate and reduce turbulence,all which cost you gold. Going back to the early 80s will NOT make you a happier wealthier miner BUT your cash,your party,just tell friends where you dredge old school so someone can go get it easily-John

OP
OP
425jesse

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let me restate, as I truly respect your opinion HJ, and hoped you would respond. The need for a crash in my situation has more to do with long arming in some shallow spots, and as I understand, jet flare will blow out pretty bad if any air is sucked up into the dredge. That is my only reason for wanting the crash box. Have I misunderstood that concept? When I heard air will blow out the gold in your sluice, I assumed crash was the right way to go. Please advise:)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me restate, as I truly respect your opinion HJ, and hoped you would respond. The need for a crash in my situation has more to do with long arming in some shallow spots, and as I understand, jet flare will blow out pretty bad if any air is sucked up into the dredge. That is my only reason for wanting the crash box. Have I misunderstood that concept? When I heard air will blow out the gold in your sluice, I assumed crash was the right way to go. Please advise:)

Yes, you are misunderstanding. If you are going to be working shallow and worry about sucking air, then you need a suction nozzle which has the pressure line feeding it, (as opposed to powerjet and a plain suction hose and straight tip.) Then that feeds into the flair and into the box.

OP
OP
425jesse

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I got it. Thank you both. Next question, anyone care to advise on the pictured dredge? It's for sale not too far from me.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420124445.095763.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420124459.580246.jpg

OP
OP
425jesse

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
4" $2000.

OP
OP
425jesse

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What are your thoughts doug? For places like summer on the raging, maybe blewett pass, sultan basin...while in season of course.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4" $2000.

I don;t know if I'd lay out $2K for that, it's somebody's franken-dredge. The floats look too small for a 4" (like they are meant for a mini-4"), the frame is homemade, the box is likely homemade, and I'm not sure who made the dual jet-log. It looks professional but I'm not a fan of reducing and splitting the pump output like that. Although that would be a moot point if you are going to use a suction nozzle.

I'm not saying it's a bad dredge. If the maker knows how to weld and did extensive testing, it could be a great unit. But I've seen a lot of people welding who don't know what they are doing and their work falls apart very fast.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have the same exact frame on my 2 1/2" puddle pumper,but 3.5 hp engine. Jet??? Box looks like a Spartan dredge box?? Had a Dahlke with a flaired out box also from the late 80's. $2k.....no way Jose,$1k mo' better as you'll need sidefloats to keep from submarining and jet is a total unknown sooooooo. Lotza Luck-John

OP
OP
425jesse

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks to all you for your advice. I will be staying away from that dredge. I would really like a 3" I think due to limited space for transport. Happy New Years all!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread