Oct 21, 2009
Dawsonville, GA USA
Upvote 0

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
AV8R said:
Who makes the pumps that Keene and Proline use on their dredges? I'm gathering parts/pieces to build a dredge, but cannot find a source for the just the pump. I need a pump that's directly mounted to a Honda or B&S engine, or I can do a lovejoy connection.

Oh, and Hello from Dawsonville, Georgia! :hello:

I have been down this very same path before I bought my dredge. I was looking at building my own dredge just like you and I even tried to research into who the actual pump manufacture is, but unfortunately that is a dead end my friend, the pumps don't have any manufacture name or marks, and the dredge makers sure aren't talking either, this is how they corner the market and force people to buy their products, they certainly don't want you to go off and make one cheaper/better.

Just hold out, and you can find a whole dredge for sale on the cheap,best place to look is on Craigslist. Or you can shop around and find it part by part as they become available.

One other thing, I don't know what size dredge you have in mind, but through personal experience and talking with many other dredgers on the river, you will be the happiest with a 4 or 5 inch dredge. Both are volume producers, and can be operated by one person, if you go to a 6 inch, you'll need that second person to help lug it around (I only know of one guy who operates a 6 inch alone and he's quite a bit more stout than most), if you go to a 3 inch or smaller, you will soon feel very under-equipped and you'll suffer from gold-envy when you compare your concentrates with other people's who have been dredging with the 4+ class dredges.

I operate a Keene 4 inch Ultra Mini. Runs good volume, has excellent recovery and it small/light enough to drag up to any part of the river, from exposed bedrock to deeper with moderately swift water.

OP
OP
AV8R

AV8R

Greenie
Oct 21, 2009
Dawsonville, GA USA
Thanks, Cap'n! I'm with ya on the 4 or 5 inch dredges. Out of the three WEGM claims, there are only a couple creeks where a 4 or 5 inch would be too big. But, I want something for those tight spots, too.

Realize that I'm a greenhorn, but I learn quick and have put more time into studying stream and river hydraulics than mining equipment at this point. I'd hate to have to buy a new engine/pump combo for near a grand when I can get a used engine for little to nothing and scout for a pump. I've learned enough already to know that the pump I need is the pump that I can't find.

But, I did find some deals on used dredges around here and NC.

:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3: no No NO way---There is no secret industrial sneaky giant who makes pumps. They all have their own specific designs, specs, exacting differences, compositions of metal, differing surface finishing methods and on and on and on. Each and every company has their own molds and folks they utilize for the casting . Talk about UNGODLY EXPENSIVE molds and required essentials make it excessively cost prohibitative to do a start up. Under the PESCO name in the 80-90 we sold many 10' of 1,000's of dredges/highbankers and used KEENE PUMPS EXCLUSIVELY due to a 1/4 mil to make molds for casting and another 1/4 mil or so for related lathes,centerless grinders, tumblers,polishers and again on and on and on. John

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you are looking for is a fire service type pump with a rotary-vane design.

I have tried to find them also, but the manufacturers won't deal with you unless you are a company and prepared to order large numbers.

I think the ones you linked to would be about the best you could find for the money.

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a catalog 800-488-3407 Surplus Center Lincoln, Nebraska
www.surpluscenter.com

Under Pulleys & Couplers -- check out 2 piece shaft couplers - NOTE: have to order correct insert between couplers (at end of listing)
they carry multiple shaft sizes for direct drive.
Also have bearings, shafts, pulleys, shaft collars.

<<< Long Time Ago Prices -- Just For Comparison -- Check Website For Accurate Information>>>
Water pumps -- 30 Gallon Per Minute to 190 GPM (Range From $250 to $500) -- watch shipping weight and truck freight charges though (30 to 60 Lbs). Higher price & Lower Weight for High-pressure piston pumps 1 to 3.5 GPM.
item 2-1234 (($99.50)) JABSCO 1673-001 5 GPM 20 PSI 6 Lbs.
item 2-1252 (($59.99)) SHERWOOD GP8002 8 GPM 5 Lbs. ?? on Pressure (Onan Engine Cooling Pump)

By the way check into using small (3.5 Hp to 5 Hp) Gas motor with washing machine pump. Those things are pretty much standard and rugged (have to be submerged or gravity fed). ($35 to $60 new -- may be able to get one to try out concept from used appliance store or strip one off old washing-machine/dish-washer somewhere).

Check Small Gas Engine Water Pump Harbor Freight $100 on sale. Probably the best buy overall.

:coffee2:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuttn' but a junk tinkertoy pump,I bought one for $50 new and it is purt' near worthless and NEVER will run any dredge. I'll let ya use it for FREE ifn' ya want to-John

Svverwter

Greenie
Jul 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I*read*I really liked it.*Thank you for*your information!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread