Drinking water

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting - I'd never heard of this. Good post!

OP
OP
gusser

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Used in Africa in some places. SODIS could really help in 3rd world nations that need clean water supplies. I have used it and never got sick.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I carry made up straws of bleach. You can add two teaspoons in a gallon of water, shake it and let sit for 30 minutes, the you are safe to drink. I use soda straws. Take a soda straw, crimp one end with needle nose pliers, heat with a lighter or match to seal. Fill with whatever ingredients you desire and cut to length. Crimp and seal the other end. Makes a water tight and air tight seal that is easy to carry and requires little space. I also carry hydrogen peroxide, salt, pepper, honey, alcohol, onion powder, garlic powder, aspirin, and I also stove my garden seeds in them. You can also store matches, cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly, or anything else you can get into them. There are several sizes of soda straws to accommodate most small items. For larger items, you can use the soda straws that contain powder(pixie straws), that children like to eat. Altoid cans also make great containers for carrying items in small containers. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
gusser

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry made up straws of bleach. You can add two teaspoons in a gallon of water, shake it and let sit for 30 minutes, the you are safe to drink. I use soda straws. Take a soda straw, crimp one end with needle nose pliers, heat with a lighter or match to seal. Fill with whatever ingredients you desire and cut to length. Crimp and seal the other end. Makes a water tight and air tight seal that is easy to carry and requires little space. I also carry hydrogen peroxide, salt, pepper, honey, alcohol, onion powder, garlic powder, aspirin, and I also stove my garden seeds in them. You can also store matches, cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly, or anything else you can get into them. There are several sizes of soda straws to accommodate most small items. For larger items, you can use the soda straws that contain powder(pixie straws), that children like to eat. Altoid cans also make great containers for carrying items in small containers. Good Luck. rockhound

Straws used this way make good "speed loaders" for .22 tube fed magazines.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Yes and for air gun pellets and BB's too. I also carry a made up fishing kit in a couple, line, hooks and sinkers. The hooks need to be size 10 or 8, maybe six. The splitshot need to be BB size. The line can be folded up to whatever length you may need. When most .22 ammo runs out, I can still hunt with my air rifle, and not make much noise either. They work wonderful for small game species like squirrels, rabbits, grouse, quail, pigeons, doves and even raccoon, opossum and ground hog, all of which can make a tasty meal if prepared right. They are also using the magnum springer or nitro piston air rifles, especially .25 caliber, to bring down good sized hogs and coyotes at close ranges, under 40 yards. All larger animals require head shots, which should be no problem as air rifles are extremely accurate. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
gusser

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes and for air gun pellets and BB's too. I also carry a made up fishing kit in a couple, line, hooks and sinkers. The hooks need to be size 10 or 8, maybe six. The splitshot need to be BB size. The line can be folded up to whatever length you may need. When most .22 ammo runs out, I can still hunt with my air rifle, and not make much noise either. They work wonderful for small game species like squirrels, rabbits, grouse, quail, pigeons, doves and even raccoon, opossum and ground hog, all of which can make a tasty meal if prepared right. They are also using the magnum springer or nitro piston air rifles, especially .25 caliber, to bring down good sized hogs and coyotes at close ranges, under 40 yards. All larger animals require head shots, which should be no problem as air rifles are extremely accurate. Good Luck. rockhound

You can also add power to an air gun by using a drop or 2 of oil behind the pellet. Dieseling the pellet.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Straws used this way make good "speed loaders" for .22 tube fed magazines.

"Dirty" water in a bottle or some other containers can if energy can be afforded,swung in a circle on a tether to use centrifugal force to reduce sediment ,reducing filtering time and effort. Some sizes of broken or unusable aluminum arrows can become speed loaders also, plugs or covers other than clips can be used of course, its makin do.:) Some external feed tubes can be rotated slightly as a modification to allow laying rounds between barrel and feed tube during magazine loading rather than dropping them as easy.http://www.nylonrifles.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/IMG_0368.jpg
http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/9451/speedloader3.jpg

Debris shelters are worth learning how to build. A child and I built one that lasted a couple years,through snows of winter even. Worth noting also is board type siding or shingling. Cover bottom rows first and then upwards by overlapped row to repel water with many different materials.Some if reasonably clean can help collect rainwater or even be mopped for dew at times. Many disaster areas have more material than knowledge. A stove and fuel to burn can often be fabricated as well as a smoke stack if heat is an issue though a person on fire watch and ventilation for air to be burned should be part of burning fuel indoors in crude shelters with rough stoves. If the oscillating rotatory device became splattered someone should be on watch anyway.

Last edited:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I used an old pill bottle(small), to make a water filter. You start by drilling or punching small holes in the bottom of the bottle. Next place a cloth in the bottom, then sand, then rice, then peas gravel on top. Use a plastic bottle lid that will fit tight into the bottle inverted, with the center cut out. Then screw the lid back onto the pill bottle. When using, just unscrew the lid and add dirty water. It will filter down through the bottle and exit the bottom, hopefully clear. This is not a purifier, just a filter. You can make several and put in your backpack. When used up, you can salvage the rice and boil and eat it. Also they now make air rifles(PCP) that are up to .50 caliber and will bring down any North American animal. They are not cheap and you have to carry a high pressure pump, but ammo is much cheaper than cartridge ammo. Good Luck. rockhound

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting.....it doesn't seem right, but if you are in an emergency situation it's good to know.:thumbsup:

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never herd of SODIS before I will check that out on google. Lots of other great tips here too. Thanks a bunch.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info here if you lose access to water at home. Get prepared now, BEFORE you need it, is the most important message. Your friends may think you're being silly but it's your place they will be trying to get to if they need help. Very few know of our preps and I'm not worried about anyone on this site. If any of you can find me and actually get to me, things aren't that bad. :)
CDC - Personal Preparation and Storage of Safe Water - Safe Drinking Water - Water-related Emergencies and Outbreaks - Healthy Water

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Very good advice. I have a 24 foot round pol out back and it is probably as clean as my tap water. With over 15,000 gallons of water at my disposal, I won't be visiting the creek nearby, where everyone else will be lined up to get water. Good luck. rockhound

OP
OP
gusser

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 1 acre spring fed bass pond. Supplies fish and enough water to go forever. Prepping and teaching bushcraft to others is my 2nd hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread