What's new

Dump Day & other stuff

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
4,291
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Dump Day & other stuff

Well today was dump day and what a time I had. Normally I divide my dumps between 2 banks but not today. It took 6 banks to dump my halves as four coin counters broke down on me. Talk about bad luck !
Last week two coin counters broke down on me.
I'm the only CRHer that dumps at these banks,so I give them a good workout.
I'm cutting down to 10 boxes this week,8 tomorrow,and 2 on Thursday. I'm expecting a big score,so standby for the news.
This week,even without a big score, I should exceed my totals from last year which was a goal I set for myself. :hello2:
Then I will be taking a good long break till the end of the year. I plan on cutting back to 8 boxes of halves a week. Pick them up in the morning and dump them on the same day.
I found the post on the Hobo Nickels very interesting,and did a bit more research on them. I found a web page for collectors. Sent the info to my son, who is more artistic than myself. I'll bet he he can reproduce those nickels, and make some original designs himself. We'll see.
Lately I have a desire to collect,hoard, silver dollars. Nothing slabbed or special,just junk silver quality Morgan and Peace dollars.
Did some research on these and found a web page with counterfeits. The difference between the real thing and fakes was quite subtle, in my opinion, and easily missed by the novice(me). They even ring like silver,although someone with good hearing can tell the difference. So I don't know now,maybe I'll just get Eagles and Maples,but I do like the oldies.
HH
Rich
 
Upvote 0
Re: Dump Day & other stuff

I like your strategy! I bought up roll after roll of Walkers in the last year, hoping that numismatic value exceeds melt, but now I see they are trading at $170 a roll. I've made good profit if I sell, about $40 a roll. But not selling! I was buying decent Morgans early this year, at $15 ea. Morgan dollars are a good bet, if you know what you're buying.
 
Re: Dump Day & other stuff

If you stick to well circulated silver dollars you should be ok. From what I have seen the counterfeits look BU.

I scored some Fine and lower condition Peace dollars at below spot recently. I figured they will at least be worth their silver value.

Jim
 
Re: Dump Day & other stuff

Wow! You broke four machines!
I have only broken one, and they were able to sort of fix it. Enough to get my coins through. (It would only work in bursts, counting maybe 20 coins and then stop).
 
Re: Dump Day & other stuff

jim4silver said:
If you stick to well circulated silver dollars you should be ok. From what I have seen the counterfeits look BU.

I scored some Fine and lower condition Peace dollars at below spot recently. I figured they will at least be worth their silver value.

Jim

Jim,
According to the ones I saw they look slick and are described as slippery to to the touch. Certainly were not even close to AU looking. I tried to find the differences to see if I could spot them before I continued reading.
The only thing I spotted was a difference in the numeral 1. Which looked liked a straight vertical line.
Love to find Peace dollars below spot.
HH
Rich
 
Re: Dump Day & other stuff

The article I saw online was a Chinese counterfeiting ring that was making BU Morgans and other old US coinage. They showed pictures and everything looked pretty real in the photos.

If silver and gold keeps going up, I imagine there will be all types of counterfeits being made. Gold coins are much harder to counterfeit due to the unusual weight gold has. I don't know about silver though.

Jim
 
Re: Dump Day & other stuff

Good post, Rich. I enjoyed what you had to say in it.
Things have been slow here at my end. Coin show
coming up the end of the month. Will see what the
dealers are saying about silver. If the price stays up I
may sell some cruddy 40%ers and re-invest the money
in good quality coins. Will let you know.
rileyboy
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom