Dump bank question

mishra142

Oct 4, 2011
I set up a few new dump banks recently. I've been dump 1k in halves at a few of their branches weekly. They have the coin machine behind the counter. One bank has told me "our machines really are not for large amount of coins" and "you know we get charged to return these coins" my typical response is that yes I understand that but I don't feel I'm abusing it I only come in weekly. I anticipate further questions and them giving me a hard time. What would you do?

Upvote 0

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find one with a kiosk, they also hate heavy lifting. My dump bank doesn't mind when I dump, I also fill the bag almost every time I go in. The lady who manages the machine just had a hip replacement and I pull the bags out for her.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I try to limit my dumps to under 1 box, usually less than 450 even, no more than weekly and still recently a bank that I've never taken more than 350 at one time told me that they don't have the room to just exchange coins for me. There are no machines near me so I roll everything and lately it seems like every teller keeps asking me, "where do you get all of these coins from." I can get as many coins as I want but getting rid of what I get is my problem. I don't want to do coin lock bags because of the paper trail that depositing large amounts of coins would leave. I don't think it matters what you or I consider is abusing the privilege of using each Bank is, it is up to them and the best way to avoid losing a dump bank is by accommodating them whatever the amount is without having to be told. I have given the branch that complained to me a break for the past two weeks and figure I will start re-dumping again with smaller amounts and see how that goes. If you think they are going to give you a hard time, then I think you need to rethink the amounts or times that you consider OK, try something different like the coin lock bags, or get some new dump banks ready because sooner or later if push comes to shove I don't think you can move a bank. Just because some people here get away with dumping huge amounts of coin doesn't mean you are also entitled to burden any bank you chose with whatever amount you chose JMO.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd tell them that until they start charging me, just deal with it, and earn their paycheck.

I didn't really mean that. I don't think you are being unreasonalble. The tellers are just generaly lazy.

Last edited:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I bring in 1000.00 in halves rolled up to my dump banks once every 3 weeks, 4 weeks if posible. When I first started to dump I asked how muchj and how often, I was told as much as I wanted, I said would 2000.00 in a week be ok? They said yes, as long as it's rolled up,( I've never brought that much in) so I stuck with the 1000.00 every 3-4 weeks, Now coming in only that often I get the, "uhhhh, more coin" as I stand in line waiting to change out. So they may say it's ok to bring a lot, but I'd really try to spread it out alot. It's definetly the hardest part of this hobby, ordering is easy, the dumping is a pain in the but. Some days I have to drive round trip to dump 1 dump, about 45- 50 minutes. It's definetly not for everyone, and banks will eventually give you the stink eye after they see you alot. Good luck, Maverick.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few things you can do. If you want my 2 cents pm me and i will fill you in the easy way.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my local banks has counting machine for use of the customers, so I opened a passbook savings account with $10 which lets you use it for free. The coins drop into bags that then get sent to the Fed Reserve Bank in Boston.
I asked them about customer rolled halves but they refuse to give them out, they say they are concerned that the person requesting them might get a slug so they won't give them out.

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
if the problem is they don't want to carry the bag, say you could carry the bag for them...

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent dumped a big one yet but Id ready for the attitude if they do. I'm buying from my bank where I have my checking, savings, an IRA, a 529, and bought two houses, three cars, and a few other things like seat licenses through. If they want to complian I will tell the manager feel free to withdraw every dang cent from my accounts and kiss my rear as I leave.

That or suck it up and happily take my money regardless how much it weighs. Remember if they dont want to take care of thier customers someone else will.

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben Cartwright SASS;2887104 I asked them about customer rolled halves but they refuse to give them out said:
If you want them, just say you will tolerate the few slugs, if any.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread