What's new

Drills II

Bow Only

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2016
Messages
254
Reaction score
485
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upon close examination, the fracture lines on these drills from NW FL and central GA indicate that they weren't used as drills. They're actually cutting implements and only a couple were used in some form of drilling, graving, or punching. This may be the reason that so many of them are found broken. This case is from over 30 years of personal finds and is an older picture. I've added about 10 more since this pic was taken.
 

Attachments

  • drills 1.webp
    drills 1.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 149
Upvote 0
Ive found very few whole ones all pencil drill types. Nice frame
 
Nice collection of drills you have assembled there. I have also thought that what we refer to as drills were actually used as cutting tools and continually resharpened until they took on the drill form and then finally broke because they became to weak to support the forces required to cut.
 
I have been saying this for years. I would be willing to bet that 60% or more of what everyone calls a Drill was never actually utilized as an actual Drill. I have only a few that actually show polish from being used to drill with. Most of what I have the people would call Drills have very sharp edge like a Knife and I think they were either exhausted Knives or a specialized Tool with a certain purpose.

These pics show some that show no evidence or ever being used as a Drill and a few that show obvious polish from being used to drill holes.
 

Attachments

  • Blades and Points (22).webp
    Blades and Points (22).webp
    95.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Drills (6).webp
    Drills (6).webp
    110.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Pics-357.webp
    Pics-357.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Drills.webp
    Drills.webp
    103 KB · Views: 107
  • Drills (1).webp
    Drills (1).webp
    120.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Drills (3).webp
    Drills (3).webp
    85.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Drills (4).webp
    Drills (4).webp
    79.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Pics-268.webp
    Pics-268.webp
    29.5 KB · Views: 103
I'm glad I'm not the only one that realizes that most "drills" are resharpened wore out knives. Much like "stunners" or arrowheads being made by dripping water on stone...I wonder what people are thinking sometimes.
 
That's an impressive collection of "drills" you've got there. :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom