Dug my first 1788 Massachusettes One Cent coin!

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, winter is upon us here in New England. Yesterday was an unusually warm day for December, the ground unfrozen for a brief moment. I seized this opportunity to get perhaps my last day of detecting in this year. I am fortunate to live on what was an old farm in the early 1800s, so whenever I don't have time to travel to a permission I simply step outside and search our amazing property for coins and relics.

I was out maybe 20 minutes when I hit upon an excellent sounding 46 on the Legend. I dug and flipped the plug over to find what appeared to be an old washer. I examined it, and almost through it away, as no design was readily discernable. However, I decided to review more closely, given that I have made mistakes in the past discarding what turned out to be facinating finds.
As I scrapped the dirt away from the surface, I noticed what looked like arabic numerals. Upon further investigation, I saw clearly that there were arrows clutched in the claw of an eagle. I knew right away I found an early coin. With a little help from my flashlight, I could read the date: 1788! Turns out I found a 1788 Massachusetts One Cent coin with a hole in the middle.

Sadlly, this coin, like so many coppers that we dig, was pretty well toasted. I gently cleaned with peroxide and Qtips, as well some distilled water and called it a day. The eagle and date turned out quite legible, but the obverse sadly is quite far gone. This is the oldest coin I have found to date, and by far the best I have found on my property. Despite its rough shape, I would say this is not a bad way to end the season!

Attachments

• 1000006482.jpg
    1000006482.jpg
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20231202_170158.jpg
    20231202_170158.jpg
    940.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 20231202_172309.jpg
    20231202_172309.jpg
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20231202_162315.jpg
    20231202_162315.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
Upvote 37

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the copper!
Digging something 235 yrs old out of back yard basically is a winning day in my world. (I only wish)
Almost tossed it? What never a green disk with a hole-repurposed coinage rocks.
Getting anything as Wizzer/washer/button/counterstamped is a great day.

My property only dates back to the 1820s and it's really hard to break into the 1700's in my whole area.

OP
OP
Fugio

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the copper!
Digging something 235 yrs old out of back yard basically is a winning day in my world. (I only wish)
Almost tossed it? What never a green disk with a hole-repurposed coinage rocks.
Getting anything as Wizzer/washer/button/counterstamped is a great day.

My property only dates back to the 1820s and it's really hard to break into the 1700's in my whole area.
Thank you! I dig so much old farm implements, nails, and washers, it's easy to get complacent at times. The patina on this, the size, and heft caused me to look closer in the end. Glad I did!
And I never find coins like this. My oldest on the property by far would a 1857 half dime. Now that I've broken into the 18th century, I am all the more intrigued to keep hunting. Cheers!

OP
OP
Fugio

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of all the early New England coppers out there you hardly see a Mass cent in the mix, that's a good one to cross off the list but I'm sure you'll be out there gunning for an upgrade!
Really nice find for the end of the season!
Thanks for the response! And I agree, I was not expecting this by any means. Always dreamt of finding a colonial or pre federal issue. Now if I could just bag a pine tree shilling!

beanflippinclint

Oct 26, 2023
Bonner county ,north Idaho
Detector(s) used
Mine lab ctx3030. Excalibur,deus,deus2 ,deus orx, and about 5 others
Just deus 2 v2.0 and orx from now on .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice I only got nails my last of the year hunt ...got 8” yesterday I did dig today just snow .....that’s 100 years older than anything I’ve even seen lol

OP
OP
Fugio

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice I only got nails my last of the year hunt ...got 8” yesterday I did dig today just snow .....that’s 100 years older than anything I’ve even seen lol
I hear you, my friend. Good finds have a tendency to be few and far between. Like so many things in life, I've found that persistance is key in metal detecting. I've gone countless hours with only junk and modern change to show for my efforts. But once you pop an amazing find out of the ground, holding history in the palm of your hand, somehow it all becomes worth it. I wish you all the best next season!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s actually in pretty nice shape. I have had the good fortune to find three Mass coppers, all of which were highly corroded and barely identifiable. Congrats on a great find.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow a Massachusetts copper Congratulations ..try to make it back
I’m confident something nice will turn up again

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome score out your back door!

beanflippinclint

Oct 26, 2023
Bonner county ,north Idaho
Detector(s) used
Mine lab ctx3030. Excalibur,deus,deus2 ,deus orx, and about 5 others
Just deus 2 v2.0 and orx from now on .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you, my friend. Good finds have a tendency to be few and far between. Like so many things in life, I've found that persistance is key in metal detecting. I've gone countless hours with only junk and modern change to show for my efforts. But once you pop an amazing find out of the ground, holding history in the palm of your hand, somehow it all becomes worth it. I wish you all the best next season!
Yes even a fake Diamond gold ring will make your day for months ...love the hunt ..just learning relics .you get spoiled at San Diego -La beaches. You can make two to $500 on Mexican soccer field in San Diego on any given Monday......got the maps out here in north idaho lots of old butt 1850’s max.still trying to get my head around trash ....as being good ...

OP
OP
Fugio

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow a Massachusetts copper Congratulations ..try to make it back
I’m confident something nice will turn up again
Thank you! This find has me charged up for next season. I even left the plug open to remember the exact spot I found it haha (which of course I only did because it's my own property). I will be sure to post any other cool finds when I get out there next season.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I even left the plug open to remember the exact spot I found it haha (which of course I only did because it's my own property)
Those little marker flags they use to mark buried utility lines work well for that, if you don't want to leave the hole open.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions