SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Stories like this make us better divers........( if we learn from them ha ha)

Any other "experiences" out that that made you a more cautious diver??

CAN'T FIND A WRECK FOR TOFFEE...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478445216.156411.jpg

HMS Elk
There I was at 100 ft ( 30 meters) deep really annoyed with myself because we were " in the area" of the wreck or " Mystery site diving" for those of you who may have been to a resort where the dive master screwed up and anchored in the wrong place, so, "you stupid diver" was at the forefront of my mind.

Anyway back to the story, I had a student with me and we were looking for HMS Elk a tiny trawler from the Second World War ( see above) that was sunk about a mile in front of the breakwater in Plymouth Sound in the UK. It's a great dive and full of interesting places to swim through and always loaded with fish. The visibility was OK the water fairly cold but apart from that a decent dive, if you like looking at sand that is, but I would crawl over half a mile of broken glass to see a pin up....oops, sorry wrong web site, I mean..... Broken glass to do a dive, any dive but we digress.

So picture the scene, I am mega hacked off because I can't find the wreck I have been on a hundred times before, I am responsible for a student's dive. This individual now thinks I am dumb ( I know we've already established this) and there is nothing but sand to look at. Lo and behold things start to improve, I find a 5 inch brass military shell case, probably from a warship signaling with a blank or something, it was huge and very shiny.

"Now we're talking", I thought, I can imagine this thing made into an ashtray for my desk or a door stop but how the heck am I going to get a 150 lb shell back on the boat, the thing weighs a ton and of course it's also full of water. Anyway, the annoyed diver ( that's me by the way) drags it across the seabed burning unbelievable amounts of precious air while doing so.

My student was continuously motioning towards the shell and pointing at himself, there was no way this beginner was getting my shell case., absolutely no chance. When we got to the anchor line I spent a considerable amount of time signaling in the scuba diving equivalent of purple crayon what we were going to do between the two of us to get it to the boat somehow.

You can imagine my surprise when this cheeky blighter snatched control of the shell case from me. I considered fighting for my find but thought because I was the instructor and the boss I could just pull diving rank when we get on the boat, I also decided if you want it that much you can lug it all the way to the boat, see how you like those onions, pears, apples or whatever the saying is?

Imagine my horror when "newbie diver" flips the thing upside down, fills it with air from his regulator and slowly and very carefully gets it to the boat and willing hands retrieve it from us. If you think from this story, I was annoyed at myself before, imagine my demeanor now I have been, shamed into insignificance and it was explained to me in the "newbie diver" equivalent of purple crayon that there was no plan to steal my find after all. When I started lugging this thing across the universe my dive buddy was simply offering to save me the trouble by putting air into it and floating it to the anchor line and then onto the boat.

So not finding the wreck was stupid because I had been there many times before, lugging the thing across the seabed at 100 ft depth was very stupid, but not listening to a dive buddy just because I was the expert was stratospherically dumb.
This along with countless other Dumb Diving Days has made me a much better dive professional.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeh I know Capt E but most of my friends already know I'm not the sharpest tool in the cave

Enginefitter

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when I first read that on your website a little while back, I almost spit my coffee all over the computer laughing.

One thing I love about you Sads is how you know how to laugh at yourself, wish we had more like that.

I hope this takes off and more people post there experience's.

"Sharpest knife in the drawer" you muttenhead, get it right will ya. Can't take you anywhere.

Later Buddy,

Engine

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Now Now fitter...don't be too hard on Kevin....it's not his fault he doesn't speak the King's proper english!!

Kevin...( shakes head)....ummm...n/m lol.

:tongue3:

ag

Enginefitter

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya ag but he lives on an island, the only caves he has near him are underwater.

Me thinks he has been sucking to much nitrogen or whatever gas it is that isn't good for the brain.

He does have his own language.

Engine

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lol...that "language" of Kevins is easy to understand once you put the puzzle together...between the glazed eyes, hunched over posture, and bloody knuckles where he drags his hands on the ground...

Grunt.." RUM"
GRUNT GRUNT.." MORE rum!!"

Lol...

:laughing7:

( I'm pretty confident my phone will ring in the near future and I'll get an earful lmao)

Ag

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kev, you told me that story when you were here, but you never said what you did with the shell case. Did you make it into an ashtray or something else useful or just a doorstop?

Post a pic if you still have the shell case. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would love to see it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn Kevin, do we need to get you some water-wings and safety-scissors too?

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Both Ag and Engine fitter can get stuffed. Your sailing close to the wing too Jason... Ha ha

You think that was dumb, how about this one?

Anchors aweigh, sorry I mean away...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478544355.116200.jpg

I am generally a very safe diver, I am honest, I do understand though that reading this page might suggest otherwise. Anyway, on with the story of the day I was taught a very hard lesson by an anchor..

I was invited to take some NASCAR Pit crew guys diving (this is motor racing for any non Americans reading this). I took them to the Blue Hole East of Nassau in the Bahamas because this was the best dive I could do at their end of town.

We arrived at the site and it was flat clam, not a breath of wind and non in sight. So I throw in the anchor ask the boat driver to pull back a little till the anchor grips ( see I told you I was safety conscious) and we got ready for a great dive. Off we go and headed straight down.

During the dive I noticed the light above getting darker and darker. I could see the surface above me looking quite rough, "Never mind" I thought we are on our way back to the line so we will be ok. The closer we got to the place where the anchor was, the more nervous I was getting. Imagine my surprise when I noticed the rocky area where the anchor used to be doing a good impression of a place where " an anchor used to be".

Quick as a flash I motioned to the group to enjoy the coral area we were in while they were using up their remaining air until they get down to 500 Psi as per the dive brief. I sneaked off in the direction of "downwind" only to see on surfacing the boat moving at speed away from us.

To cut a very long story short I eventually caught it, got on board, and slowly motored back to the Blue Hole, needless to say I will NEVER dive again without snugging the anchor so it can't do this if the weather changes. I probably didn't put enough rode out either, no that really is rode and not rope ( even though it might be made of rope duh?) for the non mariners out there.

Lesson learnt, especially as I had to dump my gear to catch the boat. It would have really taught me a lesson if I had lost it but I managed to pick it up floating on the way back........

Last edited:
OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kev, you told me that story when you were here, but you never said what you did with the shell case. Did you make it into an ashtray or something else useful or just a doorstop?

Post a pic if you still have the shell case. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would love to see it.

Mike I gave it to the student, but for heavens sake don't tell anyone!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To cut a very long story short I eventually caught it, got on board, and slowly motored back to the Blue Hole, needless to say I will NEVER dive again without snugging the anchor so it can't do this if the weather changes. I probably didn't put enough rode out either, no that really is rode and not rope ( even though it might be made of rope duh?) for the non mariners out there.

Lesson learnt, especially as I had to dump my gear to catch the boat. It would have really taught me a lesson if I had lost it but I managed to pick it up floating on the way back........

Oh man, that was always a huge fear when I dove solo from my boat. Thankfully it never happened but I can only imagine the feeling of dread to find your boat leaving without you.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jason, lesson learnt, now if the winds blowing, I stay a lot closer to the anchor,.....or I hold on to it and let the wind and current blow the boat.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep it up and they will be using you for the anchor! :cussing: :anchor:

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is your story! https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/33134347/ss-yongala-townsville/#page1

Officer Griffiths said it appeared the diver did not realise how strong the current would be around the Yongala wreck.

"He's gone by himself, which is a bit naughty. He jumped in the water from his boat and then realised the current was so strong and he simply couldn't get back," he said.
The rescue officer told 7 News that the diver, who was not using his personal locator beacon, was in pretty high spirits when they saw him in hospital.

oh yeah, that was your doppelganger!
Cheers!

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just an fyi..my phone DID ring at exactly 12:30 pm today...guess who?..... yup...***grunt grunt snuffle grunt"...lol

Was good to "speak" with ya Kevin...:occasion14:

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stories like this make us better divers........( if we learn from them ha ha)

Any other "experiences" out that that made you a more cautious diver??

CAN'T FIND A WRECK FOR TOFFEE...

View attachment 1378629

HMS Elk
There I was at 100 ft ( 30 meters) deep really annoyed with myself because we were " in the area" of the wreck or " Mystery site diving" for those of you who may have been to a resort where the dive master screwed up and anchored in the wrong place, so, "you stupid diver" was at the forefront of my mind.

Anyway back to the story, I had a student with me and we were looking for HMS Elk a tiny trawler from the Second World War ( see above) that was sunk about a mile in front of the breakwater in Plymouth Sound in the UK. It's a great dive and full of interesting places to swim through and always loaded with fish. The visibility was OK the water fairly cold but apart from that a decent dive, if you like looking at sand that is, but I would crawl over half a mile of broken glass to see a pin up....oops, sorry wrong web site, I mean..... Broken glass to do a dive, any dive but we digress.

So picture the scene, I am mega hacked off because I can't find the wreck I have been on a hundred times before, I am responsible for a student's dive. This individual now thinks I am dumb ( I know we've already established this) and there is nothing but sand to look at. Lo and behold things start to improve, I find a 5 inch brass military shell case, probably from a warship signaling with a blank or something, it was huge and very shiny.

"Now we're talking", I thought, I can imagine this thing made into an ashtray for my desk or a door stop but how the heck am I going to get a 150 lb shell back on the boat, the thing weighs a ton and of course it's also full of water. Anyway, the annoyed diver ( that's me by the way) drags it across the seabed burning unbelievable amounts of precious air while doing so.

My student was continuously motioning towards the shell and pointing at himself, there was no way this beginner was getting my shell case., absolutely no chance. When we got to the anchor line I spent a considerable amount of time signaling in the scuba diving equivalent of purple crayon what we were going to do between the two of us to get it to the boat somehow.

You can imagine my surprise when this cheeky blighter snatched control of the shell case from me. I considered fighting for my find but thought because I was the instructor and the boss I could just pull diving rank when we get on the boat, I also decided if you want it that much you can lug it all the way to the boat, see how you like those onions, pears, apples or whatever the saying is?

Imagine my horror when "newbie diver" flips the thing upside down, fills it with air from his regulator and slowly and very carefully gets it to the boat and willing hands retrieve it from us. If you think from this story, I was annoyed at myself before, imagine my demeanor now I have been, shamed into insignificance and it was explained to me in the "newbie diver" equivalent of purple crayon that there was no plan to steal my find after all. When I started lugging this thing across the universe my dive buddy was simply offering to save me the trouble by putting air into it and floating it to the anchor line and then onto the boat.

So not finding the wreck was stupid because I had been there many times before, lugging the thing across the seabed at 100 ft depth was very stupid, but not listening to a dive buddy just because I was the expert was stratospherically dumb.
This along with countless other Dumb Diving Days has made me a much better dive professional.
Story time again. Ha Ha It's funny how things work. You can have these guys go to college for 10 years. Their great at Math, computers etc. But let them try and change a flat tire and their all thumbs. Ha Ha Before I was finished reading your story. I was saying to myself. Why not fill it with air. Ha Ha Just don't have to many days like that one.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Frankie, where were you when I needed you? ..ha ha