What's new

Dump advice

banderOH

Greenie
Joined
Jul 19, 2011
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hartville,OH
Detector(s) used
Ace250, BH
About 5 years ago my wife and I moved to a small town in Ohio. We purchased a 1930's house with about 2 acres (most of it wooded). Bout a year later, my oldest son was playing in the woods and noticed a pottery shard sticking out of the dirt. He started digging which led to the discover of crocks, bottles, pipes, locks, junk, etc.......Anyhow we had a ball digging this stuff up (all in a 3 foot area). I thought this was just coincidence until he was in another part of the woods and started finding the same things. This time we dug a small trench about 2 foot wide and 4 foot long. We pulled out 50 - 60 complete bottles, about 100 white ceramic lids, etc....... Anyhow, the older lady across the street confirmed that the property I live on used to be the dump for an old farm down the road. SOOOO I am asking for advice. What is the best way to determine where to dig next, how do I do it without breaking stuff, what do you do with 5 gallon buckets of old bottles????? My guess is there not worth much, but there cool.
 
Post in the Bottles and Glass forum, you will get the info you need.
 
Some of the bottles may well be worth more than you're thinking. The older, collectible ones often go for good prices.
Luvsdux
 
I had pretty-near the same situation, as a kid. A local ball field was built on an old dump-site. We found many bottles and doo-dads at the lower edge of the park. The local squad came by and told us to get lost. You have a REALLY good oportunity to pick out some good finds out of all that rubble! I would suggest to work "down and out" from any bottle clusters. Heck, it's your place so decide how intense you wish to dig and how you wish to place the "diggin's". Good Luck! TTC
 
Thanks everybody. I will try to get everything together and post some pics this weekend.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom